Find
Notify
Tools

Can someone please explain ......
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted

To the outsider (hopefully not just me) the hunting regulations / system in the USA seems very complicated!

Landowner tags, non resident tags, resident tags, out of state tags, draws, archery permits, rifle permits, black powder hunts, doe licenses et cetera et cetera

Assuming that you are a paying hunter, in most of Africa and Europe and I believe NZ, you pay your money, get permission and can go and hunt (guided or unguided as the case may be). Perhaps a bit simplified but you get my drift.

Maybe I am missing something but the US system seems mighty complicated.

Without me spending hours googling and researching, can someone - in a few paragraphs - explain the basics of hunting approvals and permits and permissions in the USofA.

Would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Charlie

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2288 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
I am not sure that there is an easy or simple way of explaining game laws/regulations in America.

Our Game Laws are determined using multiple parameters that vary state by state.

Land Ownership, is a major factor, game populations are a major factor, hunter numbers and participation are major factors.

I tried to go farther with this but as I said in my first sentence, there is no simple way to explain the situation other than typical bureaucratic snafu.

Believe me, from experience our game laws nationwide are worded with a lot of legalese that can be confusing as hell and can change going from one side of a road or stream to the other.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Think of the USA as 50 different Countries all with their own game laws.We have a federal Government that has game laws that cover migratory animals(mostly birds) that reside in many different States through the course of a year.So they set up guide lines for hunting them.The individual States set up game laws for animals native to their state.Some states you can purchase tags across the counter and hunt on public lands or private property with land owners consent.Other states tags for animals are by a drawing with the major amount of tags received for the people who are residents of that state and a smaller amount to non residents USA citizens or folks from other countries.If you have a species that you want to hunt,you will have to check with the State that has hunting available for that species on what their game laws are and how to purchase a tag or get in a drawing.Why don`t you tell us what you want to hunt and we can point you in the right direction.OB Big Grin

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Charlie64:

To the outsider (hopefully not just me) the hunting regulations / system in the USA seems very complicated!

Landowner tags, non resident tags, resident tags, out of state tags, draws, archery permits, rifle permits, black powder hunts, doe licenses et cetera et cetera

Assuming that you are a paying hunter, in most of Africa and Europe and I believe NZ, you pay your money, get permission and can go and hunt (guided or unguided as the case may be). Perhaps a bit simplified but you get my drift.

Maybe I am missing something but the US system seems mighty complicated.

Without me spending hours googling and researching, can someone - in a few paragraphs - explain the basics of hunting approvals and permits and permissions in the USofA.

Would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Charlie

Pick a state & start reading Simple? Wink

Posts: 2357 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTEWhy don`t you tell us what you want to hunt and we can point you in the right direction.OB Big Grin[/QUOTE]. I second that approach, good advice.

Posts: 214 | Location: maine, usa | Registered: 07 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by groundtender:
quote:
Why don`t you tell us what you want to hunt and we can point you in the right direction.OB Big Grin
. I second that approach, good advice.

Yep. Tell us what, and preferably where, you want to hunt and we can point you in the right direction. If you happen to fancy a hunt in New Mexico, send me a message or email and I'll help however I can.

Posts: 3296 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ain't cyberspace wonderful. Smiler

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's Simple Charlie:

They're written so you'd for sure fk up
and break one or more, that way you'll become a donor to the G&F org by way of fine monies.

That's the only thing I can come up with.
Don't know about other states, Colorado for sure is that way.

It's no wonder so many have given up hunting. Just because reading this shit confuses the hell out of most everyone.

Hell, they've even got prairie dog seasons here! Can't shoot 'em on public lands til after May 15th. Yet you can anytime on private land with permission. Lot of trouble with that is: school sections are mixed in and no way in hell of telling where those are. Though most are controlled by lease. I don't know whether you can legally shoot 'em on such a section within a private ranch with permission or not.

Good luck no matter what you're thinking of trying for.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5962 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I could explain it all to ya...but it'll take awhile! We help clients all across the country arrange, buy and apply for hunts. Like others say as well...each state is like its own separate country.

Narrow it down to what you want to hunt, when, and what budget you have to do so? Then you can get some more clear answers.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4885 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote