THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    More American idol -- O'Reilly on Underwood

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

More American idol -- O'Reilly on Underwood
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted
During last night's show on FOX, Bill O'Reilly called Carrie Underwood a "patriot" because she will contribute money to the "humane society." Thinking he might not know what HSUS really is, I sent him the following email.

Mr. Bill,

Although I’m an avid fan of your show and normally agree with most of your views, I was disappointed in your “patriot” appraisal of Carrie Underwood on your Fri. evening show (March 13). Perhaps it was due to the probable email blitz your boss is currently under, but your patriot bestowal was understandable. Here’s a bit of background why.

The Humane Society of the United States (HSUS) has duped you like so many others, into associating them with the worthy efforts of the American Humane Society or the local humane societies, such as the SPCA -- the folks who REALLY do a lot to help pets and such. On its website, the American Humane Society even tries to distance itself from HSUS with, “Dedicated to protecting both children and animals, American Humane IS NOT affiliated with the Humane Society of the United States, an organization that promotes the protection of animals. Nor is American Humane a parent organization of local “humane societies” and SPCAs, which are locally based, independent agencies that operate animal shelters and provide animal care and control services to their communities.”

In contrast, HSUS is a quasi-animal rights organization which has intentionally used it misleading name to further a cause to do away with any use of animals, including for medical experiments, trapping and hunting. HSUS is a well-funded AR organization just a step below the radicalism of PETA. HSUS owns NO shelters and rarely provides any revenue to directly aid animals. Instead, they lobby, file lawsuits, etc. to ELIMINATE any animals use, including even that which may be beneficial.

The current CEO of HSUS, Wayne Pacelle, has been involved with animal-rights causes since his days during the early 1990s with the Fund for Animals. In the past, HSUS has attempted to partner up with various entities and businesses that would put more revenue into the HSUS bank account. Some of those included Iams, General Mills, Accor Hotels, Pet Safe, Sears, Meijer Inc, and Ace Hardware. Fortunately, ALL of them realized their mistake and immediately ended the relationship after sportsmen around America contacted them, the very thing that is now happening to FOX and Peter Liguori.

The difference:

http://www.hsus.org/

http://www.azhumane.org/

http://www.americanhumane.org/

Maybe you’re wondering why I am so concerned, so I’ll explain. I’m a hunter and a freelance outdoor writer. Over the last 38 years, I’ve amassed article/photo credits in about every major outdoor publication in the US and even in several foreign ones. And over that same time, I’ve done battle in PRINT with the likes of the HSUS and PETA types who have constantly attacked trapping, fishing and most of all, hunting – a wholesome, well regulated sport that has produced mucho benefits for many wildlife species around the world.

Yes, it is possible to save, help and conserve animals by killing some of them; the latter often funds the former. Several of the native species so prevalent today wouldn’t exist had it not been for the efforts of hunters early in the 1900s to put laws in place for seasons, bag limits and other rules. Since then, the revenue produced by hunters from licenses and tags have funded the state wildlife agencies, many of which in this country DO NOT receive money from the general tax funds. Additionally, because the agencies are responsible for ALL wildlife within the state, the funding hunters provide also goes to support the conservation and research for non-game (not hunted) wildlife.

So…by contributing money to HSUS’s coffers, Ms. Underwood is helping HSUS attack hunting and hunters in its zeal to eliminate it. If that happens, the funding for ALL wildlife management disappears. That makes Ms. Underwood a “pinhead,” no?

Tony Mandile
Glendale, AZ

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get a response yet?

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Tony, though not quite as extensive or as eloquent as yours, I too sent Bill an email describing HSUS as a radical organization and recommending that Underwood be reconsidered as his pinhead. No response; not that I expect it. But maybe mine's short and blunt enough to make the airwaves and get my 15 seconds! Big Grin

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I doubt he will respond via email, but he might do so with something sort of general. Since this happened Fri., he would probably comment during his Mon. show if he chooses to do so.

I also imagine it will depend on how many people took exception to his "patriot" appointment of Underwood.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
tony - bet he's got you on the ignore list

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I'll try to watch tonight to see if he covers it again. Surely we're not the only two that realize what HSUS and Underwood are really up to. Patriot my ass.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Never been an O'Reilly fan. I suppose this was a 'no spin' endorsement? moon

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Email sent to Bill:

Dear Bill,

The Humane Society of the United States is a radical leftist animal rights organization, very similar to the pinheads at PETA. They do not operate or donate to or support any animal shelters, nor do they do anything to promote animal welfare.

Please do not confuse them with The Humane Society, which does operate shelters, and is a good organization.

Mrs. Underwood is a pinhead, certainly not a patriot!

Wendell Reich
Dallas Texas

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
update, tony?

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nothing much to update. Frowner

I received no direct reply, nor did O'Reilly address the topic on last night's show, the first one since he designated Underwood as a "patriot."

So perhaps Mr. Bill is either unwilling to admit his confusion or he agrees with Underwood's support of HSUS.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
he agrees with Underwood's support of HSUS.

i don't disagree with o'reilly on much, but this would be one. i know that he is a pretty strong supporter of the 2nd amendment, but not sure how he feels about hunting.

i could be wrong, but i am guessing that underwood is not against huntng and is supporting the HSUS more because of the little neglected puppies and kitties - it could very well be that she is unaware of "the other side" of this organization; unfortunately, the end result is the same. Frowner

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
i could be wrong, but i am guessing that underwood is not against huntng and is supporting the HSUS more because of the little neglected puppies and kitties - it could very well be that she is unaware of "the other side" of this organization;

You would be wrong Taz. Her official online biography notes that she is really into animal rights and is also a long time vegetarian. I seriously doubt if she would be ignorant as to the official stance of HSUS.

Mac

Posts: 1638 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
You would be wrong Taz

it happens often! Wink

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
You would be wrong Taz

it happens often!

Trust me buddy, I know the feeling. I never knew just how ignorant I was until I got married. Now she makes sure she tells me at least twice a day!!!!
dancing dancing

Posts: 1638 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's the latest from The U.S. Sportsmen's Alliance:

Block Anti’s from Cashing In on American Idol Tune

Plea Sent to Carrie Underwood’s Management and Head of Sony Music
3/18/09

The USSA continues to work to stop the nation’s leading anti-hunting organization from dipping into the pockets of country music fans who happen to be hunters, anglers, and trappers.

As reported previously, Carrie Underwood’s song, “Home Sweet Home,” is played as the farewell song on each episode the hit show, American Idol. A portion of sales of the song are being forward to the virulently anti-hunting Humane Society of the United States (HSUS).

The USSA is working to stop the promotion as a way to blunt the HSUS’s ceaseless attacks on sportsmen’s rights.

On March 18, the USSA sent letters to Carrie Underwood’s management company, 19 Management, and the head of the Sony Music Corporation that runs her record label, Sony Nashville. The letters outline the real agenda of the HSUS. They also express the outrage felt by the USSA and many thousands of sportsmen nationwide over donations to the HSUS from the proceeds of Underwood’s latest song while urging the financial relationship end.

The USSA will report immediately upon the response from 19 Management and Sony Music Corp.

The USSA thanks the thousands of sportsmen made phone calls and sent faxes and e-mails to Fox Broadcasting urging them to not give the song a national platform to drive its sales. Though Fox and American Idol have declined to stop using the song during the show’s telecast, sportsmen should keep bringing the heat.

Companies such as Iams, General Mills, Accor Hotels, Sears, and Ace Hardware ended relationships with HSUS after thousands of sportsmen levied strong protest.

one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks for the update, tony - please keep us informed....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mr. "O" is nothing more than an eastern elitist pinhead without a clue as to how the rest of the country feels or functions. He's a babbling idiot of the first order, as are most talking heads on the tube. They live insulated from reality. pissers on the media...

Posts: 1765 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I refuse to watch him. He's not a conservative. He's said several times he's not a Republican. He did a lot of harm IMO to the GOP and Pres. Bush. He's one with the lib dems on several issues. He has an irritating style and persona and is overbearing, selfish and rude to his guests.

He doesn't know how to do an interview. He has pretty good knowledgeable people on that show at times, and then ruins it by constantly butting in, interrupting and talking over them. He's just somebody who controls a microphone and a large audience and therefore gets away with it and has his way influencing people.

One individual he treats as an equal on there is Geraldo. And that's a guy who when substituting as host on that show, I have heard lapse into foul language when referring to the NRA.

What I thought was a real telling point on O'Reilly, was once he was doing a segment detailing the low church attendance in European countries. I recall he mentioned the UK as an example. On the next show he read some e-mail responses and one said something to the effect, Bill how could a man as educated as you are believe in religion.

It was his response I never forgave him for. He didn't answer that comment or deny what was being implied about him or state whatever it is he does believe in, but just looked into the camera and grinned. That was when I knew what he really thought, and that was all I needed.

Any one of us, picked out at random, who if given his job would be a far better influence in my opinion. I have that much confidence in the outdoor sporting community to say that.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What Shack said!

O'Reilly is far to arrogant to ever admit to being wrong.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote