New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weidmanns Heil, Roger!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My youngest son, Roger, filled his tag on 12 November 2017; after some good, old-fashioned, hard hunting, he brought down this mule deer doe:

This deer was taken southwest of Chinook, Montana on private land. This is his third deer since he began hunting three years ago, and by coincidence, this doe was taken just a stone's throw from where he shot his first deer.

Roger used my CZ M550 in 7x57mm; the pill was a 145-grain Speer HotCore loaded with IMR 4064.

The thing I love about this kid is that he hunts and hunts hard. He hunted harder for this doe for than a lot of people hunt for a buck.

Weidmanns Heil, Roger!

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Venandi
posted Hide Post
Well Done! I enjoy seeing pictures of hunters who gratefully and respectfully take does. That will be some great eating!

The title of your post reminds me of the time we had a German engineer pay a visit to my employer. There are several taxidermy mounts in my office area and the engineer, upon seeing them, shook my hand and said "Weidmanns Heil." (I had to Google it.) I was also surprised that he used the word "wapiti."

No longer Bigasanelk

Posts: 584 | Location: Central Wisconsin | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you, sir - I am very proud of this young man because he hunts like he means it, every time, and he is dedicated to learning more about hunting every chance he gets. Even though he is in his turbulent teenage years and we have trouble relating to each other or getting along sometimes, we have this tradition and love for hunting in common, and that will last a lifetime.

Just as importantly, he is quite the student of what to do after the deer is down. He takes very good care of the carcass, and we age it for 10 days or so (thank goodness we live in the latitude that we do) before butchering and cutting. He knows how to trim the meat well, portion and package it so that it will last for years in the freezer, if necessary...but, it usually isn't necessary, because we love to cook it, too, and are always trying different things. This time, he saved several of the organs and even wanted to caul fat for a couple of recipes.

Our family is German, originating in the Rhine valley, and we've tried to keep a few traditions from there alive. I'm very grateful to a member here at AR, DUK, who helped re-acquaint me with many of those traditions.

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tell him good job. A doe is mighty fine eating.

A few years ago bow hunting a had a doe bust me a lot.

When I finely fooled her it felt real good.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to you and Roger.

Good seeing you on here.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A pleasure reading your post. Your acorn did not fall far from the tree.

Posts: 8274 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 12 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Taz, be proud of your son -- and of his father, who obviously raised him to know what is important. You are both blessed.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16654 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

WMH to the hunter and great to see father and son hunting together. Special moments.

Also interesting to see German / European traditions being implemented in the USA. Dont forget the "Jaegerbruch"!

Cheers

Charlie

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2327 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats!

ya!

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Many thanks, gents - he's a good one, when he isn't concentrating on being a teenager.... Wink

One of Us
Picture of Dom
posted Hide Post
Well done, I see der letzte Bissen, Waidmannsheil.

-------- There are those who only reload so they can shoot, and then there are those who only shoot so they can reload. I belong to the first group. Dom ---------

Posts: 728 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
when he isn't concentrating on being a teenager

A lot of us survived that time period in our lives.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Outstanding my friend, you've done good!

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote