Find
Notify
Tools

I need Aussies Help!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted
One of my hunting buddies is moving to Canberra for the whole year, he is a little bit worried about hunting there.
Maybe some of you can help me with information about the city, the people, the region,etc.
He will be happy to listen other hunter point of view about his "new" home.
Thanks
LG

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Lorenzo

Plenty of "small game" in Canberra, the nations capital. I recommend no.4 s in a shotgun. They just haven't declared a season on that rare bird "pollies" yet. ("pollies" is short for politicians).

I will post some more info soon, but Canberra is a small city (150,000 people?) not that far from Sydney. Canberra is in the Australian Capital Territory (ACT) a small territory surrounded by New South Wales.

Canberra is a safe but somewhat boring city full of public servants and government headquarters, but there is some life there. But as I said Sydney is not that far away.

From a hunting point of view, there are fallow deer in the Canberra area, sambar deer not that far away to the South in Victoria, feral pigs and goats in NSW. Duck hunting in Victoria. Plus rabbits, hare, foxes, quail etc all over.

The key is access. You can pay for it and use a hunting guide or similar service or attempt to get private access.

I don't think he need be worried about it, depending on what is worrying him?

What does your friend hunt now at home?

You or he can drop me an email if you wish.

Nitro

------------------
Nitro@NitroExpress.com
NitroExpress.com

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Nitro,
Thank you very much, I will send him your e-mail as he is already flying there.
He is the best deer and wild hog hunter/tracker I've ever seen as he grew up in the farm.
He is a near retired professional soccer player (34 years), he will be working there and he also will be playing soccer during the weekends in the Canberra Dickens or something like that. As he is not yet married his idea is just to take a year for hunting, playing soccer and working in Australia, before returning to work in the familiar ranch.
He was REALLY worried about hunting opportunities.
Again thanks
LG

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
<Hooligan>
posted
Hey LG

I actually live in canberra, and do a lot of hunting in the Canberra region.

Lots of rabbits, lots of foxes, lots of roos... pigs if you know where to find them. Out past michelago or captain's flat is a good place to start looking for the pigs.

I recently bought a nice pig rifle in .300Win mag, but haven't had much luck locating pigs... I'll tell you what though, it makes a mess of a rabbit.

Hope i been some help, feel free to get back to me if you want any more advice on hunting around canberra.

<Hooligan>
posted
Oh yeah, that's what I forgot to say... you can't actually hunt in ACT... no real land... but you can hunt quite well in the areas around ACT (withing 15 - 20 minutes drive of the city centre you can start to find places you can legally hunt). Canberra has a population of 350 000 - 400 000...