THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Can anyone tell me about Triple Shocks.

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can anyone tell me about Triple Shocks.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted
I shoot a 300 WIN MAG it likes 150gr BT, 150gr MK, but not Nosler Partition. I have been thinking about trying Triple Shocks but don't know anything about them except for they are expensive. Considering the time it takes to work up a load and take off work to hunt I don't think the cost of the bullets are a big factor if they perform well. What kind of accuracy can I expect? The BT and MK will group three bullets in .650 or less at 100yrds off a rest measuring outside to outside. Also what weight do you like?

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Swede44Mag--I dont have a 300 mag--that's another post. But in more whimmpy .30 cals like the 30-06 and the .308,I like the 150's. I don't use premium bullets either. For that matter,I don't use premiums in the .243 either. On this board look at picture of my grandson with 10 pointer---that was with .243 using 100 grain bulk packed Winchesters. I know--.243 is too small and they just laugh at you and run off--this one and the several others overdid it and they all had heart attack from laughing so hard and died. Just takes one to tickle their funny bone.

Posts: 1289 | Location: San Angelo,Tx | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Triple shocks have been giving consistently excellent accuracy in many rifles. Seems to be one of the more reliable bullets out there now. Noticably different from the original X's

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Well, where do I begin. Have you read any of my posts and seen any of the pictures from all of my TSX kills?

It is currently my favorite hunting bullet. It is one of the most accurate bullets I've shot.

It has performed for me flawlessly. I'm sure by now everyone is getting sick of my ugly mug but all of the following dropped to the TSX, and here is one of the guns and it's target results:

The painted rifle you see is a 30.06. I was using 168 TSX over H4350 (55.0 grains). The smallest mulie was with a 270, 130 TSX over 57.0 Re19. The large mulie rack I'm holding also fell to the same load. It is the only deer that didn't drop immediately. That shot was 254 yards and he ran 10. However, the blood trail looked like someone slit his artery in his neck.

Also, just take a look at my signature line.

I don't have a picture of the 130 TSX groups but it was about .4 also at 100 yards with 4 shots. The largest group was 3/4" with 5 shots. This was all during barrel break in with a new Hart barrel too.

Even Barnes recommends I stick with the 168 grainer in my 300 RUM. I've been told there's no need for the 180, even on elk out to 400 yards.

I also have not posted all the varmits that I've killed with the TSX but I figured that was irrelevant.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Doc, were you in the pictures? All I noticed were some nice deer... ....

Swede, I believe that the general consensus on Triple Shocks is that they are up and away the most consistantly accurate Barnes Bullet. They have been for me:

These are 180gr TSX's out of a 300 WSM. They were the 2nd-4th rounds ever fired in this gun!

I also have a 270 that likes them pretty well too:

This group is a little larger than the first but remember that it is in a Featherweight Rifle (Sako Finnlite) and it's at 300 yds.......

I shot 1 deer with the Finnlite 270 load and TSX, It basically drilled an 1 1/2 inch hold laser straight through the deer. I was a little dissappointed I didn't get more of a blood trail but I missed major bones and the heart and lungs were probably bleeding down into the chest cavity instead of out.

I plan to keep on using the TSX's in guns that shoot them well. TSX's and Accubonds are becomming my goto bullets in a lot of guns.........DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
Some very good looking deer you have taken. Your signature is what got me interested in trying Triple Shocks and the crapy groups that I got with the Partitions. I have always thought Partitions would be the best bullets for deer. I am going to try the Triple Shocks. I think that maybe because the Partitions are flat base and the BT's are bevel base is why they work in my 300Win Mag while the Partitions do not. Are the Triple Shocks bevel base (boat tail)? Also it must be the twist in the rifling that my Remington has 1 in 14 I believe.

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 30cal 180's and 168's TSX's are boattails.....DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Painted Horse
posted Hide Post
I'm using the 168 TSX in my 300 WSM and the 140 TSX in my 270WSM. I've shot 3 elk todate with the 270WSM and none have moved after being hit. One at 214 yards, the other two were over 300 yards.

Accuracy has been in the .6 to .8. They don't foul nearly as bad as the older XBTs.

Posts: 232 | Location: Utah | Registered: 09 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I'm using the 168 TSX in my 300 WSM and the 140 TSX in my 270WSM. I've shot 3 elk todate with the 270WSM and none have moved after being hit. One at 214 yards, the other two were over 300 yards.

Accuracy has been in the .6 to .8. They don't foul nearly as bad as the older XBTs.

What load are you using in the 300WSM...I have the 168gr TSX buets on hand, just waiting for my rifle to come back from the gunsmith~!

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Doc, I like your 30-06! Nice looking rifle but the bolt is on the wrong side . Nice bucks too.

Posts: 69 | Location: Havelock, NC USA | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Yea, I'm in one of those unfortunate situations where I'm right HANDED but LEFT eye dominant. I even shoot my bow left handed.

The stock on that 30.06 is the factory wood stock but painted. It is pillar bedded.

Glad you like it. My 7 mag is almost identical but it has a Shilen barrel.

one of us
Picture of Perforator
posted Hide Post
Doc, I just ordered 500 XLC bullets from Midway (real cheap), and was wondering how they compared and if you had used them prior to the TSX. They are the 160gr 7mm.

Posts: 399 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Never used the XLC's. I keep getting emails from midway about their big sale too. I think I'll have to order some more bullets as they are from 2-5 dollars off per box.

The gunsmith I know in Oregon has used the XLC's with great success. I just do not care for coated bullets. I have never had a fouling issue with the TSX.

Good luck with the XLC's.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Swede:
Firstly, I don't have a .300 Mag so know nothing about loading for them. However, I've found the same problem in my .338 with Partitions - not quite as accurate. I might suggest that you look at the Northforks. I found them to be more accurate than the Partitions for the .338 and, as I recall they cost about the same.
In working up a load, I always try to use an inexpensive bullet in the weight I want to hunt with. I would suggest you find your accurate load with Sierras then go to the more expensive bullet & work from there. In my .338, I used the 225 gr. Hornaday but I always try sierras if they have a weight I want. Finally, I strongly advise you play with seating depth. Guess I'm anal about it but seating depth can make a lot of difference I've found and I generally seat bullets about 0.010" off the lands. Hope this helps some & good luck. Bear in Fairbanks

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of squeeze
posted Hide Post
Perf,

I have loaded XLC's in .25-06 Rem. and in 300 WSM, and
really struggled to find tight shooting loads. One
tip is to start .050" off the lands, and go in, and
out from there. I have since loaded TSX bullets, for
the same rifles, and they are SOOO much easier to find
loads that shoot sub MOA groups. I think I had one
load combination in each rifle that average less
than 1 MOA, but the groups would have averaged
much better, if there would not have been the occasional
flier that would make a .5", 4 shot group into a .95",
5 shot group. No such flier shots in my TSX groups.
Your rifle may like them better than either of mine
did. Now I only buy Barnes TSX, or Barnes XBT, bullets.

Squeeze

Posts: 201 | Location: Wis | Registered: 05 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Triple shocks have been giving consistently excellent accuracy in many rifles. Seems to be one of the more reliable bullets out there now. Noticably different from the original X's

Totally agree. My whole family changed over to TSX bullets this year. We took 14 bucks(Mule and Blacktail), 7 hogs and 2 Black Bear. All but one hog and one bear were one shot kills. Calibers ranged from .257 to .308. We used to be a Partition family but with these results we have changed. Lawdog

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I too have about a couple of hundred $ worth of bullets I'll never use because of how impressed I am with Triple Shocks.

I initially bought some 180gr TSX for an elk hunt: 180gr TSX, Lapua brass, Fed match 215s 74gr RL-22 chronod at 3000 fps (OK,OK 2980fps). This rifle will put three bullets within a 1/2in. Two shots 218 yards both went through and through with buckets of blood.

The same recipe I took to Colorado. This bull scored 369 5/8 I recovered one bullet on the far side beneath the hide. It looked just like in the pictures: a perfect "X", 180gr going in, 180gr recovered. 268 yard shot.

I then loaded 130gr TSX 270 win: 130gr TSX, Norma brass, Fed match, 56gr IMR 4831, 3004fps. This rifle shoots 1/4in groups. I shot a 152in 11 pointer (218# on the hoof 174# dressed) at 60 yards. This shot was head on, to the left of midline (heart shot or at least where I thought it should be). I recovered this bullet in the rear left ham when I butchered him the next week. 130gr on the brass, 130 gr recovered, picture perfect "X".

I've decided that's the bullet for me. In all honesty I've always thought that plain jane old Hornady Interloks just couldn't be beat, but Triple Shocks are indeed a better mouse trap. That's all I'll ever use from now on. Like I said I've got a bunch of unopened boxes that'll just gather dust..........

Posts: 24 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had excellent results with the TSX, both in the 85gr 6mm and the 140gr 7mm. There is no concern that these bullets are too "Hard" to expand on light skinned game. On the 4 or 5 animals that I have taken with these bullets, ALL displayed picture perfect wound canals. By that I mean, there was just the right amount of damage to take the animal cleanly, but not so much damage as to waste edible meat to any excess.I Have yet to recover even a fragment of bullet. If this bullet shoots in your rifle,which it will, it is the only bullet to use!!!

Posts: 248 | Location: Republic of Alberta | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
John Noveske: jnrifleworks.com

Grants Pass, Oregon.

Do you like it?