Find
Notify
Tools

Why I like to hunt cow elk...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted
...because I get to enjoy the hunt about 150 times over every time I have a fine meal that I share with a friend.

Cow elk sirloin steak...lightly seasoned with Montreal Steak seasoning, a table spoon of olive oil heated in a pan, 4 minutes a side, a glass of Petite Sirah, spinach salad with black olives, sun dried tomatoes, sliced mushrooms, and toasted pine nuts...Voila!. Heaven on earth.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10134 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,
My Elk medallions were in front of me about 10 minutes ago along with a Idaho baked potato with butter and sour cream, fresh asparagus, and an ice cold beer.
Got to love a three year old cow elk.

Posts: 344 | Location: Pocatello, Idaho | Registered: 26 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Eeker I hope you two heard my stomach growl!

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:
Cow elk sirloin steak...lightly seasoned with Montreal Steak seasoning, a table spoon of olive oil heated in a pan, 4 minutes a side, a glass of Petite Sirah, spinach salad with black olives, sun dried tomatoes, sliced mushrooms, and toasted pine nuts...Voila!. Heaven on earth.

This is cruel, and BEYOND unusual punishment. I had Mexican food tonight, a couple of chicken enchiladas with rice and beans. I wasn't even good goin down.

Now I get to think about elk steaks, which I last had in CO 4 months ago.

Thanks a lot Mike. Mad Wink

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
tomorrow I make bolognese sauce with wild boar and elk meat balls

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10134 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
that's what it's about, mike - enjoy!

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ABSOLUTELY!

The dining experience is the coupe de grace.

Any venison preferred to domestic.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm with ya'.........

I have 2 freezers full of walleye, salmon, crappie, elk, WT, mule deer and my latest addition, 700 pounds of bison burger, steaks and roast.

Bison steaks last night with leftovers for lunch today.

one of us
Picture of Badboyz
posted Hide Post
quote:
and elk meat balls

I thought that you shot a cow Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bolognese is a classic pasta sauce well deserving that title. However it doesn't have meat balls !!! thumbdown It lends itself to using game of various types.

one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
My wife and I ate 2 cow elk last year and will eat 2 this year. I have not bought beef for 3 years and have no intention of buying it in the for see able future!!

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
4 minutes!!!

That's either 4" thick or a crime

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
1894mk2,

Comes out perfect on my stove...nice and rare, juicy.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
mete,

It would be incorrect to serve the meatballs on the pasta and call it bolognese. It is not incorrect to cook the meatballs in a bolognese style sauce along with the other meat. The meatballs are then served as a side dish.

Classic bolognese has as much to do with the amount of tomatoe in the sauce as well as the meat.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dinner tonight is a elk roast slow cooked in a dutch oven with potato quarters and carrots cooked right along side..... There is a reason I shot that cow last fall instead of a bull........

Posts: 591 | Location: SW Montana | Registered: 28 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
You know...as much as I would luv to shoot a nice typical 6x6...man cow elk is just so good.

The difference tastiness between a cow elk and any of the deer is just orders of magnitude.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike ---- My first 15 Elk were Bulls. I hunt the 4th season in Colorado that is all draw. I am accumulating points to hunt one of the Trophy draw hunt units and as long as I use my first pick in the draw for another point, I have drawn only a Cow tag the last two years. I really like hunting them because I can be very selective and take what I want when I want it. I can take it early and then help my buddies get out their Elk or hunt the full hunt. The weather often dictates the hunt, but the point is the pressure is off and I enjoy the whole hunt and am rewarded with better meat in the end. Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike-I'll have to get you some steaks off the cow I show last September with my Mashburn. It'll make you think 2x that's for sure.

In my book calves and spikes are the only way to ensure good dining when it comes to elk.

Dober

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Doby,

R u sayin your cow was tuff?

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is a frogs azz water tight....?

Yepper she was very tough!

Dober

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
I would comment, but . . . .

petty jealously comes across so poorly on the net!

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4258 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A cow elk in sight of the trailhead has ended several elk hunting seasons for me. No regrets. Generally, I'm pretty much a "if it's brown it's down" elk hunter. I was in one spot this year where I had several easy shots at cow elk but turned them down. My friend summed it up pretty well when he said that unless it was a B&C bull he wasn't pulling the trigger in that hell hole. I would say that I might shoot a bull there, but only if he was on the downhill side towards the truck, and then he'd have to be a pretty big six point. A few days later I found a very nice, tasty cow in an ideal location and concluded a very successful elk season. Public land elk hunting will alter your ideas about what you will and will not shoot and whether you really want freezer wrap for the winter.

Posts: 763 | Location: Montana | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TCLouis:
I would comment, but . . . .

petty jealously comes across so sickly on the net!

I hear that.... Skunked last year so there's no elk in the freezer Frowner... At least I have some elk summer sausage left Wink...

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I grew up knowing if I shot a bull that the horn soup was my portion.... I finally shot a really nice 6x6 and found out the wisdom of my father.... took a lot of flak from friends about passing up bigger bulls for cows... I must admit though my son took a monster bull in canada this last year with a bow (384) and it is both tasty and tender.... I'll probably still continue with delumpsious cows.

faster horses, younger women, older whiskey, more rifles

one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
When the military first moved me to Colorado many many years ago, I was after the "big bull." Now I try for the December hunt for cow elk. Still put in for drawing points on some of the better areas, but second choice is always for a cow. My best friend also chastised me for always trying for the biggest cow...and the effort to debone said monster. Now, a barren cow or young one is chosen. The only thing I've found better than cow elk is caribou, which is in my freezer along with last year's cow elk.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Prof242,

Caribou? Taken what time of year? where? I took one caribou and while the meat had flavor it was so tough it was close to inedible.

I had to cut up all the steaks and roasts and put in chili cooked for hours.

Mike

one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
The caribou have been taken in Quebec, far north of Schefferville, during the month of September. Our caribou have been tender and no problem. Served it at a friend's BBQ one day and several women who "hated" wild game, liked the caribou.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The one and only bou I ever ate I totally disliked! Funny how things go isn't it, my bud on the trip loved the one he took.

Dober

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Mine was taken in the Kilbuck Mountains of Alaska. About 60 miles west Bethel.

I am not kidding so tough you could not eat it if you only just broiled, grilled, or pan fried it.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
must of got lucky w/the 2 bou's i killed both were great,and i like the middle sized cow elk,not the old grandma's and not the calf of the year but the 2 yr olds.anytime any recipe

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark
I have found that to be true with antelope around here. Sometimes you get a good one and they are great and sometimes you get a bad one that even the dogs will not eat.

Posts: 591 | Location: SW Montana | Registered: 28 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You it's funny you should mention that about the lopes. My wife and I were talking the other night about the fact that in 30 years of taking elk and lopes we've had 3 elk that were tough, and not one bad lope....?

Funny how these things go eh?

Dober

one of us
posted Hide Post
Damn ... now I have freezer envy! All I have in mine at the moment is Bison, venison, piggie, and antelope. It's all good, but the elk sounds wonderful!

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of HUNTS
posted Hide Post
Calf or spike for me too. Have had a few cows as tough as shoe leather. Get out the Adolph's Meat Tenderizer!!!

Posts: 161 | Location: Bozeman, Montana | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hunts I shot one on Sept 1st this last fall with my 7 Mashburn Super, she'd been in the hay fields all summer long.

I had high hopes, but she is one of the toughest dogs I've ever chewed on....go figure

Dober

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
tonight was elk pot roast with turnips, carrots, and onions...

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
sounds like my breakfast....<g>

Dober

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My dinner last night was Elk lasagna with Focaccia bread and home canned green beans and vanilla ice cream with carmel.

Going Steelheading and taking some Elk steaks for grilling.

See you Tuesday.

Posts: 344 | Location: Pocatello, Idaho | Registered: 26 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A bull elk in the rut is borderline meat, it smells like burning piss when you cook it, even though it usually taste Ok..

It is hard to eat a whole bull every year under those circumstances..

I also opt for a spike, cow or even better a yearling..not that I would pass on any legal elk in Idaho, to do so probably means not meat that year....

On deer, I hold out for the biggest buck in the
area for about the first week, and nothing less than a full 30 inches, then if that doesn't come about I will shoot the first legal spike that I run across and call it a season....

I still prefer deer to elk, guess old habits never die and I was raised on deer.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've never had a tough cow elk but I always shoot a yearling (near a two track) every year. I don't like to shoot calf's as half the times their bulls and we need all of those we can get.

Posts: 284 | Location: Hayden, Colorado | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote