Find
Notify
Tools

Prairie Ghost Camo?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of GrosVentreGeorge
posted
I went to Sportsman's Warehouse tonight to get another prairie ghost shirt because in my opinion the two I had wasn't enough for my three day weekends. I had a hard time finding them and had to have a pretty little blonde sales "associate" help me. They only had two shirts in stock, luckily one in XL for me, and that was it. She told me that the company had been owned by a Husband Wife team who decided they couldn't stand each other. Rather than try and decide who gets the company they agreed to sell it and split the proceeds 50/50.

Does anybody else out there know anything about this? It is very disturbing news to me since it is my favorite camo pattern. I have tried other patterns and the only other pattern that fits north central Montana is the digital ARPAT camo. That is just my opinion though and is worth the paper it is written on.

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." -- General George S. Patton

Posts: 427 | Location: The Big Sky aka Dodson, MT | Registered: 22 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, George, I can't help you with the future ownership of the Prairie Ghost company.

But I did want to agree with you about 1) the suitability of Prarie Ghost camo for North Central Montana, 2) as you mention, the new US Army digital camo also seems to work well.

Insofar as camo is necessary at all (which it is probably not, but fun stuff nevertheless), most camos I have come across are too dark for the prarie environment. The only other camo I have found, which might be perfectly at home on the prairie would be Cabela's "Open Country" - although in some products they seem to have darkened that pattern considerably of late, much to the detriment of fading into the sage brush.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doesn't wearing hunters ORANGE somewhat cancel out the camo??

FN in MT

'I'm tryin' to think, but nothin' happens"!

Curly Howard
Definitive Stooge

Posts: 350 | Location: Cascade, Montana | Registered: 26 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
quote:

Not if you're hunting in a pumpkin patch. rotflmo

BTW I have several Prairie Ghost Camo shirts that I really like.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1635 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in Montana:

It certainly would to the human eye. Some people claim animals don't see the orange as we do, who is to know? In any event, I doubt camo is necessary, but, as I said, still fun.

Oh, and btw, not all areas of MT require orange - e.g. the Indian reservations.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mho:
Sorry, George, I can't help you with the future ownership of the Prairie Ghost company.

But I did want to agree with you about 1) the suitability of Prarie Ghost camo for North Central Montana, 2) as you mention, the new US Army digital camo also seems to work well.

Insofar as camo is necessary at all (which it is probably not, but fun stuff nevertheless), most camos I have come across are too dark for the prarie environment. The only other camo I have found, which might be perfectly at home on the prairie would be Cabela's "Open Country" - although in some products they seem to have darkened that pattern considerably of late, much to the detriment of fading into the sage brush.

- mike
I do like the look of Cabela's "open country" but I have been able to see it in person. Another camo that seems well suited is Mothwing's canyon mimicry, but it is pretty dark.

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." -- General George S. Patton

Posts: 427 | Location: The Big Sky aka Dodson, MT | Registered: 22 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of wino
posted Hide Post
I guess this might be the end of my desert shadow also, i think the same company makes it. Is it kings outdoor world? Frowner

"Earth First, we'll mine the other planets later"
"Strip mining prevents forest fires"

Posts: 2407 | Location: smokey southren humboldt county nevada | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
Here is the company, but their website is all screwed up and has been for at least two weeks.

Prarie ghost

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wino:
I guess this might be the end of my desert shadow also, i think the same company makes it. Is it kings outdoor world? Frowner
No your still good man. King's outdoor world is a different entity all together. You should still be able to get your fix.