Notify
Tools

Help me say "no."
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of friarmeier
posted
Hello everyone!

A good friend who buys and sells a lot of guns picked up a Kimber Super America in 7mm-08.

While everything about his acquisition is completely legal and 100% on the up-and-up, he should go to jail for what he paid for it.

The gun is new, unfired, complete box & papers. No bases. The wood is very nice--nicer than most of the Super Americas I've seen photos of.

He'd give it to me for a grand. I should go to jail at that price, too. shame

What do you think?

I've got some life-transitions coming up, and cash will be tight. The wife might allow it (and she is the honey with the money!), and I will need at least two more centerfires for when the chitlins start hunting (only 10-15 years away!).

I have a .270 featherweight right now that I'll be holding on to.

My main question is this: How do you feel about a 7-08 for elk? The annual quarry would be deer, but I'm planning to take the kids elk hunting at least a couple of time (after which they can pay my way! coffee ).

Thanks so much,

friar

Our liberties we prize, and our rights we will maintain.

Posts: 1222 | Location: A place once called heaven | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
1. if you want it buy it and love it.
2. if they got the price asked and were happy to get it no matter what no crime was comitted.
3. all guilty feelings can be removed by sending me the low low price of 137.95 a stellar bargan for absolution.
4. 7-08 will work just fine for everything if you get close enough and place your shots well. It is hardly ever a question of rifle.

plese let me know if you would like to send a payment or for a pricelist on other absolutions.

you will of course recieve a recipt for tax purposes and a certificate suitable for fraiming.

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
friarmeier,
I've owned two wood stocked Kimber 8400's, one in 7wsm, the other in 300 wsm. They were standard classsis but the wood on the 7wsm was absolutely beautiful. Both shot under 1" at 100 yards and the fit and finish were excellent. I currently have a Kimber 84M Montana in 260 remington that I love. The super americas have upgraded wood and ebony or contrasting forend tip and beautiful bluing. If I recall correctly they used to be priced around $1,700, so a grand is an excellent price. As to the caliber, I love 7-08. I've never shot elk with this caliber but I've taken hogs turkey white-tail, axis, sika and blackbuck anteloupe with my Browning Micro Medallion in 7-08 and never had to shoot twice. A 140 grain accubond over 43 grains of w-748 is perfect for medium game.
I'd say go for it.
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i like nice blue and wood. however i have never been able to reconcile the disparity between an 84/ 8400 and a super america.
If you can get the super america for say $1200-$1300, fine. but i couldnt pay more than 25% more for a nice piece of wood and blueing.

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
.....you know you are going to get it. Once you have it, you will never look back. You can hand it down to the kids............

Enjoy!

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of friarmeier
posted Hide Post
quote:
plese let me know if you would like to send a payment or for a pricelist on other absolutions.

you will of course recieve a recipt for tax purposes and a certificate suitable for fraiming.

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

If the truth begets hatred, I'll be burned at the stake for passing on this one!

Now...how to launder enough cash before my friend decides to sell it?

Many thanks, everyone!

friar

Our liberties we prize, and our rights we will maintain.

Posts: 1222 | Location: A place once called heaven | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote