New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nebraska turkey hunt.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am sitting in a hotel room in Spencer, Nebraska after completing a fantastic turkey hunt. We went with Outdoor Adreneline. this is my first trip with them. However, I did know one of the guides previously.

To summarize the hunt:

1-The weather sucks. It sucks every single time I go to Nebraska.

2- There are a ton of turkeys in this area.

3-I killed 3 including 2 this morning.

4- My friend who is with me is is an absolute expert on turkey hunting and a fantastic caller. He killed 2 yesterday morning.

I would definitely recommend the hunt .

Some other thoughts :

1- Hevi-shot while expensive is the way to go.

2- the little folding chairs that keep one just off the grond is a must.

3- I bought and insanely expensive cushion back in deer season at Gander Mountain.
$90 I think. It is worth every penny.

My birds were quite entertaining . We definitely out foxed them.

I will post pictures later.

Posts: 12105 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 12105 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice turkle birds there Larry, but it looks a little blustery out there!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice pictures.
Am surprised there isn't any snow around too.
Denver area caught it hard over the weekend again.

Whole lotta feathers on birds that size.
Congrats on a great hunt and thanks for sharing
with us.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6028 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cooperjd
posted Hide Post
nice birds! I'm 20 miles south of denver, so i didnt' get to get out this weekend. last weekend we got my friend who was visiting his first merriams. i've been with him on 2 turkey kills now, and i still have yet to ever shoot a dang turkey. my nemesis!

they must have tons of birds down there for y'all to get multiple birds each.

Posts: 784 | Location: Mt Pleasant, SC | Registered: 19 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
there are an awful lot of turkeys in this area.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like a nice hunt Larry, we have had some bad weather out west last weekend also. Supposed to get better towards the end of the week, might try and kill a couple Merriam's later in the week. I have never killed a turkey, but I have a friend from eastern NE that hunts them every year and wants a Merriam.

Posts: 1019 | Location: Imperial, NE | Registered: 05 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The weather was awful Gale. This is my 3rd trip to Nebraska. Weather has been tough each time.

We were lucky though. Had a great hunt and a great time.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Totally fun huntin', right there!
Well done Larry.

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I grew up not far from Spencer over in the northeast by Pender, NE. If that is where you have been going, the weather always sucks up there, rainy, cloudy, cold, during hunting seasons and not much sunshine in general it seems. Our weather in southwest NE is much nicer, people think it is the end of the world if we get two or three days of clouds down here.

Posts: 1019 | Location: Imperial, NE | Registered: 05 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gale:

On my first trip for spring gobbler, it was bitter cold with everything covered in snow and ice. Pretty tough on a FL cracker like me . First time I ever killed a turkey in the snow.

The second trip was 2014. We had rain, sleet, hail , snow, tornado warnings and 60 MPH winds. We left half way through the hunt . Had we not left, we would have been stranded. Literally, it was a struggle to drive public roads.

.This year it was just a little rain and wind. Mid 30's at worst. While not the most pleasant weather, I will take it over the previous trips, especially 2014.

I can't wait to go back.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
don't worry Larry, I froze my ass off when I went Crappie fishing on Toho last February, then it rained for a couple days, so a Nebraskan can be cold in Florida also

One of Us
posted Hide Post
February can be cold.

One of Us
Picture of Thunder Head
posted Hide Post
Congrats Larry,
I am going to head out for a Merriam's and Osceola in the next couple of years. Based on your experience's I might wait until later in the season.

I have walked in the foot prints of the elephant, listened to lion roar and met the buffalo on his turf. I shall never be the same.

Posts: 813 | Location: In the shadow of Currahee | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This was my 3rd trip that time of the year. The weather has been bad each time.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks like a blast Larry. Nice gobblers.

Posts: 2717 | Location: NH | Registered: 03 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great birds Larry. I hunted last year in western Nebraska and had a blast. Almost froze though.

Congratulations.

Don

Trust only those who stand to lose as much as you do when things go wrong.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey I live about 40 miles from there. Shooting turkeys is about as hard as shooting rabbits other places. It has become really good in the past ten years. If I can make a recommendation next year wait till may, the weather will be much nicer and the toms wont be so hened up and will be looking harder. Once again I am glad to see you had a successful hunt in Nebraska and my neck of the woods!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
May is a really tough time for me work wise.

There are a hell of a lot of turkeys that is certain.

Thanks gentlemen.