New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: More Hawaii hunting Questions
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
There is some great hunting in Hawaii. Generally speaking long seasons, ample bag limits.

For big game its mostly boar and goats. Though there are islands with deer. Bird hunting is truely great: pheasant, western quail, francolin, chukars, dove, etc.

The hunting regs can be confusing though. Do your research first. For example on the Big Island bird hunting is only possible on weekends and holidays on public land.

The turkey hunting is pretty good. Just go early in the season. Most years though its supposed to last longer, it almost always ends up closing early (before December).

They do a reall good job on the Big Island managing for upland hunting and its a beautiful place to hunt.

Posts: 364 | Location: Hawaii | Registered: 30 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Ford- I'll try to call my friend that I used to hunt with on Maui he may have some connections. Too bad he just moved to the Big Island from Maui. You might look into trying for Axis Deer also theyre causing alot of damage to the Ag. crops overthere. Shot alot of Big Bucks there over the years. Wish you luck! info listed below for DOFAW in Maui they can give you Public Hunting Area info if interested:

54 South High Street
Room 101
Wailuku, Maui 96793
(808) 984-8100

Mac- yeah the area you hunted is called Kuaokala and is a good place to hunt just limited access (only thru Kaena Pt.) Did you do archery hunts, gun or dog and knife just curious???

steveO- Yeah if youre interested let me know my good friend Jon Sabati is the President of the NWTF Volcano Chapter its a beautiful place to hunt Gobblers on the slopes of Mauna Kea. I can give you his contact info if you would like.

Happy Holidays and Aloha to All!!!!!!

Posts: 449 | Location: Kaneohe,Hawaii | Registered: 20 September 2004Reply With Quote