New
Find
Notify
Tools

Unexpected guests........
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Tell me how you all feel about unexpected guests. I have a business associate that lives several states away and we were planning a trip months in advance of his arrival in my home area. A couple of weeks ago, he asks if it would be ok if he brought his buddy, who is also from my home area. I don't know his buddy and he may be a great guy. I just don't care to share any of my areas, although all are public lands, to anyone I don't know. I feel if he wants to bring his buddy, then maybe his buddy should invite us to one of his spots. Am I screwed up or what? What's your take on this situation?

Posts: 65 | Location: oregon | Registered: 09 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
well, technically the guest isn't unexpected, YET, as he isn't on your door step... and your buddy did ASK how you would feel about it...

Do you somehow feel obligated to this buisness associate
so that you are uncomfortable saying no?

On the other hand...
You never know what the unexpected guest is going to bring to the party...

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think Allan touched on an interesting point, what and who is this buddy of your buddy's?

Also, just out of curiousity, what are you hunting? I understand feeling some 'ownership' of an area, and not wanting to overhunt it based on putting more people in there on your own doing than would be there otherwise, but is it such that this third body will actually impact the hunting itself??

It is always interesting when a guy puts another person into the mix, there isn't an easy way to do it, but discussing it first, which it seems he has tried, is best IMO. Now, if he has already told the other guy he would check with you, that is not really cool, it puts you in an akward position, and also the only one who would end up wearing the 'Jerk' hat if it comes down to it.....

I've been thrown in the mix like that before, and I have usually just tried to keep an up attitude, and welcome the third party, IF, the area was physically large enough that we weren't really on top of each other, and or cutting game off from each other.

Good luck on this one!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bshooter:
I just don't care to share any of my areas to anyone I don't know.

This is the issue right here. Nothing wrong with feeling this way.

My advice: tell you business friend you are uncomfortable altering the original plans and leave it at that. No discussion necessary.

There's no reason whatsoever you should have less of a good time (potentially), if the third party attends. Does not matter whether or not he is or maybe a great guy.

I don't mean to sound shallow or unfriendly. I'm not. But, I've been in all 3 positions you are referring to. Until you get to know the third party outside of hunting, keep your plans as they originated.

Good luck.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
If you are sharing a good spot with someone.

Then your sharing it with all there buddies too. sooner or later.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shareing something with someone you don't know is like having un-protected sex. May feel good at the time, but......?

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks"
Hamlet III/ii

Posts: 423 | Location: Eastern Washington State | Registered: 16 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
My family has been hunting this same hunting area for 50 years. It is in Wyoming and on public land.

My uncle who owned a oil water truck service for many years brought a lot of his out of state oil executive folks up there.

After years of my uncle inviting everyone he knows up there the place isn't what it used to be. It's pretty much over ran with four wheelers and campers.

I know we don't own this area, but it's pretty tough when you have hunted it for so long to see so many folks on the mountain. Mostly as ar result of my uncle inviting half of AMACO up there.

I wouldn't do it.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
it depends greatly on how close you and your friend are.
what some call a friend other would deem an aquantince.
his judgment is what you have to rely on.
his ability to check this other guy out.
If your friend is a close one then you communicate on a regular basis, correct?
has he ever mentioned this fellow to you?
has he hunted with him before?
does he know this fellows background?
The last thing i want to do is be in the wild, armed and out of contact eith others with someone who might be a drug addict, psyco, felon, ect ect ect.
Be polite, be curteous but be direct in wanting to know about this fellow.

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
It can be a really hard call any way you go.

The importance of your relationship with the original invitee has already been mentioned.

Is telling that person that the invite is for him only going to somehow harm your relationship with that person.

One thing I have observed with folks over the past several years, is that many folks for whatever reason, seem to have lost either some common sense or the ability to think BEFORE they go to talking about such things as having an invite for a hunt or fishing trip, when among some of their aquaintences.

Also, it seems like people have become more, not neccessarily aggressive, but quicker to make statements such as,"That sounds great you think I can go along"?

You are in somewhat of an awkward situation no matter what you say, but as was pointed out, your original invitee did ask before hand, instead of just showing up with this other person in tow.

You could possibly alter your plans and invite this third person, but change your hunt location to another area, so that your good spot will be unknown until you might get a handle on who this 3rd. party is and what type of hunter they are.

While the possibility is there for this person to be someone you would not want to hunt with ever again or someone you would not want to have knowledge of your favorite spots, there is also the possibility the guy could be someone that really fit into your concepts and methods of hunting and could become a really great hunting partner and friend.

Many parameters to the situation that have to be weighed carefully.

Don't want to leave the hen house guarded by the fox, but at the same time you won't want to road block something tht could prove beneficial in the long run. JMO.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't do it. We had a prime spot. Yes it was on public land but out of the way. We had a neat camp site and all. A guy one of us worked with asked to go along. Next year he invited several of his buddies to "his" really sweet hunting spot. Some of them stayed drunk for a week. When we un-invited him/them, it got kinda ugly.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i'd tell your buddy the invite was for him and him alone.

if you depend on this business associate for income or income related contacts then you might want to reconsider.

on the other hand, if this business associate is just someone you know "in the business", i certainly wouldn't allow him to bring his buddy.

sounds to me like your business associate's primary concern is having his buddy along, and not spending time with you.

good hunting spots on public are at a premuim, and as you have read here, it seems most folks can't or won't keep a secret.

Posts: 678 | Location: lived all over | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
The word "Public" is the key word for me in your post.

If it were private I can see your point, but "Public" land is just that, public and open to anyone. Fact of the matter is that if you told the guy no, he could hop in his truck and follow you right to your spot and there's not a darn thing you can do about it as he would be just as legal as you. It's a bummer at times, but part of public hunting.

I learned long ago if one was selfish on public land, he had alot to learn.

Good Luck,

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
Reloader, you experience certainly hasn't been the same as mine.

In my western states hunting experience good hunting, (large trophy size, small hunter numbers,) on Public land is hard to come by. The truly good hunting areas I have found with my own hard work I don't share any more. In the past when I have shared good hunting areas I have been burned badly. The problem when the burning occurs is that then the work and frusteration of trying to get away from folks and find that big buck starts all over.

I do see the other side of the problem in that a smart business man certainly isn't going to screw his business by goofing a good work relationship over a hunting area.

Trade offs, it's all about trade offs.

Posts: 9497 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
bsshooter,

NO, I would not do it either. Like you said, why doesnt he invite you to his hot area.

The guy sounds like a leach and a freeloader.

If someone invited me to join him at his good hunting spot, I would never try and bring someone that wasnt originaly invited. Thats just common courtesy and being respectful!

You planned a hunting trip with this guy not a trip to the local titty bar. Or maybe the guy sees no difference and thinks hunting is rideing around in a pickup, drinkin beer and shooting road signs?

Now think what kind of charactor would this second guy have, thinking he can come along uninvited.

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all for your thoughts and opinions. Here's the deal. My business associate simply makes my life easier. I could get along without such a relationship but when I have a problem solving some techno question, I can just run it by him and he usually has the correct answer. If I said "no" don't bring anyone. I would be the "bad guy". He had already discussed our plans with the new guy. I WAS going to take him into a little known area for a little bird hunting. The chances of him going back in there without me are really slim, beings that he lives several states away. However, new guy only lives about 45 minutes away from me and I don't really want to take any chances. We've all experienced the, "bring a buddy, then he brings a buddy etc., etc.. Yes, it is public land but that doesn't mean I'm obligated to share the information I have with, "the public". Thing is, I've been the "new guy" with this individual. He was talking about getting me on a fishing trip in another guys drift boat. One that he too was a "guest". I told him then, don't be talking about bringing anybody because you'll lose any future rides. Well guess what? He doesn't ride in that drift boat any longer. I guess I'm going have to get more specific. Again, THANKS for all the replies. OH, by the way, I made up a bunch of excuses why I couldn't go and sent him off to play with his new buddy. I'll have a little "inspirational chat" with him later.

one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
OR..............You can always take them to an alternate spot. It may be helpful to have another GUEST to explore new hunting spots.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
as said you might have a new friend with the buddy i don't know your hunting spot or what you are hunting but sometimes an extra person is a good thing if you are uncomfortable which it sounds you are you can either say no being you were asked first or go to alternate spot

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

Posts: 1026 | Location: UPSTATE NY | Registered: 08 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
bshooter, sounds like you have it worked out.

One thing you might keep in mind when having that "Inspirational Talk" with your friend, is using the Float Trip he invited you on, as an example of why inviting guests or discussing hunting and fishing with other folks can sometimes lead to misunderstandings and strained feelings.

One thing I have noticed over the years, is that there are some folks that never really understand why someone is protective of say a favorite place to hunt or hole to fish in.

Many times they are really great people, but they just don't equate hunting and fishing and why some folks want to guard their honey holes from other folks.

They are a tad to gregarious, and just do not comprehend that a mis-said word or discussion to a group of folks can cause problems that will damage something that another person may have worked at keeping to themselves for a long time. JMO.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm a little gut shot to bringing new people to a hunting area. Back when I was in high school, I could never understand why my dad told me to never bring my buddies to any of our hunting spots. Well, I usually listened to my dad, because he was generally right all the time, but one day I took a friend ground hog hunting. Not only did the kid make a complete ass of himself while we were hunting, but he also brought many new friends to the field we were hunting in. Just to give you guys a picture, when I was there with my friend we decided to take turns shooting, I let him go first. He took the first shot, and when it was my turn, I was just getting ready to take the shot when he throws his gun up and shoots (missed completely, too). The whole evening went on just like that, and I've never asked the kid to go hunting with me again. Learning a lesson was almost worth losing 1 field to hunt in. I've brought other people hunting with me since then, but I definately studied their character a bit more before asking them. Point being, if this is one of your favorite places to hunt, and you don't know the other guy personally, I wouldn't go for it at all. Your business associate didn't put you in a very good position, though, and I would be kind of miffed at him.

I heal fast and don't scar.

Posts: 433 | Location: Monessen, PA | Registered: 23 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm glad I'm not alone here. I've been described as, "doesn't play well with others", so I was a little concerned that I was being weird or rude. I guess not. Safety is another concern. I have a couple of analogies that I'm going to use when we have our "chat". Thanks all...bs

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I only hunt with friends that I have known for many years. Our credo is "Never hunt with anyone until you know their character and abilities." A hunting trip is not a place to get to know someone you have never met.

If you don't know someone with a gun....

I made that mistake many years ago. Fortunately no one was shot.

"Isn't it pretty to think so."

Posts: 148 | Location: Cascade Foot Hills | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Reloader. Don't mean to stomp on your petunias but there IS something I can do about some sob that is cs enough to follow me "uninvited". That would be make him sorry he did. How? you say. Chances are this sorry sob would have a nice shiny suv of sorts. At least I hope so, because my hunting rig is a mechanically sound, 86, 3/4 ton suburban that looks a little "rough". What this means is if sob's rig isn't "a little rough" looking in the beginning, it will be when/if he gets it back home to momma. I'm kind of ornery that way. Not to be mean, just a little "fun loving" that's all. THANKS EVERYONE!!!!

one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
A number of years ago, I took my wife's boss along on a deer and elk hunting trip. The next year, his camper and four others belonging to his family were parked in the very spot I'd camped the year before! When my hunting buddy and I stopped to talk, we were told they were sorry, but there was no more room to park and they were having a family hunt. Needless to say, I never took him on another hunt with me, even though he mentioned it to my wife (now ex).

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
bshooter:
This guy is being both rude & disrespectful to you and your kind offer. The answer should not only NO but HELL NO!
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I invited an acquaintence to go on a deer hunt with the understanding we'd share the driving & trip costs.At the last moment he decided to drive up with his girlfriend & stated they'd be staying in my camper,I said no way to his plan.We met him in the area where we hunt with his girl in tow but didn't converse.I wouldn't go with anyone I didn't know really well & never let anyone invite a buddy along.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I lost my favorite elk hunting spot years ago by showing it to someone else. Happened like this:

I was stationed in the Navy in Norfolk Va and I took a guy I served with and his father back to Colorado on an deer/elk hunt. It was a good hunt, we ended up filling every deer and elk tag but one. When I went to my elk camp the next season, I found about 6 rigs there, all with Va tags. Seems as though my "friend's" father went home and told everyone he knew about it. So a bunch of his buddies, now pack up and set a camp that stays there from the archery season, clear through the last rifle season. That's usually something like 4 months time that a camp is there.

About 30 guys use the camp throughout the various seasons, some of them bow hunting, some of them black powder hunting and some of them rifle hunting. Got to where I couldn't even find a place to hunt. The worst part was when one of the guys from Va told me I should find another spot since they had used it for several seasons. It didn't seem to matter to him that my family and I had hunted there for decades, it was now "their" spot. They figured since they bought non-resident tags and drove clear across the country, they had some sort of claim to it, locals be damned.

I'll be the first to admit it is all public land and they had as much right to be there as I did, but DAMN!!!!!!!!! To run someone out of their familiy's traditional hunting spot is just plain rude. And to make matters worse, my "friend's" father only went there for the first 2 years. I never knew any of the other guys at all, they just sort of materialized over time.

They completely ruined the hunting, running all over the countryside on ATV's, drinking and partying all night long, making a huge amount of noise and basically running the elk out. Where we used to fill almost every tag, ou now have a hard time finding tracks when the season opens.

So, I went and found a new elk area. It's also on public ground and there is no way in hell that I will ever show it to anyone. Let them do the work, let them do the scouting, let them find the water holes and the trails. In other words, it's public ground, somewhere in Colorado. You only have to cover about 100,000 sq miles to find it. Knock yourselves out.

I will wade through hell and pay cash money for an ass whipping before I ever show my prime elk area to another hunter that is not a family member and even then I may blindfold them first. Quality hunting areas are getting too hard to find.

Mac

Posts: 1638 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
Mac,

Different species, but yours was my experience to the T!

Up here I have quite a good moose hunting spot on public land that usually yields as many good bull moose as my hunting party has tags for. When asked for the location it is described as "Up river," Smiler

Posts: 9497 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, my story is a little bit different. I was living in Nevada at the time and my wife and kids had all filled out their tags. The night before the last day of the season one of my co-workers called and asked if I could help him find a deer. I told him where I usually went and he was confused at the directions so I told him to pick me up at 6:00 in the morning. He shows up at 7:00. I really didn't want to go out as a bad pair of boot had made a bloody disaster out of my feet. So anyway, he shows up and he has a buddy with him. He vouches for the guy as his normal hunting buddy so I go along with the deal. It's about a 60 mile drive to where I like to hunt so I'm sitting in the middle of the seat when I spot a whole herd coming right down to the road. Now, we were still enroute to where I was going to guide them when these deer showed up. He stops trhe truck and they bail out. I finally get out a fre seconds later. By this time my co-worker has dropped one deer, his buddy has gut shot the only buck in the herd (doe were legal) and I finally stick a round in my unloaded rifle and drop a doe. I then stick another round and am tracking the gut shot buck when the uninvited guest steps right in front of me. I don't think there was two ounces of pull left on my trigger when he did that, and only by the grace of God was I able to stop that pull and keep from blowing that idiot's head off. All I could see was a blur of his blond hair in my scope. Darwin material for sure. Well, my buddy and him go off to try and find that buck and I stay there and gut out the deer. I really am surprised that there wasn't a grass fire going as I blistered the air cussing that guy out including his ancestry all the way back to early one celled creatures. I told my co-worker that he was welcome to hunt with me anytime (we'd bird and rabbit hunted together so I knew he was safe to hunt with.)but his friend was not welcome to be around me at any time ever.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
If someone is camping on federal land they must move their camp at least 5 miles (it might be more) every 14 days.

If you see a standing camp on forest service or BLM land contact your local BLM Ranger or Agent, or Forest Service Law Enforcment Officer or Agent.

A federal ticket ends up being a felony if not taken care of in a certain ammount of time.

My uncle and father both have campers in Wyoming near where they hunt. Every other week during the season one of them has to run 100 miles up the mountain and move them.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
Having said that there are a ton of completly worthless Law Enforcement people in both agencies.

It would be a federal law and I doubt if a local sheriff deputy would enforce it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
By taking a stranger to your favorite hunting spot, well you might as well post a map and carefull details to here so at least all your AR buddies can enjoy it too. But at least you figured out how to handle the problim. What is the shame in alot of cases is that common folks most likely don't appreciate the efforts and great amount of time that is spent scouting areas to be hunted for your enjoyment. Although on public land, this was your effort and reward. Good to have alternate hunting areas for new clients that you don't know very well. R.

Posts: 1049 | Location: Cut-n-Shoot, Texas USA | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote