Find
Notify
Tools

do guides gut your elk for you?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted
I have never been on a guided hunt and don't know who does what. If I kill an elk on a guided hunt
where I am paying thousands of dollars, should I expect the guide and crew to gut out the elk or should
I just expect to do it myself like I have done for 40 years?

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

one of us
posted Hide Post
yes they do--they should also skin it if you want and quarter it--the quartering may have to be done anyway to get it out of the area you shot it in--some may even cape it also, but I'd make sure they know what they're doing before I opted for that--you should ask your outfitter what they provide----chris

Posts: 304 | Location: San Francisco, CA, USA | Registered: 14 September 2002Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
I gut, skin, and pack-out my own elk, mostly because I usually outfit my own elk hunts. But on guided North American hunts, I ALWAYS offer to pitch-in and help with the cutting, gutting and such. I invariably have my own sharp knife at hand, and I leave it to the disgression of the guide as to what work he wants me to do. Many guides are extremely proud and prefer to do their own work in this department, but on big animals like elk an extra set of hands and some extra muscle is always welcome.

AD

One of Us
Picture of Chet
posted Hide Post
It may be the guides job to gut and cape the animal, but you should at least offer to help. I once had a guide/outfitter in Wyoming tell me about the previous client who shot a bull elk, then proceeded to walk about 20 yards away and sit on a log while the guide gutted, caped and quartered the elk alone. Needless to say, the outfitter was rather unimpressed with the client and said he didn't care to have him back again.

Chet

Posts: 290 | Location: Northern Rockies | Registered: 24 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If it's included in the price, then the outfitter should do it. That doesn't mean you can't offer to help. I would call and ask how the outfitter handles the chore, especially if you're doing a 2x1 hunt. On a recent hunt in B.C., the outfitter considered the packing/gutting chores as "1/2" day for the lucky hunter. The other hunter had to wait until the chore was done until he started hunting again to get to his "1/2" day. I thought that was a pretty crappy deal considering you are paying for a X day hunt, not a X/2 day hunt. This was for a moose hunt and I was after deer/bear, so wasn't affected. Not sure if this is a general practice or not, but it's the first I've heard of it.

-Lou

Posts: 333 | Location: Dallas, TX, USA | Registered: 15 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted Hide Post
When guiding bear I expect to do the guttn' while the hunter goes over the story of what he was thinking when he shot it. About the only help I ask for would be to hold the light if it was shot close to dark. An elk I would think is a different story though.

---------------------------------

It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it

Posts: 741 | Location: NB Canada | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Several years ago, I was hunting elk with an outfitter out of Durango, Colo. We were high up in the Weminuche Wilderness, and the snow had been intermitent, but it was very cold.

By the time I shot a bull elk about 1:00 PM, it had started snowing again, the wind was blowing, and it was getting colder and colder. When we got to the elk, I took a few pictures, and then the guide got busy with his knife.

I asked him, "Can I help?"

He said, "Damn right! Build us a fire!!"

That sounded like a very good plan to me so I did while the guide gutted the elk. That fire came in very handy that freezing day. We roasted some elk ribs over it, too, which tasted as good as any meal I've had out in the woods.

FWIW.

L.W.

"A 9mm bullet may expand but a .45 bullet sure ain't gonna shrink."

Posts: 349 | Location: S.W. Idaho | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ELKMAN2
posted Hide Post
I too have never been on a guided elk hunt but, I would not let the guide do it even if it was part of the fee plan. It is my animal and I take pride in doing it my self. He could for sure pack most of it out though, I'm not too proud to let someone help in that area! P

Posts: 1072 | Location: Pine Haven, Wyo | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
why gut? Quarter and back straps, you don't even have to open the belly. Most guides worth their salt will do whatever you want.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've been on 3 "guided" elk hunts (going on another this Nov), and took an elk each time. In all cases the guide gutted the animal. I held the legs, etc. to make his job a bit easier. I use the same guide every year, and he sees gutting the animal as just a part of the service he provides. He also gets a handsome tip!

Posts: 678 | Location: lived all over | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kudu56:
why gut? Quarter and back straps, you don't even have to open the belly. Most guides worth their salt will do whatever you want.

I personally find it difficult to get the tenderloins and rib meat without gutting. Gutting only takes a couple minutes and makes the carcass easier to move.

Besides I like to leave the guts out for the birds to eat cause there won't be a single scrap of meat left for the birds when I am done cutting. Big Grin Big Grin

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted Hide Post
I will never gut another elk again after using the "gutless method" !! This past Sept, we had my 6x6 stripped and the meat hanging in a cedar to cool in 45 minutes from the time I shot it with the bow. It was about 35 degrees out and we had it back to the truck and into the meat locker in another hour. The meat was cold when we got there. I don't mess with the rib meat, but we did take the neck meat. This was by far the best tasting elk I ever ate I think because it cooled so fast. No chance of contaminating the meat with internal fluids or gastric juices. Believe me, I've seen messes made gutting elk. My first elk was so large(guide said biggest bodied elk he ever saw) that it took 3 of us to roll the stomach out, and then it broke while we were doing it. That meat tasted like dog crap1! Nope, I'll do it gutless from now on.

Elite Archery and High Country dealer.

Posts: 931 | Location: Somewhere....... | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
In Alaska by law we have to take the meat of the ribs.

I got 40 pounds of burger off my last ribcage. Big Grin

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Old Elk Hunter,

Get your guide a custom knife or some high end bino's and slide in some good old US money in a hand shake. Then just sit back, put your feet up and everything will happen. Wink

Daryl

Posts: 536 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Being on the "guide" end of things.... I do what ever the hunter wants.. however, I prefer the "gutless" method if it is close to dark... However, given time I enjoy the tenderloins back at camp as much as anyone... however, I don't respect the hunter who is "too good" to at least "help" in field dressing his own harvest... to me he then becomes a shooter... I would then have to carefully consider accepting him again as his guide.

I have read dozens of books by hero's and crooks and have learned much from both of their styles!

Posts: 104 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 18 February 2005Reply With Quote