New
Find
Notify
Tools

338 Win and 22-inch barrel
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
How much performance loss can be expected from a 22 vs 24 inch barrel in a 338 Win? I have a M700 magnum action that needs a new barrel and I was thinking of having a 22 inch barrel put on...I have a 308 with a 22 inch barrel and really like the feel of it. Would faster powders help?

Thanks
Jeff

Posts: 178 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 07 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, based on conventional thinking or wisdom, you could expect to loose 30-50 feet per second for each inch of barrel you cut off.

However, it sometimes just does not work that way.
Rick Jamison once did a great article on shortening the barrel on a 375 H&H and not hardly loosing any velocity.

It depends a lot on the bore diameter versus the case capacity. On a 300 Weatherby or Ultra Mag, I would expect to loose a lot, on a .338 Win Mag, maybe not.

I CAN tell you that I owned a Ruger Number One chambered in .338 Win Mag, it had a 26 inch barrel. When Remington came out with the 700 Classic chambered for .338 Win Mag, I had to have one. It has a 24 inch barrel and I was wondering how much velocity I would loose. The chronograph told me I did not loose any. The velocities between those two guns was vitually identical with the loads I tested.

In regard to using faster burning powders, check out some of the articles in the old Speer manuals.
They concluded that the best powders in any given cartridge remained the best powders regardless of the barrel length used.

Having said all this, if you like a 22 inch barrel on your hunting rifles, go for it. It is not likely you will ever tell the difference in the loss of velocity, but you seem to like the handier shorter barrel quite a bit.

R F

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A while back I cut 3 inches (26 to 23) on a 257 Wby- I had a total loss of 90 fps.

So I'd be for figuring about 30 fps per inch, or in your case a total of 60 fps big deal!

I have cut most all of my magnums over the years to either 25" or to 23". I've had a number of 340's at both lengths and for the life of me cannot tell the difference.

So if it floats your boat get it cut.

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dog

also I have a good buddy of mine a elk hunter for sure that cuts all his 338's to 22". Now if I could only get him to cut em to 23" then he would kill soome even bigger bulls-grins.

[ 07-13-2002, 00:53: Message edited by: Mark R Dobrenski ]

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JAB,
I'll point out that you are comparing apples to oranges here.
I assume that the .308 is a short action with a 22 inch barrel.
The action on the .338 will be longer to begin with and if your goal is to have the same overall length as the .308, you might be looking at an 18 inch barrel.
That would result in a drastic decrease in velocity.
That aside, as others have said, going from 24 to 22 isn't that much of a decrease. Changing powders can help a little or you can move to a lighter weight premium bullet to compensate.

Posts: 694 | Location: Des Moines, Iowa, USA | Registered: 09 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mark R Dobrenski:
also I have a good buddy of mine a elk hunter for sure that cuts all his 338's to 22". Now if I could only get him to cut em to 23" then he would kill soome even bigger bulls-grins.

I'm the "resident-22" bbl'd 338-guy" my good friend Mark refers to... Mark likes his bbl's cut at "odd" lengths cause they reflect his personality... I like mine cut "even" cause it reflects mine... just ask my wife (yeah sure!) LOL!

Mark, I left you some notes on the Swaro thread about the gunshow and calling yotes... give me a jingle if you're back!

JAB, since a typical Long Action is only 5/8" longer than a Short Action of the same make, it's really more of an "apples, apples" thing than one might think. I think pairing a 308 Win (one of my favorite cartridges) with a 338 WM (one of my other favorite cartridges) is a very sound idea indeed! Both these rounds are "hunter's" cartridges... nothing flashy, just solid workhorses!

I've used the 338 WM for ten years and am on my fourth (and last... if this one doesn't shoot it's off to PacNor for a bbl. job... 22" 338 WM of course!). I've had three of those four cut to 22". One, a Ruger with open-sights, I left a 24". With one rifle only did I handload before and after the cut. That was a Rem 700 which went from 24" to 22"... amazingly, as I recall, I lost a total of around 30 fps max. I haven't loaded for or even shot my current M70 stainless yet, even though I had the barrel whacked the next day after buying it. My previous M70 did right at 2,850 fps with 225's from the 22"bbl. Honestly, I can't think of needing more than that. Muzzle blast isn't bad at all.

When I first went to 22" about seven years ago, I'd never heard of anyone doing it. After scrutinizing the case-capacity/bore volume, I judged it would work about the same as a 30-06 with a 22" bbl... the 338 WM is certainly not an "overbore" magnum. I think I've proven to myself this is the case. Subsequently I found various gunwriters that went the 338WM/22" route too... Finn Aagaard, Bob Bell, John Barsness and David Petzal to name four... turns out I was in pretty good company after all!

I'm into handy practical stuff... 22" bbl's (or less on some rounds) are what "feel right" for me. That "feeling" is not something that should be taken lightly. I'm 5'10" so perhaps that's why I like the 22" length. Mark, for instance, is really taller than he needs to be and that may be why 23" "feels right" to him... just a guess there!

Hope my little epistle is of some use in your decision!

Brad

one of us
posted Hide Post
Brad is correct about what he said. I have heard of several .338WM hunters who have shortened their barrels to 22" without losing enough velocity to bother them.

A friend of mine has a .375H&H that has a 22" barrel, and it shoots just as great as before. You could also experiment with a faster burning powder, but I don't know how much difference that will make.

[ 07-13-2002, 06:54: Message edited by: Ray, Alaska ]

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just cut a 25in. .338pre64 Win. to 23ins. Before somebody starts crying let me say it was not the factory barrel. I lost a total of 42ft.
Powder was IMR4350 and a 250gr. bullet. Pete

Posts: 382 | Location: Lewiston, Idaho--USA | Registered: 11 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the info. Looks like I'll have a 22 incher in the near future.

Posts: 178 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 07 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good deal Pete-now get after a few yotes with it.

Brad I'll be home manana.

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dog

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote