Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

S.E. Alaska Bear Hunting
 Login/Join

posted
Just saw a TV show about hunting black bears out of Sitka with an outfitter named Scott McCloud, Raven Outfitters. They took a couple of really good black bears! Anyone here familiar with this outfit?

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
John,

You'd think I would know him, or something about him, but I don't.

I can ask around though.

Just as a note, there are no Black bear in the Sitka area. Doesn't mean he's not well set up in another area which has Black bears though. Many Black bear hunts are done from boats.

Did ya notice a boat? If so, the boat name?

------------------
Brian
The 416 Taylor WebPage!

Posts: 778 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Big Stick>
posted
I've never heard of him..............

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Me either, but that doesn't carry much weight.

I do know parts of SE Alaska area has some whopper Black Bears though.

------------------
Wendell Reich
Hunter's Quest International

Posts: 6255 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
<Big Stick>
posted
I've heard that. I hope to get my first,next Spring..............

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Stick:
I've heard that. I hope to get my first,next Spring..............

Really, you don't say?

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
So I guess I'm not the only person who started thinking about bears when I saw those monster bear pics!

Unfortunately for me it's gonna be at least 2 years away.

[This message has been edited by MarkWhite (edited 12-21-2001).]

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
John S,
600 pound black bears in Prince William Sound are not uncommon. Get an inflatable 13' Achilles or Zodiak with a 25 HP motor and fly it out with a float plane to (CENSORED) Bay, near (CENSORED) Alaska.

The oil spill in April of '89 did not hurt the black bears, or much of anything else, except Exxon.

I was there in '93 and took a 350 lbs., average, black bear, after the guys with the Achilles dropped me off to walk up the valley by the bay by myself. The day before the two of them had taken a black bear that was at least 600 lbs. I was with them and watched a single 270 Win. 150 grain Nosler do the deed.

A guide is not required for black bear. So I could go along as your guide, else I will not reveal the name of (CENSORED) Bay. And you can swim with the orcas while you are there, or merely take photos.

A guide working out of Whittier or Valdez with a 40 foot cruiser towing the dingy would be the way to go, however. You can cruise the bays, glass, and take your pick with just a little bit of stalking over the rough terrain. Beautiful country.

------------------
So many bovids! So little time and money!
RAB

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
<Big Stick>
posted
Mark,

I was sorta funnin' some of the guys here. I live in pretty good Bear country and am lucky in that regard,so I am spoiled.

Here's my BEST "Alaskan Tip". Do NOT procrastinate,do it. You will never regret,having made that journey. The scenery alone,is worth the price of admission. The fishing has to be seen,to be believed and there are a couple Bears lurking.

When it comes time to do it,ask LOTS of questions and carefully sift through the answers,looking for a trend..............

one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
My best Black Bear hunt I have is n SE Alaska. 54' Cabin cruiser, excellent guide, food and service. Not cheap at $4000 1x1 $3500 2x1, but I have never had a complaint on this guide. An honest 7' bear is a very reasonable expectation. About 50% of his Black Bear will top 7'. And like 'Big Stick' said, Fishing and scenery are the icing on the cake! Oh yea and ask lots of questions, not everyone here is as competent as my guide!

------------------
Wendell Reich
Hunter's Quest International

Posts: 6255 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
John,

Getting back to you...

While I have no personal reports to share, I do have something that may help.

I asked my bear hunting friend about Raven Outfitters, and he said that they were one of the boats we ran into last Spring while Brown bear hunting.

We were staying in a Forest Service cabin and hunting from a smaller aluminum skiff. The Raven folks, moored up just offshore, for the evening. The were nice enough to call us on the radio, and ask if we were hunting the area around the cabin. We had been, but were done for the day, and that's what we radio'd back.

The next day we got underway to do some more hunting, and stopped by there boat (which I recall had no name visible) and talked to one of the guides, or assistant guides. He was fleshing out a nice size Brown bear they had shot the day before.

Anyhow, they seemed like nice people. They did not have to call us on the radio and ask where we were hunting. Just doing that should some class. You often hear stories about Guides being pushy, so that caught us by suprise.

Here's a picture of me waiting by my friends boat. As you can see, tides are always a big factor.

BTW, the Raven folks were moored up just to the right, outside the picture...

------------------
Brian
The 416 Taylor WebPage!

<rwj>
posted
John: As a general rule, Prince of Wales Island is crawling with black bears...there are lots of Forest Service cabins to rent at reasonable prices and there is at least one outfit near Thorn Bay that will rent you a cabin and boat right there for bear hunting...I have not used them but search the web for POW Island...and take the good advice given above from those that know: get yer self up here and get after'm.

I have paid good money to be "guided" on black bear hunts over in Alberta...and it was worth every penny I spent and I shot a couple of average bbs, and I would never want to discourage anyone from using a guide to hunt anything..a good guide, as we all know, is worth their weight in gold...however, black bears are generally not high on the difficulty-scale to find and kill if you hunt were there are lots of them...POW Is...enough of my rambling.

Brian: How did your hunt go this past spring? My partner and I are going to Admiralty Is. in May to chase brown bears...what is your experience there?

Robert Jobson

posted Hide Post
Thanks a lot everyone! I didn't notice a name on his boat, but it was a sizable yacht or similar type craft. I've hunted in S.E. several years ago for brown bear, used th boats and it was a fabulous hunt. Great country, greater food!

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
Robert,

We did not get a bear this year.

The hunting was great though. We saw a dozen or more, put on a couple exciting stalks, and got skunked each time.

That's the nice part about hunting whatever animal lives in your home area, no pressure to take risky shots, or smallish animals. We're heading out again this Spring, just as soon as the bear come out, and the weather allows.

I've never hunted Admiralty Is. so I can't offer any advice. I would imagine getting south, away from Juneau would help.

------------------
Brian
The 416 Taylor WebPage!

posted Hide Post
Found them! Have a look at:

www.ravenguides.com

<allen day>
posted
John, these guys look pretty good to me!

AD

posted Hide Post
Allen,
I think so myself! There are a number of good outfitters in the area, as previously noted. I just know that I must get up there soon and do another boat hunt like this! The food is worth the trip!!!!!!!

<Big Stick>
posted
John S,

I looked but didn't see anything very impressive on their Site. Generally,there will be an exceptional example pictured and some hard facts,regarding past experiences and what your expectations should be in relation to past success. I didn't see a single Black Bear pictured. That would "spook" me,on a $4000 Hunt(or a $400 Hunt,for that matter).

Another thing that spooked me,is when someone talks about their Trophy Blacktail Hunts and doesn't have a single deceased Blacktail field photo,on their Site. In fact,their banner for their Deer Hunting,shows a picture of a Whitetail.

I can read sign and would personally shop elsewhere. Though your mileage,may vary.........

<tohuffs>
posted
I think SE Alaska is the most beautiful and pristine place I have ever seen. Here are some scenes from my fall hunt in SE.

[This message has been edited by tohuffs (edited 12-25-2001).]

posted Hide Post
BigStick-
No worries, I will do considerable checking before booking a hunt with any outfitter! I have Raven's brochure coming and will give it the same treatment!

Tohuffs-
Those pic's are wonderful! reminds me of my own trip to the area several years ago when i was after brown bear!

<Big Stick>
posted
John S,

Research,will assure you of the best results. I just found it odd,that someone catering to a Trophy Black Bear Hunt,wouldn't have some sampling of past harvests for ready viewing.

Perhaps their brochure is chalked full of HOGS?

Just ask lots of questions. Seek references and KNOW what you want(regarding Trophy quality),before you go. I'd also give SERIOUS thought,to go solo,less a Guide of any type.

But that's me..............

<Big Stick>
posted
(Photo Test)...........

That's what I'm looking for,in a SE Black Bear.............

[This message has been edited by Big Stick (edited 12-25-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Big Stick (edited 12-25-2001).]

posted Hide Post
Me too! Tell us the story if you would. That looks to be a fantastic bear!

<rwj>
posted
Tohuffs: Beautiful photos and a nice bear! Tell us about that hunt. What rifle/caliber did you use...did you hunt from a boat? Tell us a story.

Thanks,

Robert Jobson

<Big Stick>
posted
John S,

My computer is all but dead,but I'll try a quick post,to answer your question.

This Bear was killed in early Spring of this year and was around the 60th I'd looked over,at that time. He was killed via the spot and stalk technique. I snuck on him twice,on this day.

I knew he was solid from a distance and worthy of a closer look. However,the weather and tides,weren't condusive to his granting me that.

I failed to get on him,on the first sneak. The wind betrayed my presence. Later that day,I saw him again in the same spot,but had a much better feel for the lay of the land(I snooped around pretty hard,finding his escape routes,after my first attempt).

Long story short,I slipped to within 30yds of him and sized him up(using one of his prior determined escape routes). I was hoping to get him on video,but he wasn't wanting to allow that.

He immediately bolted,dead away from me,seeking deep cover. I waited until the last second,for him to turn,hoping he'd expose a shoulder for me to bust. He didn't do that,so I hit him in the stern. That bullet,did as intended and he was piled up 20yds away. I gave him a second poke through the shoulders,from 15' away.

That was the end of the Hunt. According to the girth charts I use,he weighed in the vacinity of 550lbs. Actually,I think he was better than that,as he was incredibly fat. With no way,to move something that big,I'm forced to rely upon the chart's speculation. Regardles,he is of obvious size,for an early Black Bear.

His skull is still in the freezer,I'm guessing he'll only net about 20-8/16ths. I skinned him dorsal,for a lifesize mount,he would of easily squared over 7 foot. Likely 7-1/2.

I hit him with a pair of 270gr FailSafe's,out of a 375H&H Improved. Had it been a lesser rifle or projectile,I'd of had to slip up on him the third time (grin)...........

posted Hide Post
Big Stick-
Marvelous story and my hat is off to your hunting savy!
I find the Fail safe to be a superb bullet, overall it is my favorite for use on large game at any range.
I'm getting a 375Wby built and the 270gr FS will be one of the first bullets tested! BTW, my brown bear fell to a 230gr FS from my 33 G&A at a distance of 100yds. He dropped immediately, the bullet went into his neck, just below the skull. From there it went down through the neck, through the shoulders and mid section, exitting just behind his off side rear leg.

<Big Stick>
posted
John,

I'm an X bullet man,of the first order. I opted the FailSafe on that occasion,as sort of a "thanks" to a friend who made me a very good deal,on a supply of them.

Though I certainly can NOT fault that projectile,I've retired them,for my use on Game. I've simply too much faith in the X,in my barrels,to look elsewhere.

Neither of those bullets were recovered,penetration was what one would expect out of the 375,coupled with superb bullets and internal damage was significant(indicating expansion,coupled with the deep penetration).

No flies on the FailSafe,by me. I just have much more confidence in the X,due to many more trips down my barrels. As an aside,the 375H&H Improved/Wby,is one of my favorite cartridges. I hope you find it likewise.............

posted Hide Post
Big Stick-
I can't any any faults with an X bullet, but my barrels sure can! I just have never received the accuracy I demand when I tried them. A good friend shot them from his 375imp and they did deliver!
Give the Fail Safe bullets more field use, I think you will find them more consistently accurate, my buddy has and now uses them exclusively.

<Big Stick>
posted
John,

Both my 375Ackley's,will shoot the 270XLC into the .5's/.6's,with Re-15. The FailSafe load wasn't as good,but I didn't fiddle with it much,it may have beat that. I assembled that load for close range Bear Whackin'.

Once the distance increased,I'd of reached for my 300Super/165grXLC combo. Basically,the FailSafe was a one time deal,to repay a favor.

