New
Find
Notify
Tools

Accuracy of Fed High Energy ammo
 Login/Join

<Stick>
posted
Hello, hunters, and thanks for the forum.

Help me decide between Federal's two flavors of 338 WM 250 gr Nosler Partition ammo. One is normal velocity (2660 fps) and the other is High Energy (2800 fps). Like Hornady's Light and Heavy Magnum ammo, I think. Has anybody found a loss of accuracy with the faster loadings?

<razorback>
posted
at 100yds, i can't even hit a 12 inch target with the high energy ammo, just kidding, try it and find out. I like it a lot, it is more accurate for me, it might be because they take a little more care in making them. who know's, but you can't beat'em if you don't reload and sometimes still can't

------------------
it's not the size of the dog in the fight, its the size of fight in the dog.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Excellent hunting ammo. I've shot a lot of .375H&H in the HE loadings and it is extremely accurate. You can't get these velocities by handloading and you have a great choice of bullets.

Posts: 284 | Location: Plant City, Fl,USA | Registered: 12 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As accurate as my own handloads. I used Federal 250-grain NOS HE last year, and killed a moose with one shot at 250 yards. I tested the ammo at the range before moose season, and got a 3-shot average fps of 2,770, pretty close to the advertised 2,800 fps.

I usually use my own handloads with 230-grain FS bullets, but Federal HE ammo is a powerhouse.

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Stick>
posted
Thanks, guys. That's great news. Gonna use'm on elk this fall and grizzly next spring.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Stick, don't overlook the Bearclaw offering from Federal. These things stay under a 1" from the 3 different guns I've tried them in. Buddy shot a 8 1/2' brown last spring with them. Picture perfect mushroom, 2 of the 3 found on the off shoulder. Not knocking Partitions, but those Bearclaws are something.

Posts: 711 | Location: Michigan , USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
<MWP in SC>
posted
I had great results in Africa last year with the Federal Premium High Energy .375 load and the 300 gr. Trophy Bonded Bear Claw bullets. Very accurate and great terminal performance; always perfect mushrooms, usually found under the hide on the off side of game the size of eland. Exited on the smaller stuff.

Yesterday I was shooting some Federal Premium High Energy loads in .30/06 with 180 gr. Nosler Partitions. Shot into less than 1". I'm taking them to Canada for a spring bear hunt next week.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I used the 375 HH with 300 TBBC in Africa in 2000. They were very accurate in my rifle, and gave slightly over the published speed in my rifle.

A friend of mine was using the Federal HE in his 7 RM, and they were too hot for his rifle. The primers were flat and primer pockets were expanded.

------------------
JD

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
<T/Jazz>
posted
Some like em and get good accuracy results. I was never that lucky shooting Federals Hi Energy out of two of my 338 mags. They were acceptable for about 200 yards, beyound that I would not try and take an animal for fear of missing or wounding the critter.

<Juneau>
posted
Took 7 head of african game, and 1 moose last year with Fed. .338 HE 250gr. Nosler. Range up to 325 yds. 1 shot each. Mod. 70 Supergrade. I like 'em!

<duckster>
posted
I have used the High Energy in .30-06 with Nosler Partitions and Federal Premium with Nosler Partitions. The accuracy that I saw was basically equal between the two types of ammo

one of us
posted Hide Post
Stick:

Welcome to the forum. You'll find a lot of good information here. To your question, I don't know what the cost of this ammo is, but it probably wouldn't take many boxes to pay for you to get started handloading. Then, you could make some seriously high energy loads. Check out the reloading section. There's a lot of good info over there too.

Ryan

Posts: 425 | Location: Minnesota, USA | Registered: 01 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Stick>
posted
Thanks again. Ordered a box of each, gonna compare groups at 300 yds Sunday in a 26" Win 70. I'm almost set up to reload, though.

Stick,
NW AR

one of us
Picture of Flip
posted Hide Post
I have used them in my 30-06 and they gave and they was more than good

Posts: 931 | Location: Nambia | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote