Find
Notify
Tools

Want the Sheep Grand Slam?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of graybird
posted
Here is your chance to acquire the SHEEP GRAND SLAM!!

Grand Slam

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
I would rather spring for the other 50-75K and actually hunt them myself!

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The one bighorn ram that cost me about $55 for the tag, a few hundred $ in diesel, $750 in taxidermy and 20 days of my life is worth more to me than anything I could buy. If I could spend $50k, I probably could also spend $100K, and I'd book me the other 3/4 of the slam right away.

Frans

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
The guy will be lucky to get $5000 for the lot. Trophies aren't worth jack unless they are very special. He's got a half decent stone, a reasonable dall and a couple runty bighorns.

A buddy of mine just went through the process of selling off a bunch of his trophies. Unless they rank way up in the book, its tough to get more than it cost to mount them in the first place. Despite the difficulty in actually getting a desert, even those trophies aren't worth a heck of a lot. And just because this "set" was shot by the same guy, doesn't mean anything unless he's Jack O'Connor or someone else pretty famous.

Nice rams, but rediculous price.

Cheers,
Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cwilson
posted Hide Post
I do not understand why anyone would want trophies in their house/den/trophy room that were harvested by someone else. (unless it was another family member or someone whose mounts would have signicicant sentimental value)

Each time guest would come to the house, you would need to explain which trophies were yours and which were taken by someone else.

Besides, if I had 50 g's to blow I would surely make the time to harvest at least one of them myself. But, as with most everything- to each his own. Obviously people are free to spend their money as they wish. I noticed, however, that there were no bids on the mounts when I checked.

cwilson

A well requlated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed - 2nd Amendment U.S. Constitution

Posts: 715 | Location: Boswell, PA, USA | Registered: 20 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted Hide Post
quote:
do not understand why anyone would want trophies in their house/den/trophy room that were harvested by someone else.

Simple, it's respect for the animal by someone who truly appreciates it.

One of the saddest things I ever watched was a woman taking antlers to the dump after her grandfather died. I intervened and took them, giving them to people who really appreciated them and kept one big four pointer. Grandpa was probably real proud of that one, I have no idea who he was but I have no doubt he'd be happy to know that his buck was appreciated. Anyone that asks about that rack hears that story too.

One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
That auction has been up for quite a while now. No way someone is going to bid.

I also find it sad when a hunter dies and the kids/inheritors just punt the trophies. You did a good deed.

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of talentrec
posted Hide Post
That's why I have specific instructions about what is to be done with my trophies, dog and rifles in my will.

Posts: 809 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cwilson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skinner.:
quote:
do not understand why anyone would want trophies in their house/den/trophy room that were harvested by someone else.

Simple, it's respect for the animal by someone who truly appreciates it.

One of the saddest things I ever watched was a woman taking antlers to the dump after her grandfather died. I intervened and took them, giving them to people who really appreciated them and kept one big four pointer. Grandpa was probably real proud of that one, I have no idea who he was but I have no doubt he'd be happy to know that his buck was appreciated. Anyone that asks about that rack hears that story too.

Skinner:

You make a good point. I guess I was thinking that the person would be representing the trophies as being harvested by them, when they were actually purchased. I guess I can understand having a mount just because it is a nice mount, or an animal which is admired.

I believe that most of the value of a mounted head is held by those who took the animal or were somehow involved in the hunt.

cwilson

A well requlated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed - 2nd Amendment U.S. Constitution

Posts: 715 | Location: Boswell, PA, USA | Registered: 20 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by talentrec:
That's why I have specific instructions about what is to be done with my trophies, dog and rifles in my will.

If I am not mistaken, a will can pass ownership of property, but cannot force the new owner to do what you want them to do with the property. You would need some sort of trust to control what happens with the property after your death.

One of Us
Picture of Exit31
posted Hide Post
I have wall full of trophies I did not hunt. I just like to look at them. However, if I had 50 000 to spend on mounts I would harvest them myself.

Why shall there not be patient confidence in the ultimate justice of the people? Is there any better or equal hope in the world? Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 599 | Location: Canada, NS | Registered: 19 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of talentrec
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:
quote:
Originally posted by talentrec:

If I am not mistaken, a will can pass ownership of property, but cannot force the new owner to do what you want them to do with the property. You would need some sort of trust to control what happens with the property after your death.

True, but you can control who it goes to, versus having it just going into the miscellaneous pile of things to be split up by your inheritors.

Posts: 809 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote