Find
Notify
Tools

1st Black hills elk......
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted
"Its just a cow elk", I remember saying to myself. "How hard can it be to find"? It proved to be much more of a challenge than I thought. Opening morning for the 2nd Black Hills Elk season I was out. Fresh snow had fallen so it was easy to see fresh tracks. Only problem was I wasnt finding any. I went all over the place looking. My buddy, SDHunter and I had been out earlier in the week scouting and had found tracks and seen elk. My opening day hunt total was two bulls. On the way home I spotted a nice size herd but they were in the wrong unit.

I went back into the hills Friday morning. The snow had melted so tracks were more difficult to find and I still wasnt seeing many animals. I had 3 cows run across an old two track in front of me right at first light. They never even stopped to look back. I spent the rest of Friday driving old roads then hiking up the ridges and looking for sign. I kept thinking "where are the 6000 elk"? Saturday I hooked up with SDHunter and with his expertise I figured we would find the elk that afternoon or evening. We saw nothing. It started snowing that afternoon and with fresh snow we had high hopes for Sunday.

Sunday was spent checking for tracks in the snow again and we just were not seeing anything. We saw everything else, mule deer, white tail, antelope, turkeys, mountain lion, coyotes but NO ELK. Then all of sudden there they were. Moving at a pretty good clip up a ridge. SDHunter and I high tailed up a draw in hopes of getting in front of them. Elk move pretty fast and they had already gone past us. We tracked them for a quite a while and finally came upon one animal at about 30 yards. I had about 2 seconds to shoot. The timber was so thick that all I could see was the body. I couldnt see the head so I hesitated and it bolted. Im pretty sure it was a bull and the size of the tracks led SDHunter to the same conclusion.

We took a break and SDHunter decided it was time to try a completely new area. We were headed down and old log road when he spotted the elk in a clear cut. He stopped the truck and shut it off. We started glassing and then the cussing like sailors. Bulls. 3 of them. Then a cow appeared. We slipped out of the truck and moved to a good position where I had a good rest and waited. There were 3 cows and 3 calves. They were still unaware of our presence and grazing towards us. I had broad side shots but nothing clear because the calves were either in front of the cow or behind it. So I waited and tried to relax (yeah right). SDHunter was doing his best to keep me calm by telling me to wait, they dont know we are here, we have all time we need. Finally, they strung out in a line broad side. SDHunter said, "Shoot the 3rd animal from the left, she is the biggest". I put the crosshairs of the .35 Whelen behind her shoulder and squeezed. She jumped at the shot, and spun around, took about 5 steps and collapsed.

Gutting was interesting and Im glad I had the extra hands. It wasnt difficult just a lot of it and manuvering the body would have been damn near impossible by myself. The bullet went clean though and took out the upper lungs. The meat damage was minimal. Exit hole about 1 1/2 inches. The trophy bonded bear claw performed flawlessly. It took us a few minutes to get her loaded into the truck but in the end we managed. Now that you have sat through this long post..here is the picture.

Oh, the rifle is a pre-war model 70. I was shooting 225 grain Federal ammunition. Many thanks to SDHunter...I couldnt have done it without him.

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn good job! That's some fine eating and a great hunt.
Better than Wade's first doe of the bow season here, it weighted about 40 pounds.
Might make a good sandwich.

Again, Bill, Congratulations!
Walt

Posts: 324 | Location: VIRGINIA | Registered: 27 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great Job! love the .35 Whelen great rifle for elk. They sure do get big when you have one on the ground and you are by yourself.

one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Very nice. "It's just a cow" - that's what I tell myself every time I apply for a cow hunt here in NM. I actually prefer to hunt them over the bulls...

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
excellent!

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good job Bill, she will be some fine eating.

one of us
Picture of Iron Buck
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the elk! Smiler And I LOVE your choice in calibers. The 35 Whelen is my favorite hunting round. I own 2, a custom mauser & a Remmy 7600 pump action

Posts: 813 | Location: Wexford PA, USA | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Good job!! What a big Cow!

Sounds like it was a tough hunt!

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3326 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of raybass
posted Hide Post
Good job Bill, nice rifle too. Glad you connected and sounds like a good clean shot. I think you picked an excellent cartridge too. thumb Now lets hope I can get one down this year with my CDL in 35 whelen. Glad you had a good hunt.

Straight shootin to ya

Posts: 531 | Location: Montgomery, Texas | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Bill,

Nice elk. Cow elk is my favorite form venis0n.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10135 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! What a special experience, and done with class.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thumb

Congrats on the hunt. Now how about a close up of the rifle?

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
Its a beater! for now. Smiler Going to get a new stock some day but I experimented a lot on that stock...and it looks like it.

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Hey Bill,

I forgot to add...nice healthy looking cow and...what are you now sponsored by Carhart... Big Grin

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10135 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
Mike!

Big Grin I wish.....but no. Just happen to like Carhart clothing. Good stuff and can take a serious beating.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill,

Good job!!! thumb
The 35 Whelen did the job.
Good narrative too.
Thanks for the post.

Don

One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
EMMMMMM - good...

Congrats!

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2981 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
Bill:

Outstanding! Thanks for the recap as I live my hunting dream through guys like you because I live in an urban jungle!

Now get your ass back in the shop and work on my boy's rifle stock! (Just kidding - enjoy the outdoors as much as you can - I wish I could more.)

I hope all is well.

Paul

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of x-caliber
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! thumb

X

Posts: 867 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 10 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JOE MACK
posted Hide Post
Bill,

You ever put in for anything in Custer State Park? I hear they just stand by the road and wait for you to shoot them hillbilly

Congratulations, as the old saw goes, you can't eat antlers.

JOE MACK aka The .41FAN

HAVE MORE FUN AND GET THE JOB DONE WITH A .41

I am the punishment of God…
If you had not committed great sins,
God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you. (GENGHIS KHAN)

Posts: 403 | Location: PRK | Registered: 20 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice Elk!! And Custer State Park is anything but easy to get an elk...

Posts: 217 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 29 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Bill,

Take a look at my antelope thread and look at the jacket.

Mike

one of us
Picture of M1Tanker
posted Hide Post
Bill,
OUTSTANDING!!!!

if it makes you feel any better my toughest elk hunt was in 200 in a "spike only" hunt. I have never hunted for an elk so hard in my life - nor seen so many big bulls that I had to just let walk by - some at less than 30 yards.

Congradulations on the full freezer!!!!!

William Berger

True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. - John Wayne

The courageous may not live forever, but the timid do not live at all.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Rigby, ID | Registered: 20 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
Had some Elk Top Sirloin steaks last night. I honestly could not tell the difference between those elks steaks and beef. Im spoiled rotten now.

one of us
posted Hide Post
bill - i just noticed your location. when we lived in spearfish in the 90s, my wife and i would often drive up to newell and fruitdale just to make a day of it and see what was going on! we'd picnic along the belle fourche river on the way home, or maybe stick around and fish the channel for cats into the evening.

good times, beautiful country....

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
As much as I like the small town of Newell, there isnt much too see IMHO. I prefer Spearfish the Cheyenne Crossing area. But its spendy to live there so its a someday move. Smiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
i think i liked it up in fruitdale/newell because it reminded me of home and even in a spot as beautiful as spearfish and working at the spearfish canyon lodge, i got homesick for some prairie now and then. Wink of course, now that we've moved back home, we keep talking about how nice it would be to go back to the black hills. we decided that if the house ever burns down or when the kids leave home (whichever comes first), we'll move back to spearfish!