I've yet to encounter the "X-woes",one reads about. Accuracy was never difficult to achieve and their on Game performance is stellar. I lean on them heavily,in most every diameter and in a multitude of different intensity levels.

Use what works best for you and use it well...........

one of us
posted Hide Post
My, my, my, Big Stick that is one good looking fellow in that photo with that big bear of yours. Oh and btw, I'll charge my same model fee next time I come so you don't have to post your mug on the net

Posts: 210 | Location: Montana | Registered: 30 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mr. Stick,
I am trying to get a 165 or 180 XLC Bt to shoot consistently accurate. What steps as far as seating depths and others do you do to get these kind of groups. TIA

<Big Stick>
posted
Skys,

FINALLY got my computer kick stated! New monitor,enroute. Then I'll be able to converse,without mechanical difficulties.

Yes you are pretty! I like that photo very much,as it gives an idea of both noggin' size and body size,without any fluff,in the way.

I'll kill a bigger one,here in just a couple months. Perhaps that will entice you,to return??(grin)...............

Sakoluver,

I prefer my X's kissing the lands and start load development there. That is contrary to every other opinion,you are likely to encounter(including Barnes).

I'm a diehard Re-Series propellant man,as well. The only 30cal rifle I've ever owned,that didn't Like X's,was a Sako TRG-S in 30-378. But it didn't like ANYTHING and was quickly sold.

The 165gr XLC,is my favorite in this diameter and a literal sledgehammer on Game...............

one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
Stick,

My monitor is also dying a slow death. Most the pictures posted here are too dark for me to see. Although Big Sky's noggin shows up alright!

Did ya see a orange and white helo fly over town yesterday? We cruised by twice, once for a "pit stop" at the local airport (too much coffee! It was a 5.3 hour flight, and most of us have 4 hour bladders ) and the second time a bit later, following the road from east to west.

I looked for ya, but didn't see any cool aluminum skiffs, or Toyota trucks. I did finally see that cabin! It's back in those trees and hard to see. Also checked out the "remote" boat launch ramp.

Anyhow, what this all got to do with Black Bear hunting is S.E. Alaska? Well, the whole flight was a great chance to scope the terrain again, and I can't wait to get started!

Since the season doesn't officially end till June, just let me know when you start seeing them, and I'll get there pronto!

------------------
Brian
The 416 Taylor WebPage!

<Big Stick>
posted
BW,

I musta been in my dungeon,loading ammo?!? I didn't hear you. The boy generally comments on your bird flying over,it's one of his favorites(big and noisy!). You see how all the snow by my house,is disappearing? That means two things(to me). One,the Deer are going to fair well,this Winter. Second,the Bears will be creeping out early again.

Without a single doubt,I'll see Bears emerging in mid-March. I think March 9,is the earliest I've seen more than one. I'll be Hunting hard,by April 1,barring a freak late Winter snowfall.

The cabin is tucked into a pretty good nook and would be easy to miss from the air. Glad you caught a glimpse and can see on the map,how everything fits. The remote/primitive ramp,is easy to get to. Friends are launching there now(Trapping),but require tire chains to do so. My boat goes in the water,in the early AM,chasing after Wolves.

I'll be paying close attention,to the Bears exiting their dens. My intent,is to put the boy on a HOG and I'll bat clean-up,after he slams a dandy. Now that our Rut is over,the Spring Bear Hunt is foremost in my mind.

Here's Sky,in another photo,of the same Bear. Should give a better glimpse of his noggin',even with your tired monitor(grin).............

one of us
posted Hide Post

BIG STICK,you should be called BIG BEAR,nice bear . Thanks,Kev

Posts: 1002 | Location: ALASKA, USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HI,

BIG STICK,I would like to talk to you about a certain area and would like to get a E_mail,as I cannot find yours. Look for my E-mail under my name and drop me a message.Thanks for your time,Kev

Posts: 1002 | Location: ALASKA, USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote