New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is it OK To.....................
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I hope I dont get blasted for this, but is it Ok and normal to be nervous before a Bear Hunt.
I am booked to hunt Coastal Grizzly bear in 15'.
I have hunted and been close to Spot and stalk Vancouver Island black bear at 30 yards, Mt.Lion in a tree, Night Hunting in an Airboat for Monster Gators, and prepared for a close charge of a Water Buffalo, But these Coastal British Columbia beasts are of course in another class.
I had a dream last night that my Father had a pet African lion, that lived in his house, and in my dream I was scared crapless of it. I think this is part of my nervousness of this bear hunt.
Its plenty far away time wise, but I do occasionally get a nervous feeling when I think about this hunt. Just want to make sure thats normal.
I was hesitant to post his thread, but I wanted some advice from other hunters.
Thanks in advance,
WSmiler

Posts: 782 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 03 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
Suck it up Nancy, you'll be fine, you should never be scared of an animal that can be taught to ride a tricycle Big Grin

I'm kidding of course.

Drum

PS, don't watch the film Grizzly Man with Timothy Treadwell before your hunt

Posts: 2093 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you felt no fear, why bother? Respect and a certain amount of fear are hard wired in when confronting such an animal, and yourself, at the primal level. Those who are not "afraid" (apprehension mixed with respect based on reality) are idiots, Timmy Treadwell the archetypical example, and we all know how well that turned out...

There can be no bravery if one is not afraid.

There is no elation in overcoming the mundane.

Posts: 763 | Location: Montana | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Look at the bright side. If you get killed and eaten, your grandchildren will have a lot better story to tell than you getting old, wearing depends, and stumbling around the nursing home grabbing the old ladies' butts.

I have seen the BC grizz, they aren't all that scary

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe you will get lucky and have to go hand to hand combat with the bear. In the unfortunate event the bear got the best of you I would feel very sorry for your wifes next husband. How could he ever compete with the memory of you? The man who took on a bear and lost. Her new husband would always look like a snibbling coward compared to the memory of youSmiler

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Woodsie,

Your emotions are yours. There is no right or wrong. Just remember a grizzly is no different than any other mammal. They are not bullet proof. Listen to your guide, don't take a shot you are not comfortable with and you'll be fine.

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13023 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
We are all just hanging around waiting on dead anyway.

I'd rather die hunting than in a hospital room

But that's just me

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Respect is healthy, overpowering or paralyzing fear may be a problem.
Here is a video link that may help get you excited rather than scared.
if you don't want to watch the whole vid skip to 4 min into it.
http://www.huntingreport.com/v...ies_details.cfm?id=6

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm sure you will be fine, but a healthy respect is normal. Good luck!!

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Woodsie,

just ask yourself
What would Davy do" (WWDD)

Just be sure you're right,
then go ahead.

Best

GWB

PS: Don't forget your coon skin cap and a "grin".

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A famous old elephant hunter once said, "If one says that they had no fear when approaching these huge beasts, they are either liars or they have no imagination!"

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:

But that's just me

Amen, brother, Amen!

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pagosawingnut:
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:

But that's just me

Amen, brother, Amen!

I've told my buds I hunt with, I've put my request in with the "man upstairs". I've asked to die in the deer stand. Told them when they find me, just roll me out and leave me for the hogs to recycle. It would be good karma considering how many of them I've killed and eaten.

dancing

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can't think of a better way to go or a more fitting end to the remains GWB.

Woodsie,
Maybe it's not fear, maybe it's just the beginning of an adrenaline rush? Hunting something that can and will hunt you adds another degree to the hunt.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Look at it this way. If you do get killed and eaten, you will then prove everybody wrong who said you'd never amount to shit!

hilbily

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=

DRSS; NRA; Illinois State Rifle Association; Missouri Sport Shooting Association

“One of the sad signs of our times is that we have demonized those who produce, subsidized those who refuse to produce, and canonized those who complain.”
– Thomas Sowell, “The Vision Of The Anointed: Self-Congratulation As A Basis For Social Policy”

Posts: 771 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 09 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Woodsie,

I've never hunted dangerous game so take this for what it's worth- Boddington has written how lions scare him (he was reallllly afraid until he killed his first lion). I believe he wrote he is still a little nervous around them, but after he killed his first one he settled down a little. He spent something over 100 days hunting lions before he killed one, too- he had plenty of time to think of his fear then. He said John Wooters had the same fear of elephants until he killed his first one. I would love to hunt DG some day, I can't say I have a deep seated fear of any animal now, but I do not like the water (had a little swimming incident a few years ago that)...hunting hippos and crocodiles gives me the willies thinking about that dark murky water... Whistling

I heal fast and don't scar.

Posts: 433 | Location: Monessen, PA | Registered: 23 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of SBT
posted Hide Post
Fear is your friend. Saddle up in spite of it, channel it and don't let it over come you. With fear in your back pocket, you'll hunt smart and safe.

"There are worse memorials to a life well-lived than a pair of elephant tusks." Robert Ruark

Posts: 4781 | Location: Story, WY / San Carlos, Sonora, MX | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Woodsie
My "fear" during a recent cape buffalo hunt
allowed for a knife edged focus in those
moments when it mattered.
Natural, I think to respect and even fear
this class of prey.
The kind that have a history of being dangerous
to hunters and "tough to kill"
Guess that's why we "challenge them; ie "hunt them"
My rule of thumb then as now
Make the 1st shot count.
Good luck on your bear hunt

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
I have guided for bears for.... just thinking here........ 35 years on the button. I guided for grizzly on coastal BC in the Bella Coola area years ago and for interior grizzlies in BC and the Yukon. It is exciting and that is why we do it.

Quit worrying about it and prepare for it. Get the old peeshooter in target and practice until it is second nature using it.

Think about the hunt in a positive way. Envisage a big bear and shooting it. Think about stalking them and the whole picture. You can prepare psychologically.

If you are still a bit nervous when you get there get your guide to ferry you around and look at bears before getting serious. Once you have seen a few and even conducted a few practice stalks you will be ready.

You are going to have one of the best hunting experiences out there. Enjoy it and I wish I was going with you.

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1845 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote