New
Find
Notify
Tools

Off-Color Black Bear Hunt ?????
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Looking for a good quality hunt with the best chance to shoot a good size off-color black bear. I have a couple of really big ones that are all black but really like the looks of the blonde ones.

Can anyone suggest a good outfitter who hunts in an area with big off-color bear?

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The outfitter I used in 1990 and 1991 is now dead. However I have hunted this same general area 10 or so other times on my own. This area has a very high concentration of color phase black bears. Look at a map of Montana. The area above Troy, Libby, and east to Glacier National Park is a good one. Spot and stalk, no bait.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A good friend of mine, Todd Lowewen, runs an operation out of Valley View, Alberta with lots of color phase bears. His number is 780 524 4574.

Mike

Posts: 1860 | Location: Prairieville,Louisiana, USA | Registered: 09 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Which color ? They come in black, brown, reddish brown [cinnamon bear]and a small [and protected ?] number of white and blue bears found in Alaska.Maybe others ?

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Bill,

I just had a great hunt in Idaho and saw 50% color bears. I ended up taking a black bear with a very large chest patch but saw chocolates and a blonde/black mix. My guide ran into a big chocolate after dropping me off one afternoon. Unfortunately that bear did not come into my set up.

Posts: 19240 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote