Find
Notify
Tools

My Son's New Deer Rifle
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hey guys,
I've pulled the trigger on my new barrel project. [Wink] (Actually, this will be a barrel for my 9 year old son to use deer hunting this fall.) Will be using a Les Bauska barrel blank to make a 20", 1:10" twist, blued, Contender carbine barrel to be chambered into 300/221 by Mike Sirois of On Time Technology. I'll use the factory synthetic forend and butt stock. Will have to cut off a few inches off the butt stock to fit my son's length of pull. Planning on using Hornady 130 gr SP (not the SSP bullet which has apparently been discontinued; despite e-mailing my questions twice, Hornady has yet to respond.... [Eek!] ) and/or 125 gr NBT. Hoping to get 2500 fps. I also have a 22 LR Contender carbine barrel which will give my son a chance to practice w/ during squirrel season. [Wink] He didn't have the grip strength to open the action so ordered a device from Mike Bellm that should help. I'm hoping everything works out so that my son can try some deer hunting in November. [Smile] Thanks to you guys for putting me onto Les Bauska and OTT. Price wise, this will end up being LESS than a factory (Fox Ridge) TC barrel. [Cool] Gary T.

Posts: 491 | Location: Springhill, LA | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bluetick
posted Hide Post
Gary
Way to go getting him started out right. Sounds like a great project. I hope he is as excited about it as you are.
Let us know how well he does with it this fall.
By the way when a huge buck comes out, don't freak out, take the gun from him and shoot it your self. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

God Bless
Shawn

Posts: 773 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Gary. Hey this sounds like a .300 whisper which is the .221 fireball case necked up to .30 caliber for a very efficient, deer capable cartridge to moderate ranges. Don't forget to try the 150 grain nosler balistic-tip which works very well in this cartridge. From a 21" barrel about 2100 ft/sec can be gotten.

Posts: 174 | Location: texas | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote