New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sako Finlight
 Login/Join

<Daryl Elder>
posted
I had to do it! I traded in my Steyr-Mannlicher model M for a shiny new Sako Finlight chambered in the boring, useless, old 30/06 Sprg. It wouldn't let me leave the store until I agreed to take it home! If it wasn't 25 below out I'd be trying it out. Should be a good end-of-the-world-as-we-know-it kind of gun; we have had 2 earthquakes in 2 days... or maybe it was still the after shock of that damn .500 A-Square?

<Eagle Eye>
posted
Well done...I am anxious to get one too. Let us know how she shoots.

one of us
Picture of 470 Mbogo
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Daryl Elder:
Hi Daryl,
The shoot video is on the way to Vasa so get in touch with him. I'm gone in the morning see you later.
470 Mbogo

Posts: 1247 | Location: Sechelt B.C. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Daryl,

A 30-06?

How boring of you.

I do have to tell you though, that I did the exact same thing. I bought the same rifle in 30-06. It now wears a matte Leupold VariX III 2.5-8x 36mm in stainless Sako rings. I also bought an extra magazine for it. I think that I got a pretty good price at $850 for a new in the box rifle.

I have only taken it to the range once to break it in. It appears to be a real shooter, and I have quite a few bullets I want to load for it. I am hoping to have some loads made up and a chance to get to the range next week.

At first I was concerned that the 20.5" (I think that's the measurement) was too short, but now I like it. I chronographed some factory loads and I'm still getting some great velocity. I have always heard people say that there can be fast barrels and slower barrels, and I think that I got a really fast barrel.

Anyway, If I can get to the range next week, I will try to be sure to post my loads, with their velocity and group size.

I bought this rifle as a do everything, drop in the mud, get scratched, get wet, etc., etc. rifle. I'm sure that it will live up to my expectations. I used my Sako M75 Stainless/Synthetic 375H&H rifle in Africa last October and it performed flawlessly. If I told you how accurate that rifle is with a number of different bullets, you probably wouldn't believe me.

Anyway, you have made a great purchase.

Tim

Posts: 1430 | Location: California | Registered: 21 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Eagle Eye>
posted
Tim: Do you find the objective on your 2.5-8x36 scope is a little high off the barrel? The reason I ask is because I mounted my 4-14x Leupold on a 25-06 with the Sako low rings and it is a bit too high for my liking. I would think that with the 36mm, it would be even more pronounced. So when I bought the Sako 75 in 300 Win last week, I used Leupold Ringmounts in medium size to mount a 3.5-10x40 Leupold. The scope is closer to the barrel which makes target aquisition better and it feels more comfortable. My other concern about the Sako mount is that they weigh 7 ounces as opposed to 3 for the Leupold. Anyway, just curious what you felt about it.

<Daryl Elder>
posted
Tim, if it wasn't -37C, I'd be out, too! I can't wait. I was also wondering how the shorter-- my Steyr had a 23.5" bbl.-- barrel length would affect velocities. Yes, please, post your results. I don't think it will warm up here too soon, may be a while before I can get out. What a georgeous rifle! I put my Kahles 3-9x42 on with Sako rings/bases and it fits perfectly. I love those beefy rings and bases. And the Optilok negates the need to lap them.

[This message has been edited by Daryl Elder (edited 01-27-2002).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Daryl & Eagle Eye,

You guys got me motivated. I just loaded up some 30-06 ammo and I will try to sneak away tomorrow and get to the range.

I have the low Sako rings on this rifle and it feels like it comes to my shoulder smoothly and presents a good sight picture with the 2.5-8x Leupold. However, after reading Eagle Eye's post I took a closer look and have to admit that it might be nice if it was a bit lower. I'm really not worried about the weight of the rings.

I have hunted the mountains of Idaho, the California Sierras, and Zimbabwe in 100+ degree weather. An extra pound or so in a rifle has never bothered me.

Anyway, if I can get to the range tomorrow, I will try to post my results.

Tim

Posts: 1430 | Location: California | Registered: 21 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Daryl Elder>
posted
Tim, Hmmmmm... Sunset Beach. Doesn't exactly conjure up pictures of ice and snow!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Daryl,

What are "Ice and Snow"?????????

Tim

<Daryl Elder>
posted
Tim, I wish they were only 'Rappers'!

<Eagle Eye>
posted
Thanks for the reply. I hope my post didn't spoil the broth, so to speak. Those Sako rings are designed for European sized scopes (read that large) and unless one mounts a big sucker, scope height can be a factor. Good to hear you don't find it a problem. Mine is okay too although I prefer the height of the Leupold ringmounts. I got used to mounting these things on Remingtons and they can be mounted within a hair of the barrel.

Now, what is this about ice and snow...it is only -30c this morning with a stiff wind chill of about -38c and we have about 6 inches of snow on the ground....what is the problem? Stay warm all.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Eagle Eye,

I just returned from the range and e-mailed the results/photss of my initial load development to Daryl. I couldn't get an e-mail address from your profile.

I'm really impressed with the accuracy of the handloads, but I need to work up the velocity. This rifle definitely seems to be a shooter.

Tim

<Eagle Eye>
posted
Sakolover@hotmail.com

The address says it all!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Back to top for

jneely

<Daryl Elder>
posted
Hey, Tim and jneely, got out on the weekend with my new baby(Sako Finnlight). I started with Winchester factory 150gr, Ballistic Tip coated in some kind of crap that makes the bbl real dirty but I don't see any other purpose. I cleaned after every shot for the first 10 and then fired a 3 shot 3/4" group. That's pretty much as good as I can shoot at 100 yds.. It really fits well and is quick with that short bbl.. Ringing the 200yd. 6" gong offhand became kind of routine using some thrown together R15 and Rem. bulk cheapo bullets that I doubt did the gun any favors. I don't think it will take much in the way of load development to get great groups; it's already better than minute of elk. But you knew that, Tim, judging by the targets you shot! I sold my baby to buy this baby and so far I'm not disappointed.

<GT>
posted
Where can I find out more about the finlight? I didn't see it at Sako's website. What are calibers & specs. Will this be available in Win.shortmags? What can I expect to pay? Thanks for info GT

<Eagle Eye>
posted
For some unknown reason, Sako took the Finnlight info off their site about two months ago. I e-mailed them and got a spec sheet from them on it. Perhaps they cancelled production. But then, their web site isn't anything great so maybe they just fired the web designer.

As for price, they are aprox. $1400 in Canada. In the USA they should be in the $900 range.

<jneely>
posted
Tim, thanks for the info you sent. GT, the finnlight is available in .243,7mm-08,.308(short action);25-06,6.5x55,270Win,7x64,280Rem.(std length);7mmRem. and 300Win.(mag.length actions). Weights are 6 lbs.,6-1/2, and 7-1/4 lbs.

<GT>
posted
Thanks for the info. I was saving $$ for an Abolt S.S. in 7mmWSM. I might wait a little longer & save a couple hundred more for the Fin. I do want the short mag, 7mm or 300. Any idea if or when that might happen? Thanks again G.T.

<Eagle Eye>
posted
Hey GT: I am curious as to why you are so set on the WSM? I went through the same process not long ago when I bought my Sako 75.

<GT>
posted
Eagle Eye, Everything I've read or heard about WSM has been quite positive. Ballistics the same, accuracy excellent, recoil slightly less. All this in a smaller & lighter shortaction. I don't reload so that's not an issue. About the only neg. that I know of is one less shell in the mag. Hopefully that would never be an issue. Is there something that I don't know about the short mags that I should? G.T.

<Eagle Eye>
posted
Well, if you check the Sako v. Winchester thread, it pretty well covers it. While the WSM is a good concept, it was clear to me that it wasn't anything magic and it sure has some drawbacks vis-a-vis the 300 WM. I am a reloader so my requirements may be different than yours.

The issue for a non-reloader is ammo availability when and where you need it and getting the exact same stuff that your rig is sighted in with. This will of course change as the round becomes more common.

[This message has been edited by Eagle Eye (edited 02-07-2002).]