Find
Notify
Tools

Rechambering 300WSM to..???
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of IdahoVandal
posted
I just purchased a stainless Savage model 16 that is currently a 300WSM. I bought it fairly reasonably to wildcat it using a WSM case. I am considering 6mm-300WSM for antelope/coyote or a 9.3mm-300WSM for moose/elk in timber. Obviously two very different choices. Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with anything similar or wildcatting the WSM.

Of course, I realize their are many other cartridges that will do the job just as well or better without all of the headaches---but this is a hobby and for fun!!

IV

minus 300 posts from my total
(for all the times I should have just kept my mouth shut......)

Posts: 844 | Location: Moscow, Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IV-for what it is worth I've got a 338/300 WSM and really enjoy it. May be worth a thought of two.

Mark D

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have seen 416-300 WSM & 458-300WSM. However I like 9.3s.

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 6.5-300 WSM is doing pretty well in long range match shoots. If your looking for an antelope gun, that sounds like perfect medicine.

There is a lot of discussion at the Shortmag forum regarding wildcats.

I hope to get my 6.5-300 WSM in any day now!

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
You could convert it to a 458 Noveske. Pretty sure that is a 458-300 WSM with a modified shoulder.

Ask Noveske himself: Former PacNor man

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
Picture of IdahoVandal
posted Hide Post
Mark: I have a 338 RUM so I think I want something different-- it would make too much sense to not need 3-5 boxes of different caliber bullets lying around! Smiler

458? 6.5? Very interesting ideas...(Vandal says while rubbing his chin)....

I am leaning towards the 6mm as I think I would use it more than a 9.3 or something bigger. (I have 4 points now in Idaho antelope?? This year---maybe???)

Any references to gunsmiths or people who have done this would be cool--- data of course is the big key.

IV

Posts: 844 | Location: Moscow, Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Visit http://www.shortmags.org/shortmags/ the options are almost endless.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12603 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I.V. I think the smaller cal. fits what you're looking for, especially if you have a 338 RUM--WHOMP!

It should be a super flat mother in 6 or 6.5--lots of bullets in 6 mm----gets me thinking, I've got a 300 WSM platform just waiting to be project-ized...........

Have Fun--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of IdahoVandal
posted Hide Post
Fjold: Thanks for the link--they seem like a good source of info. To do 6mm I am definetly going to need to go 29" or more to gain anything over a 6-284 etc. Most of what I have seen so far in 6mm seem to be doing 1-12" or 1-10" and tossing lighter bullets, I kind of want to go 1-8" and try some 107 ULD's....

IV

one of us
Picture of talentrec
posted Hide Post
IV-

I built a 6.5 WSM this summer. Using 130gr TSX's and 65 gr. of RL 25, I'm able to hit 3400 fps with a 25 inch barrel with no problems. It's deadly on antelope and deer. Using 270 WSM brass, all you need to do is resize it, turn the neck a little and trim the case.

Pete

Posts: 809 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of IdahoVandal
posted Hide Post
Hey all! (I realize this should probably be on the wildcatting forum but BG Hunting folks seem a lot more informative and helpful so here goes)

After researching quite a bit it seems 6mm WSM is not worth doing unless you go with a 30-32" tube, I am a hunter not a shooter so carrying that around ain't gonna fly (so to speak) thus I decided to go with 6.5WSM--anyone willing to share data or experiences with such please let me know I am going to use a 1-8" stainless 3 groove #4 contour fluted Lilja at 28"-- I guess 270WSM brass is the easiest-- any leads on dies?

IV

one of us
Picture of talentrec
posted Hide Post
IV-

Lee makes dies for 6.5 WSM for about 25 bucks. You can get them special order from other places, but they're going to cost considerably more.

I built mine using an MRC 1999 actiona and #3 contour 1 in 8 twist Lilja with a 25 inch tube. I would make sure that builder throats it out as far as possilbe so you can seat the bullets out as far as possible. I don't know what bullet you're planning on using, but the 130 -140 bullets take up a lot of case space if have to seat them back.

I tried H4831, RL22 and RL25. RL25 gave the best velocity and lowest pressure.

Pete

Posts: 809 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
My buddy's and my 6.5WSMs are Rem 700s, barrels are #2 contours 25" long. We also have second barrels in .338/300WSM, barrels cut at 24". The 6.5s shoot great (so do the .338s), have got a lot of reach, and the accuracy is so good, we don't tell group size because people who have not seen the targets think we're lying! Roll Eyes
Got a great Colorado antelope using Nosler's 100gr Ballistic Tip. Have also hunted caribou with the rifle using 125gr Nosler partitions. Email me and I'll send you my load data. thumb

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote