Find
Notify
Tools

Tikka T-3 Lite in 338
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted
I've heard some good things about the new tikka T-3 Lite and I was looking into getting one. I was planning on a getting it in a 300 win mag, but since I have a 30-06, why not get a bigger bullet. I'm looking at getting the "lite" version as my 30-06 weighs a bit much for elk hunting (and I want a new gun). Has anyone tried one of these out in the 338 win mag. I remeber reading an article in an SCI magazine about a moose hunt where they tested the T-3 and the author got a "lite" version in 338 and said it didn't recoil too bad. If you've tried one of these out in the 338, or any caliber for that matter, I'd be interested to here your thoughts on it and how it recoiled. The two biggest calibers I've fired that you could compare the recoil to are the 500 jeffery and the 9.3x64. I appreciate your help.

Sevens

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not exactly sure how lite the T-3 in 338 is but recoil in a light 338 will still be substantially less than a 500 Jeffrey. It will probably be lighter overall than a 9,3x64 but faster. In 338 there is also a big difference in recoil from 210gr loads to 250gr loads.
It's going to be a big step up from your 30-06 but most shooters who will work a little bit can shoot a 338 Win Mag, but usually in a medium weight gun......DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of talentrec
posted Hide Post
My brother bought one of these this spring for a bear hunt. He topped it with a Leupold VX-III in 3.5-10.

The recoil was.....unpleasant. He did manage to get it sighted in with Federal Premium 250 gr. Nosler partitions. When we finally found his bear, he pulled the trigger, the bear dropped, and his scope landed on the ground. The recoil completely sheared the rings off the receiver. If you buy the rifle, spend the money and get a pair of steel Talleys for it.

Pete

Posts: 809 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On Tikka's the best rings you could use would be the Optilock Tikka bases bolted in from the top as well as using the recoil stop pin. Steel Talleys are great but I don't think they make one to fit the 17mm Tikka dovetail that also screws in from the top.......DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
I have a Remington 300 Win Mag that kicks like a SOB, but it came with a Limb-Saver recoil pad. I say this because on a rest it kicks enough to rip it out of my left hand (i am a right handed shooter)The pad absorbs all of the painfull recoil. I have used kickeze(sp) recoil pads in the past but, if I buy another rifle it will have a Limb-Saver pad on it also.

BTW I use a 150gr BT touching the lands with a max charge of 4831 it is the most accurate load in my rifle.

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ruttinbuck
posted Hide Post
I have a T3 hunter in 300WM.Burris FF2 scope,loaded with three rounds it weighs 8#+/-.I added a pachmeyer decellerator pad to help the smack I was taking.It is managable with the 165gr @ 3050fps,but move up to the 180gr @ 2950fps and you have to really hang on as the rifle wants to take you back a step.I am 6' and 200#.

Posts: 95 | Location: interior BC | Registered: 07 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of sako
posted Hide Post
I have a T3 lite in 300wm with meopta 3-12*50 scope and the original recoil pad and with 185gr bullet and max load it does kick pretty hard!
But it sure is sweet to see this rifle punch the paper!

I did test another t3 lite in same cal with an mercury recoil pin in the stock and shot both guns to feel the difference and i must say these pins are really good! It feels like a 30-06 on the shoulder.

Regards Ben.

Posts: 290 | Location: Iceland | Registered: 06 January 2004Reply With Quote