New
Find
Notify
Tools

Encouraging youngsters to hunt
 Login/Join

<phurley>
posted
In my opinion we need to cultivate our youngsters to maintain hunting as we know it in the future. I am taking my 14 year old grandson Elk hunting this year in Colorado. Due to the encouragement of the ranch owner our group pays a trespass fee to, plus Colorado's reduced fee's for junior hunters, it is easier to start them younger. I didn't take my son until he was 18, at 33 he is now a seasoned hunter with a 21/2 year old son he will take someday. Colorado charges only a $100.00 fee for tags for the junior hunters, the ranch owner stating he will provide a free hunt for the junior hunters that remain in school and earn a college degree. He is thereby encouraging education and hunting. Our group is taking 4 youngsters this year, one a seasoned hunter with 5 Elk under his belt at 16, the others newcomers. ------ My grandson has hunted for three years, taking Deer with a 30-30 (my original hunting rifle), then graduating to a .257 Wby, then a 7mm STW. He is pushing me to shoot something bigger. Last week I thought I would teach him a lesson and let recoil tame him, so I let him shoot one of my .340 Wby's. Danged if he didn't shoot a one inch group, then wanted to shoot my .416 Rem. He shot a two inch group with it and said, "boy I like that power". He is a growing 6 footer aspiring to be the next best football player in the world, so he knows what a jolt is. I have 5 grandson's and I gaurantee one thing, if they want to hunt, they will be taught the right way, and taught respect for the shotgun or rifle and what weapons can do if used properly. And also taught the consequences if used improperly, as well as respect for their fellow hunters and the game they hunt. I can even hope for a grandaughter someday. [Wink] Good shooting.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I haven't had the opportunity to teach any youngsters but I have started six new hunters into the sport in the last few years.All have been successful and are now solidly hooked on hunting.With a few exceptions,I get just as much or more satisfaction when one of these new hunters gets an animal than I do when I get one.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A good thread. [Smile]

I was just thinking about this last night: If EVERY hunter could give a spark for hunting or gunsports to ONE kid, we all might be better off in the future.

Taking some schoolkids to a trap range this week with their teacher and an instructor over there. Little things like that.The teacher is my hunting mate. [Cool]

Posts: 81 | Location: Finland | Registered: 10 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Personally, I think it is the kids that get discouraged by hanging out with adults that are holding out for the "big one".

My kids don't care about the big one. They just want to go out and shoot some rabbits and maybe some birds, if they are thick that year. Nothing bores them more than days in the field without action. Can't say I blame them, rabbit hunting is fun! Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
<phurley>
posted
Dutch -- I am trying to avoid the very thing you mentioned. I have hunted with my grandson for years for small game, waterfowl, etc. I emphasize all of nature, teaching him to enjoy just being there, whether anything is killed or not. We sent in for cow tags and I am encouraging him to take a cow as soon as possible then hunting the Bull, all the while schooling him on "fair chase". If we come home without game, the trip will be a success. A ten day hunt with my son and grandson, is worth it's weight in gold to me. Getting the big one will be icing on the cake, if accomplished. [Wink] Good shooting.

one of us
posted Hide Post
For the past 4 or 5 years, i've taken kids to Wyoming to hunt antelope does. Nonresident youth tags are cheap, and in some areas several can be purchased. We've experienced a 100% success rate, and the kids just love the spot and stalk style that i encourage (actually demand). I want them to have to earn their reward. They also learn respectful landowner/hunter relationships, and good, safe shooting technique. Antelope hunting is a good way to get them started as it's easy to keep them motivated when they see hundreds of game animals/day.

Posts: 926 | Location: pueblo.co | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JAG
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the thread. It needs to be talked about often as this is the only REAL tool we have to keep our sports alive. We can send money to the NRA, we can vote the right people into office but without a new generation interested in it, it will surely suffer.

One of the big problems today with youth hunters is patience. Most have none. In a time of fast food, payperview, drive-up EVERYTHING, things like fishing, hunting and such are doomed. We have to slow them down. We have to show them that some things are not ment to be rushed. We have to show them that the rewards in the end far outweigh any drive-up result. WE HAVE to get our young ones involved.

I have three daughters and each has their own reasons for enjoying the outdoors. But they all respect it. They all take turns going into the field with me, and on occasion they all get to go...3 girls can be a handfull to keep silent! But the love it. Always asking when we are going next, and then counting the days even hours(night before) until its time. They are the only ones that can continue our family tradition of the the outdoors. This is an investment in their future.

In my lifetime, which is not that long, I have seen the ablity to roam the woods unsupervised @ 8, with my own .22, turn into somthing unspeakable in most circles. In fact, I would venture to say that if I gave my 11 year old daughter (who is by far more responable then some adults) her .22 and told here she could go shooting in the woods around our home for the day, I would likley be charged with child endangerment or somthing along those lines! That is VERY sad.

The times are changing as we all can see so I ask everyone here to do whatever then can to get our youth involved in hunting and the outdoors. No snowboards, and mountain bikes, but hunting, fishing and shooting sports.

Without them, we ALL lose.

Sincerely,
JAG
Hood RIver, OR

Posts: 510 | Location: Hood River, OR | Registered: 08 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JLHeard
posted Hide Post
I forget which magazine I read it in, but one said that the reason most kids don't keep hunting is the fact that they don't shoot one in the first 4 or 5 years of hunting. The mag recomended going for does or cows, just so the kid gets a taste of a sucessful hunt. Then you can try for a B&C.

Posts: 580 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Phurley,

That's really great news. I'm sure you guys will do well. I've got 4-5 adults started hunting over the last couple of years but this year I've got my 16 yr old cousin started with elk. He's taken deer before but this will be his first elk trip. He's very excited and so am I. I think it's very very important to get kids interested early. Great post and can't wait to see the results.

Posts: 156 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 18 June 2002Reply With Quote
<phurley>
posted
Jag -- I also have two daughters as well as the son. They enjoyed the outdoors with me all through their growing up years. Now their sons are following their footsteps. We backpacked and climbed mountains. My oldest daughter, the mother of the grandson I am taking hunting this fall has three sons. She and my youngest daughter acccompanyed me on many trips to the outdoors. Both daughters and I did the Grand Tetons one year, going up the gondola then backpackintg down for several days, an ablolutely wonderful trip. My wife encouraged all the trips, sometimes staying in a motel, but not liking the camping part of it. My youngest daughter is trying to climb all the high points of all the states, as well as the fourteeners in Colorado, I am trying to keep up with her when I can. We have used these trips for scouting expeditions for Elk hunts in the past. My point being that daughters are also great buddies in the outdoors. I am sure Saeed will enjoy many good days with Tessa someday. The strength of millions of younsters loving the outdoors will do wonders for the future of our heritage. [Wink] Good shooting.

one of us
posted Hide Post
This is an issue very dear to me. I have 3 sons 18,12 and 11 years old. They all are active hunters (along with Mom also [Big Grin] ). I don't teach them to hold out for the big one unless it is their decision. [Wink] Last fall I experienced my best moment in the woods and here is the result of it.
 -

This was my 12 years old first deer. He experienced a complete miss about a month before he got this one.

Posts: 77 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JAG
posted Hide Post
Phurley, Great picture!

Nutcase,
I agree. All of my girls are a blast to take out in the field. Funny you would metion climbing, I started top roping my girls three years ago at the local rock. Something we dont do enough of but great fun. Builds confidence like nothing else. One shining moment I will always remember was last year when my 9 year old(middle daughter), was climbing up this crack that was about 1 1/2 - 2" wide. She was maybe 30-35 feet off the deck and she jambed her hand in the crack up to her elbow, let go with her other hand, and pull one foot off, turning like a hinged door, just to tell me she was going to take a breather right there. One hand and one foot, calm and casual as could be. I just stared and gave a babbling "uuh huh.. ok. uhhh alright." I was so proud to see her so confident.

I know that our children will carry the torch as we all have.

JAG

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Passing on the sport is great and a worthy gesture, I took my 8 year old out yesterday and while I was chronographing he took a stroll through the sagebrush with his pellet gun, he left with one bullet and was gone for an hour. [Big Grin]

I cant imagine though why anyone should need to be encouraged to hunt. I have always loved it, even on the slow days. [Wink]

Posts: 10159 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have posted before about my grandkids(7 all girls). I started the oldest, Amber (15 this past April) when she was about 4 shooting my S/W657 with wax bullet squib loads. She now has her own 657 and has killed deer every year since she was 7. Last season she went on her own (on my farm) and killed 3 does and a 150+ BC 10 point. My next oldest(Amelia at 6) has just started with the wax bullets in my Taurus 425 Tracker and loves it. Just this past weekend the next oldest after Amelia who is Morgan at just 3 wanted to shoot with poppa(me). I was shooting some 22lr guns (Contender and a Ruger Single Six). Morgan sat at the bench with ear plugs and watched until she couldn't stand it any more , wanted to know when it was her turn. Loaded up with some CB Caps and let her shoot a cylinder full through the Ruger. She wanted to know what she had hit. Wasn't very impressd by the holes in the backer so I got some BIG ballons the kind you can blow up to about 18 inches across. You should have seen her face when that first BIG old red ballon popped. She (her mom) has called every day since last Tuesday to remind me that we have a "date" to shoot some ballons on Saturday. I have been very blessd with the good fortune of a family who loves the outdoors. My children all hunt and if I have a say in it all my grandchildren will also. Even though I don't give access to my farm to anyone anymore I do make it a pratice to invite a few young people to hunt every year. It starts with the by invitation only dove season opener and carries on into the deer season with Amber bringing classmates to hunt. I have had the dove shoot every year since 1983. I have young familes that shoot this that started as 10 year old on their first hunt. They come now with their kids. some of these fathers and mothers met on shoots here at my farm. I AM NEVER TO BUSY TO TAKE THE TIME OR MAKE THE EFFORT TO GET A YOUNG PERSON EXPOSED TO THE SHOOTING SPORTS. as holds true for a new shooting adult.

Posts: 218 | Location: Sand Hills of NC | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know you guys are sick of seeing these pictures but I LOVE to show them. My daughter Kasi wanted to get trophy animals right from the start. She said she would rather not shoot than to shoot a doe or a cow. She may never be able to out do these great animals. She got both of them on opening day for each hunt. She shot only one shot at each animal, but she shoots hundreds of rounds per year with her 270. She just had a assignment in school to list the top three experiences in her life. Neither one of these made it. I was bummed about that. My other two kids want bigger ones than Kasi's. Ron
 -
 -

Posts: 985 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Big Stick>
posted
My oldest is 10 and has 6 Bucks and 2 Bears under his belt. All he knows is the Outdoors and Hunting/Fishing. Only his last Bear has made the B&C All Time Book,though I'll do my best to call him in a B&C Buck this fall.

-

His 6yr old sister is THE Fisherman in the family,as it is all she wants to do,be it bottom fishing,trolling our pounding the creeks.

She has the genuine enthusiasm and it is always obvious. Sis' does a nice job of manipulating a 4500-C3 and Drift Fishing. She'll only get better.
 -
 -

Baby boy is 2 and will get his first taste of reeling fish in,this late Summer but he's been on numerous journeys already,despite his low mileage.

-

Kids you gotta love 'em........................

one of us
posted Hide Post
For the first time this year the state of Montana is giving away for free a Deer and Elk Combo Hunting license for any resident Montanan age 12, 13 or 14 who has never bought a Dee or Elk license! This is a very generous and commendable exercise in my mind to prompt our youth to get off the computer games and get them out in the wild! I hope it works out!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
VArmintguy, that's great. Idaho has done two great things in that respect: we can now take our 10 year olds with us on small game hunts, and there is a youth season on deer. Youths (14 and under?) are allowed to take a doe during the regular season.

I think that is one of the best things we can do. While I am the first one to stress the outdoor experience, to a 10 year old walking the fields without getting a crack at an animal is not fun.

These programs increase "success" for the young ones, and get them hooked before the Nintendo culture sucks them in completely. Once they are hooked, it's our job as mentors to round out their ethics and experiences, and allow them to grow into true outdoorsmen/women. JMO, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
VarmintGuy,
You end your post with "I hope it works out."
I would be willing to bet that within 5 miles of where you are there are 2 kids, that know about the program, who don't have any adult to hunt with. I'll also bet that there is someone who knows these kids and would jump hoops to hook you up with them. Please do not look at this as a slam just a friendly reminder that there are kids out there who will never get the chance to "make it work" unless we all do our parts to help. We all need to remember that there are many young people who would love to be in that empty seat next to you all we need do is ask. [Smile]

Posts: 218 | Location: Sand Hills of NC | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Big Stick! WOW, MAN THAT IS A BIG BEAR!!!!
Tell him congrats!
Ron

Posts: 985 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Big Stick,

Everytime I see that photo of your son and the bear I sort of laugh and swallow - it's just so much the essence of perfection in boyhood!

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Since we are posting pictures I have to post this one of my stepson. I introduced him to hunting big game last year. Granted it is only a doe, but it is certainly something to be proud of for a 12 year old and he is now hooked and ready to take a trip to Alaska with me this fall.

-

Doug

[ 05-23-2003, 16:16: Message edited by: dwhunter ]

Posts: 696 | Location: Texas, Wash, DC | Registered: 24 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PHurley,

Excellent post! I don't have children, but teaching my wife to shoot and hunt has been very rewarding.

Soon, I hope, we'll have some little guys who can enjoy hunting along with us. [Smile]

Posts: 2717 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
<phurley>
posted
mehulkamdar -- I have one grandson that could care less about hunting, he is a very good golfer, playing on his high school team as a freshman and doing quite well. He does not hunt and has no interest in hunting. He hikes with me and enjoys the outdoors. He is an excellent shot, shooting a .5 inch group the very first time he shot a rifle, my 7mm STW. He enjoys shooting, the same things that make him a good golfer, enhances his shooting, eye hand cordination. His competitive spirit spurs him to want shoot as well as his hunting brother, making both better shooters. I hope you and your wife have many children, that will enjoy your interests. My point being, you can always find something they like and help them improve their skills, whatever it is. [Wink] Good shooting.

one of us
Picture of JAG
posted Hide Post
What a great last few days. My 9 year old daughter started to ask questions about shooting in 4-h and on to the Olympics. So we have spent the last few evenings on the web researching youth shooting programs and such. Today I spoke with a member of the local club and he offered to take us to the monday night indoor smallbore shoot. My daughter is soooo excited as am I! I was warned of a coulpe things; there are very few kids shooting on monday nights, which I hope to change, and to be prepared to have my daughter adopted by all of the other members. From my above posts you can see that I am BIG into getting children into hunting and the shooting sports. I am really proud as this was a choice she made on her own.
I will keep you all posted!!!!

JAG

<phurley>
posted
JAG -- Those daughters are extra special. After many years of outdoor activities my youngest decided to go to work for an airline. This after a degree in another field and a couple years "looking for herself". Now we can travel to those places to climb and hike for nothing. It kind of comes in handy on some of my hunting trips, like the year I flipped a 4-wheeler in Colorado Elk hunting and dislocated a shoulder. She met me with a free ticket and accompanied me home, with a lot of good natured ribbing about getting old and sinile, and accident prone. [Wink] Good shooting.

one of us
posted Hide Post
my 8 year olds first shot at a deer.with my first rifle.1974 Rem 700BDL 25-06,117 Hornady BTSP at 145 yards.  -

Posts: 286 | Location: Gladdice,Tn | Registered: 17 January 2003Reply With Quote