Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Black bear advice needed
 Login/Join

posted
I�m going to Canada for my first bear hunt ever in about 3 weeks from now. What are your opinions on which ones to shoot and which ones to pass? I'll be hunting from a fellows place and his report is that a 200lb bear visits regularly, should I settle for this one or go hunting for a bigger one? I'll have about a weeks time available.
[Smile]

Posts: 35 | Location: Norway | Registered: 20 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
a120, sense you have never done it before the first bear you see will look like a monster to you. Here is a litle tip that I was given and it never went wrong with me. If you are hunting over bait barrels just look at the two rings on the barrel, they jkind of cut the barrel in thirds. If the bear does not come up to the top ring, two thirds up the barrel, standing on all four he is too small. Better yet when the bear comes in and sits down beside the barrel and bends his head down and looks inside the barrel then by all means shoot him. You will know if it is a sow the cubs will come in before she does, they don't have the sense to be wary. You can't shoot a sow with cubs so make sure there are no litle ones around first. Be sure not to make any movements while on the stand. The bears will usually make a full circle around the bait before going in to the bait. This will vary depending on the cover etc. I had one come up behind me one time, scared the bejusis out of me. You did not state if you are hunting with a gun or a bow. If you are close enough to be shooting with a bow you already know to be quiet and still. Good luck, let us know how you did.

Posts: 428 | Location: Michigan USA | Registered: 14 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
a120, I forgot. If there are no barrels there look for his ears. If they look very tiny and far apart he will be good to shoot.

Posts: 428 | Location: Michigan USA | Registered: 14 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Some sows won't allow cubs to the bait site until they're called in by the sow. You can usually watch a bear feed for some time and the cubs will usually show up quickly. You have time to look for cubs when hunting over bait. That's why hunting over bait kills less cubs than some other forms of bear hunting.

Having an object of known size near the bait to compare with the bear is a good idea. Some folks use a barrel, but we can't use unnatural things like plastic and paper for bait, so I usually cut a stick or log to six foot-long and compare the bear to that.

one of us
posted Hide Post
As Bog said the 6 foot stick is great,(Ken Nordbergs book).

Another thing would be how many days you have to hunt and how many bait site locations.

If you have the time and multiple sites but you take a bear less than 50 inches nose to tail (standing on the ground) on your first night and you never get to hunt another site or experience the thrill of leaveing your stand at dark with bears around you may regret it. How ever your first bear burger will go a long ways toward recovery! Hope you have the hair on the back of your neck stand up at least once!

Posts: 94 | Location: WI MI border | Registered: 25 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bog:
That's why hunting over bait kills less cubs than some other forms of bear hunting.

I should have said; "That's why .......kills less SOWS WITH CUBS than some other...."

DickPal,
Should I dare ask where you got your name? [Smile]

[Cool]

one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
Where in Canada are you hunting?

We don't bait in BC.

A 200lb bear is pretty small in my parts but it might be a good bear elsewhere.

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The other guys in thier efforts to be helpful have missed one very important bit of information. Remember"dance with the native lady and Shoot the Bear"!! derf [Wink]

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello;
Hell, if it's your first bear, any bear is a good bear, especially if you only have a week. 200 to 250 lbs. probably describes the average bear you will see. Besides, in Alberta at least, you can still shoot a second one in some places.
Grizz

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Go rent some bear hunting videos and look at some bears and learn to have an idea on how to judge a bears size.
Then judge for yourself.
That is the fun of it is making your own decision.
You paid the money and it is your experience so you will enjoy the experience much more if you get educated and make your own choices.
It can be difficult to judge the difference between a 200lb bear and a 300lb bear, and the color and quality of their coat is a consideration also.
A blonde 200lb bear may be a better trophy to you than a jet black 300lb bear.
Judge for yourself and have a great time.
You will find bear hunting is quite a different experience than deer hunting.

Posts: 162 | Location: Boise | Registered: 07 May 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks everybody

The "any first bear is a good one" is what I'll keep in mind. I will be hunting in Ontario, and reports now tells me a shiny black 270lb bear is visiting our terrain. Gives me something to dream of at least.... [Smile]

Posts: 35 | Location: Norway | Registered: 20 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
I'll second the "first bear is a good bear" I took a 265# black bear in Maine over bait last fall. I was/am estatic over him. He made a nice rug that squares just at six feet. The bait was in 55 gal barrels laying on their side. Our guide said that if the bear can walk in the barrel and turn around, don't shoot and if his back is over the top of the rim , SHOOT!!! Anything in between is your call. Good luck. Bear hunting is amazing. They are incredible animals.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote