THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Good moose bullet in caliper .308 win

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Good moose bullet in caliper .308 win
 Login/Join

posted
Sorry my bad english. I am a moose hunter from finland. I need a good bullet for moose hunting. What is your favorit bullet? My shootingrange is about 40-150 yards and caliper .308 win. How about bullets speed? 2300 f/s, 2500 f/s, 2600 or 2800 f/s. What weight you use 165, 180, or 200 grain bullets?
Moose live weight here in finland is about 300-1100 pounds. Average weight is about 750 pounds.Thank you for your help.

Posts: 7 | Location: Finland | Registered: 30 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
Another 308 post but with a twist. Good question.

I think 180gr. would be plenty but you can't go wrong with a 200. I would suggest a controlled expansion bullet like Fail Safe, Barnes X, Trophy bonded, Partition, or Swift A Frame.

I have seen moose go down with a 308 standered factory loaded round nose also.

Good eating.

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Flip
posted Hide Post
I shot a few Kudu, which should be about the same wheight with a 308 and if I remember correctly 200 grain Sakos and they worked very well, I would stay with a 200 grain or a 180 bullet.

Posts: 931 | Location: Nambia | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pumpkinheaver
posted Hide Post
180gr Nosler partion.

Posts: 414 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 28 February 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Today's .308 (and .30-06, for that matter) are far more effective than they were just a decade or two ago. For moose or elk, I'd go with a premium 180 grain bullet -- I personally use Nosler Partition Jackets because they've ever failed me. As for velocity, I'd load it as hot as the manuals allow, consistent with reasonable accuracy. That would be somewhere in the vicinity of 2,600 fps.

An alternative, if you like factory ammunition, would be the new "Hi Energy" or "Lite Magnum" loads which will drive the same bullets to significantly higher velocities.

Posts: 17 | Location: Arkansas, deep in the Ozarks | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
markkur; Agree with Vern Humphrey. A 180 Partition at about 2600 will lay those moose down just fine. Like Vern, have NEVER had a Partition let me down, and I've been using them nearly 40 years now. Regards, Eagleye. [Big Grin]

Posts: 113 | Location: B.C., Canada | Registered: 18 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
I shot a moose with my 308 with a 165 barnes X bullet at 2660 fps.
I bet any 180 factory load would work fine.
This year I am working on a load for the 200 gr speer spitzer.
I shot a black bear with 180 rem corelokt factory load . I hit the bear under the chin and found the bullet mushroomed nicely in the rear leg. Plenty of penetration.

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi
I recomend the Norma Oryx bullet, 200 gr for moose. This bullet is rather soft but since it is bonded it realy holds together.

I load my TRG22 with this bullet now (used 180 gr Oryx last season)to 800 ms. Use as mutch speed you can get in your 308 Win, the bullet will stand it never mind what bone you might hit.

In Sweden at least, it is very atractivly priced, about haf price comared with Nosler PT.

//

Posts: 68 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 06 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
markkur,

I used the .308 Win Norma factory ammunition with the 180 grain Oryx bullet on my last hunt in Africa. These bullets worked fine for me, and fed in my Steyr.

Some people report the blunt bullet nose does not feed well in their rifles.

good hunting.

jim dodd

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Markku: As a fellow finnish I advise you to stick on Lapua Megas. Theyre as good as any bullet in .308 Win and they're also very cheap in Finland.
To make any use of the "premium" bullets you should have at least a .30-06 or faster, since their best features turn out in very high speeds.

Posts: 89 | Location: Finland | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I love the 200 gr. Nosler but I just never figured the .308 to have the powder capacity for 200grs., the 06 just barely qualifies...that said the 180 Nosler is a fine bullet at 2550 FPS in a 308 and kills big things very well indeed....

I have not used them in the 308 but the 165 gr. Failsafe or GS bullet would be a penetrating son of a gun, and should be one heck of a moose bullet.

Posts: 41976 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Alaska Bush Man
posted Hide Post
Varget @ 44.0
180 Nosler Part
BR-2 Primers
Lapua or Win cases

Posts: 523 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My sons and I have had excellent results with 180-grain Nosler Partitions in both the .308 and the .30-06, ranging in velocities from 2550 to 2850. The results have always been similar: good penetration with lots of internal damage, and a quick kill.
I have heard good things about the 165-grain Trophy Bonded Bear Claw, but have not used it myself.

Posts: 113 | Location: B.C., Canada | Registered: 18 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 308winchester
posted Hide Post
Try Laupa Mega

180grain or 185grain.

Johan

Posts: 1082 | Location: Middle-Norway (Veterinary student in Budapest) | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote