New
Find
Notify
Tools

N.M. elk hunts in Unit 13
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I had a rancher contact me and he has 5 bull permits on private land (no high fence..His ranch connects to one of the best elk ranches in NM and he has plenty of elk...I don't know him personally but I have know his father in law for years and they are good folks.

tag alone and on your own. $2500.
Tag with bunkhouse $3000.
Tag, housing,meals $3500.
Tag, housing,meals,guide $4500.

2 Archery Tags Sept. 1-15
Sept. 16-24

3 Muzzle Loader Tags Oct. 5-9
12-16
Nov. 2-6

If interrested give me a holler, and I will put you in contact with these folks..

Posts: 41986 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray if I wasn't leaving for Africa next week I'd say sign me up [Frown]
Oh well keep me in mind for next year or so.

Thoses prices look very good to me.
Thanks
Greg

Posts: 1525 | Location: Hilliard Oh USA | Registered: 17 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't have Unit 13 in my head. What town is nearest to it?

Posts: 13816 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nearest town is Pie Town and the ranch is right on top of the continental diveide...

Posts: 41986 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<thomas purdom>
posted
Hi Mr. Atkinson: Unit 13 is a huge unit. Pie Town (by the way the Pioneer Restaurant there has some mouth-watering pies) anchors the southwestern part of the unit. The southern border runs along Highway 60 to Interstate 25. The northern border is Interstate 40 and State Highway 6 (old original Route 66) to Interstate 40. There are some huge bulls in that region, especially in the reaches north of Pie Town. I saw an absolutely heart-stopper 7x7 while scouting for deer two years ago up Forest Road 6 below the towers. He had a few cows with him and a couple of smaller bulls in the crowd as well, The unit takes in about half of Cibola County, the southwest corner of Valencia County, the northwest part of Soccorro County and the northeast corner of Catron County. I can't say too much for the area south of State Hihway 60 simply because I've not ventured too far into that part of the country. Keep in mind that things are very, very dry here in New Mexico right now. Hope all is going well for you Mr. Atkinson. Did you ever get to hunt on the King Ranch? All my best ... Tom Purdom

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thomas,
Yes, I have hunted the King on several ocassions, mostly for Nilgai antelope, good eaten animal...

This ranch is up high right on top of the continental divide and is reported to have some really big bulls and lots of elk year around..The rancher rides it every day or so and knows where the elk are..He doesn't seem to think anyone would have a problem getting an elk.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Archery tags sold. One muzzle loader sold.