New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alaskan Moose
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A couple of us are thinking about trying the Alaskan Moose hunt next year. Are there places in SE Alaska where meese are abundant? It would be a plus if the location also has a place that will cut, wrap, and freeze the meat. Any comments or suggestions?

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Right here in downtown Anchorage!!. There was a good size cow eating the plants outside my condo when I came home tonight. We also have a cow with a calf and a young bull that we handfeed through the fence at work. So if you want moose come to Anchorage.

Posts: 355 | Location: Anchorage, Alaska | Registered: 09 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Finley
posted Hide Post
I happened to be in Anchorage last weekend and saw a 50+ inch bull cross 6 lanes of traffic downtown. He just wanted to eat off some of the trees in one of the parking lots! Sorry I can't be of more help for you denton, but I just moved here a few months ago myself. I did manage to shoot a small fork bull not to far out of the Wasilla area. I did see lots of moose everytime I went out. The bull I shot was only the second bull I saw in about 7 days of hunting though.
Your best bet would be to call F&G for the area you are interested in and they will help you out a bunch. They really gave me some good info. Good luck!

Posts: 223 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 20 February 2001Reply With Quote
<rwj>
posted
Anchorage is full of moose and it is a wonderful thing. As far as hunting moose in the SE part of the state, you should do as advised above and contact ADF&G and get a good map of the state and a copy of the hunting regulations. SE Alaska has at least five Game Management Units that cover an area about the size of Italy, so you should do some homework on where exactly you want to hunt and when and where you are allowed to hunt. ADF&G has an excellent webpage at www.state.ak.us/adfg. Consult that source of information and that should get you on your way.