New
Find
Notify
Tools

Super Lite recoiling deer rifle
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
why set back and re-chamber the .243? take up reloading, and produce ammo with the same ballistics/recoil as the 6mmx45. a round-nose 100-grain bullet at 2,450/2,500 fps would be very light recoiling. swap in a pachmayr decellerator pad, drill out the butt stock a bit, and add some lead. if you get the weight of the rig up to 8.5 pounds, the recoil with a 100-grain bullet at 2,500 fps should be about 7 foot pounds. the load should be deer capable on out to 150 yards or better.

Posts: 298 | Location: birmingham, alabama | Registered: 28 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If weight is an issue too, then the very best option, I think, is a 6x45 in a small action gun. As I mentioned, I have two of these. One of them I built for my daughter to learn to shoot. It is an Interarms Mini MarkX. I made a special laminated stock from really light curly maple, used an 18" Douglas No. 1 barrel and a Burris compact scope. The entire gun only weighs 5-51/2#. It has essentially no felt recoil when used with 75 - 85 gr bullets. With a premium bullet in that weight range, or a 95 nosler partition loaded down a little, I don't believe there is a lighter recoiling, lighter weight adequate deer rifle available.

Posts: 1238 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I also have a 6x45mm, a Savage 24V that was rebored. In 1994 or so, it cost $135 to get the work done. You might consider getting an NEF Handi-Rifle rebored 6mm, leaving the .223 chamber in place.

Tom

Posts: 14617 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TomP
Who did the rebore job for you? A few years ago I investigated having it done, and the costs approached a new barrel.

In 1975 I sent an 03/A3 barrel to Atkinson (I think. He was once in business with Marquartte) and had it rebored to 338/06. It is accurate and I think it only cost about what you paid for your rebore job. I sorta think Atkinson is dead now.

Sometimes a good rebore job is the answer. It removes the requirements for rebedding the stock or buying a new one, and the blue job, and other things associated with a new barrel.

After reading the posts, I think the 223 class of cartridges is the best route when handloaded with a good big game bullet. Be sure to check the twist so that it will handle heavy big game bullets. The next best seems to me to try to load down the .243 to about the level of the 223 or similar 6MMs. That would be the cheapest route.

Jerry

[ 03-01-2003, 07:13: Message edited by: JerryM ]

Posts: 391 | Location: NM | Registered: 07 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
If you're going to go the .223 route (and there isn't anything wrong with that). I'd suggest getting a couple of the NEF rifles. Weight isn't excessive but enough to further cut down on recoil and they have a reputation for good accuracy despite some other faults.

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
http://www.hodgdon.com/data/youth/index.php

Take a look at the youth loads listed on the Hodgdon website. Like others have suggested, using reduced loads should be the best alternative. That way they wouldn't have to learn to shoot a new/unfamiliar rifle. Those reduced loads look pretty good. They have reduced loads listed for the 30-30 and .243 that you mentioned (as well as most other cartridges). [Smile]

Posts: 117 | Location: Tumwater, Washington | Registered: 13 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JerryM:
TomP
Who did the rebore job for you? A few years ago I investigated having it done, and the costs approached a new barrel.

Hi Jerry

Richard Nickle did it; he's since gone to his reward. I remember him saying there were only two gunsmiths' lathes in the country that could accommodate a Savage 24V because of the integral shotgun barrel, but don't remember who he said had the other one. The twist on this one is 9.5:1, a compromise so that I could use heavier 6mm bullets. I've only used 85-grain Noslers though.

Tom

Posts: 14617 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Tom.
I do think that reboring is the way to go sometimes, but it isn't all that cheap anymore.

FWIW, I once was looking into the reboring of my TC muzzleloader. A gunsmith told me that it wasn't done kbecause it was a hammer forged barrel, and that set up stresses that when it was rebored you did not know what would result.

I assume he was correct.

Jerry

Posts: 391 | Location: NM | Registered: 07 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of lofter
posted Hide Post
the youth load for 243 80 gr hornady comes out to about 6 lbs of recoil.....compared to factory 30/30 of about 15 ft/lbs.

Posts: 411 | Location: Southeastern Pa | Registered: 30 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I dont know how Pennsylvania law is but here in Alabama the physically disabled can use a crossbow.

Jim

Posts: 1115 | Location: Huntsville, Alabama | Registered: 07 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SmallCal
Have you looked into the guns themselves? I have memories of a loose stock causing a gun really bite when fired. Maby something to look into.
Gene

[ 03-02-2003, 23:12: Message edited by: Gene ]

Posts: 125 | Location: Altus, OK,USA | Registered: 30 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
243 and youth load from Hodgden

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote