Find
Notify
Tools

Idaho Hunting???
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi Guys. I'm after some input.

My brother and I are roughing together an idea which would see us visit the states for some part of the year, each year for the next 5-10 years. We have at this stage settled on Idaho, as the hunting looks pretty good and it seems to be one of the less complicated areas to start with.The idea is that instead of using guides each time, we learn and teach ourselves about the game animals, forests and hunting that is so largely different to what we have here.
That being said, we realize that there is a vast difference in rules and regs and the tag system, to what we are accustomed too, and it is kind of confusing when trying to decipher it from several thousand miles away.
Our current thinking is that for the first trip,to simplify things, we hire a drop camp from one of the outfitters who specialize in such. I would welcome any thoughts, good or bad, Ideas, or even recommendations of quality outfitters who do so.

Cheers

Shanks

Posts: 4588 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I live in Idaho County, Idaho. I don't use outfitters here so someone else will have to help. I can say with the wolf population the way it is, finding an outfitter with time to take you should be no problem. You can PM me specific questions. I can say you should probably not hire Boulder Creek Outfitters. You can look around on Google earth.
Without knowing what your after as far as animals, its hard to advise you. The Moose, Sheep, Mountain Goat application period is this month so time is pressing for that application. They draw those in June.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cheers Navaluk, At this stage we are not thinking of the harder draw species. Deer or bear is where we would start.
Are the Wolves having that big an effect?

Posts: 4588 | Location: South Island NZ | Registered: 21 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The wolves have damaged the moose and elk populations. the remaining elk have changed their lifestyles and now use different terrain to some degree. I have not seen a serious impact on Whitetail or Mule deer. Bear hunting is good to very good. (Black bear only)
Bear season is on right now and there is another season in the fall. We can use hounds or spot and stalk or bait. In bear areas the longer the growing season the bigger the bears on average. The higher you go the shorter the growing season and the smaller the bears on average. Some of the higher areas allow 2 bears. We also have an incredible variety of bear colors. I've seen black, red-brown, brown, chocolate brown, brown with a blond stripe down the spine and a variety of blond colors. I have only seen one that was straw blond, (It was a sow with a chocolate cub and a black cub).

Once you get it nailed down, let me know.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
the elk have definitely changed their habits because of the wolf populations.
they tend to hang in wide open unapproachable positions or go mountain goat.
our deer are taking a hit, I have never seen so many lone does [without fawns] out and about as last fall.
they were also very spooked in the brush and would just run at the slightest movement, instead of investigating like normal.
the ranchers to the east of me are also losing a good bit of cattle out on the open range.
the wolves are still leery of human contact down here.
me and my girl pushed a pair right in front of my wife last fall when we were working some new growth areas.

i'm at the south end of the state near the Wyoming border.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shanks,

First of all I have a soft spot for you Kiwis since I hunted the south island with a friend a number of times. I love NZ. Unfortunately the past few years I've been unable to get time off during the roar.

On to Idaho. I hunted Id for about 5 years from a drop camp (2005-2010 unit 17 Selway) in September during the rut (your roar). I took a nice elk in 2006 and two deer in other years. My friend shot two bears during the same time. That said, after 2010 I gave up on Id. The wolves (from what I saw and read) have had a huge effect on the elk. Realize that during our fall, I want to hunt elk. Bear and deer populations have been less affected by wolves from what I know. For a guy coming from NZ in a drop camp with a good possibility of seeing and connecting on a bear or wolf it may be worth it. It (unit 17) is certainly one of the places in the states that is very wild and primitive. PM me if you want more of my humble thoughts.

BTW, I'm no expert on Id and I hope I didn't anger any outfitters in Id that still have great hunting available to their clients.

Armbar.

Posts: 170 | Location: So Cal, ....USA | Registered: 25 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. This all helps me put together a picture.

One of Us
Picture of hunt99
posted Hide Post
Shanks, I have hunted extensively in Idaho and am assuming that you are after Elk and Deer (mule deer or whitetail?). Idaho has gobs of public land but they went to a pick your season pick your weapon approach and you get limited to a specified region for elk. The good news is that tags are first-come, first serve and you could hunt in 2013 if you are ready. Just check their website: http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/public/hunt/
which you probably already have.

PM me if you are interested in some hands-on assistance or loaner gear in exchange for some help with a NZ hunt!

I hunt to live and live to hunt!

Posts: 299 | Location: Big Sky Country! | Registered: 19 March 2011Reply With Quote