Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Antelope hunt
 Login/Join

posted
We are wanting to do a antelope hunt next fall. Any ideas and or info that can be put out would be great.

thanks
nicktr

Posts: 9 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nicktr:
We are wanting to do a antelope hunt next fall. Any ideas and or info that can be put out would be great.

thanks
nicktr

Fall 2003 or fall 2004?

Posts: 14628 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In which State do you live??

And how many are "we?"

How long can you stay and hunt?

Will you camp out, or stay in a motel,etc.?

L.W.

Posts: 253 | Location: S.W. Idaho | Registered: 30 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know a good rancher in NM who is quite reasonable. Bring your own food and camp on his land with the others. A splendid time is guaranteed for all as it is a good bunch of regulars who attend this hunt every year. Including licenses, costs run about $1300
Email me if you are interested at john_salevurakis@hotmail.com

Best,

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,
I guess I didn't give enough info myself. My apologies.
We live in Ohio and would be driving west to keep the cost under control. The only consideration on which state would be driving distance. there would be 2 to 4 hunters hunting a week. Accommodations could be just about any. Camping, motels, lodges, all could be considered.
thanks again
nicktr

Posts: 9 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All antelope hunts in New Mexico, as far as I am aware, are 2 day hunts. North of Interstate 40 is an earlier hunt and is held, I think, around the third week is August. South of Interstate 40 is held the third weekend in September. The web address for NM dept of Game & Fish is www.gmfsh.state.nm.us this should tell you whatever you need to know about NM antelope. The folks at game and fish might even be have a listing of landowners who obtained permits to sell and be able to get some contacts for you. I'm not sure about that but wont hurt to check in to it.

Posts: 72 | Location: House, NM | Registered: 03 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
We (me and two friends) are going on a hunt in NM in a few weeks. It's the one in September and we booked it through Ray. Supposed to be some biggys there.

I'll let you know how it works out.

-Steve

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Nick,

I have a large ranch in New Mexico that we can accommodate you. The Antelope are very good here and the price is reasonable. $1000 for the hunt which includes the privateland Antelope tag. The ranch is huge, 189 sq miles. (120,000+ acres).

This includes accommodations in the ranch house. It is not fancy, but it has a shower and a kitchen.

We will run all of the hunts on this ranch as semi-guided. There will be guys around to tell you where to go, and where the really good Antelope typically hang out.

Initially, I told guys to expect an Antelope of 13-15". This was after one of the guides drove part of the ranch to check out the quality. Well, we have been back in there again and see that we have underestimated the trophy potential of this ranch. Let's just say we have seen some super good bucks here.

The season is only 2 days long. We are not running any guided hunts here so there will be no competition with a guided hunter. There will be no hunters in before you so the Antelope will not be spooked or shot over already. There will be no bowhunters hunting before the rifle season. All of the private landowner tags will be hunted semi-guided. There will be plenty of support telling you where to go and help in finding the largest buck.

I anticipate very good results for this hunt.

You can not beat the price for the quality of Antelope you can expect to see on this ranch.

You say you want to stay a week? I might be able to arrange some fishing after the Antelop hunt, if you are interested.

Here is a little more info http://www.nookhill.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=003816#000000

[ 08-04-2003, 03:41: Message edited by: Wendell Reich ]

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi guys, Question about hunting antelope in NM, we would have to fly to make this happen as it would take like 2 days each way to drive from Ohio. Here's the question, I am very interested in bringing the meat back with me, how do I do that on an airplane?
Second question, is it too early to book for next year (2004)?
Third question, How could we possibly know the differnce between a 13 inch and a 15 inch antelope since we've never seen them?
Appreciate any help, as we're going into this pretty blind, but very, very willing!
Thanks Joe

Posts: 185 | Location: ohio | Registered: 13 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
Hey Joe,

Judging Antelope length is not too difficult. Judging an Antelope's score can be as difficult as judging a deer or Elk. Only a few inches make the difference between a high 70's and a book Antelope.

There was a thread on judging Antelope recently. http://www.nookhill.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=003857

Also, here is a link to some pictures on one of the ranches that I use for Antelope. http://www.nookhill.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=003930

The guesses here are pretty darn close ... best I can tell.

This will get you started.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Any packing house that processes wild game should know how to pack game for air transport. Your license and tag need to stay with the meat until you put it in your freezer. You can have not more than 5 lbs of dry ice (make that read "contains less than 5lbs of dry ice") in each meat container. Be sure the meat is well cooled or frozen before packing it with dry ice. If you can get the meat frozen hard, pack it in a cooler (fill any open space with dirty clothes)and seal it well. It will stay frozen for at least a couple of days. Then you don't have to worry about the haz mat decs. It won't hurt to placard the cooler "contains NO dry ice".

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Goosejoe, In New Mexico the Dept. of Game & Fish decide who permits are issued to and how many. Landowners submit a request to be given permits and then the Dept. will do a flyover and count the antelope. Based on this count landowners are or are not issued permits, so no one knows if or how many permits they will get until about the first part of June. So if you are not thoroughly confused by now, it is too early to book a hunt but it is not too early to speak for a permit if one is available to the landowner on whose place you want to hunt. This is it in a nutshell. If I havent explained it clearly enough just ask another question and maybe someone more articulate than me will help you out.

Posts: 72 | Location: House, NM | Registered: 03 March 2003Reply With Quote