THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Do tip amounts vary by the game hunted?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do tip amounts vary by the game hunted?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am planning on going to one of those southern plantation deer and hogs hunts. The kind you see on Buckmasters, Realtree, Knight & Hale, etc. The letter from the outfitter states that if you are happy with the hunt that it is normal to tip the guide and cook. I know that tipping is expected these days. What is the rule of thumb? And surely the tip amount should vary by the game you hunt? For instance on my upcoming hunt, the guiding should consist of a dude walking me to my treestand and then coming back hours later to pick me up. I am sure very similar to bait bear hunts. This to me is not even close to a "pack-in" wilderness elk hunt in the Rockies or a Dall sheep hunt in Alaska, right?

So what would you consider a fair tip amount?

Thanks,

C-ROY

Posts: 259 | Location: Carolina | Registered: 11 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Is 10% of the value of the hunt about right for the guide? What percentage to the cook?

Thanks,

C-ROY

Posts: 259 | Location: Carolina | Registered: 11 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tipping is very much an issue of personal preference which should be based on a) your finances and b) the quality of service. For example, when I hunted in RSA I felt that my PH went WELL out of his way to make my hunt as great as possible and I tipped him accordingly based on what I could afford. Personally don't I think that a "guide" who takes you to the stand, slings your deer into his pickup & helps skin it is going to get as much as someone who carries your dall ram and half of your gear down the mountain for you. Take what you can afford to give as a tip & spread it out based on how YOU feel it's deserved at the end of the hunt. Keep in mind that a guide can work very hard and you still may not take your trophy- not always his fault.

Posts: 990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 January 2003Reply With Quote
<rws2>
posted
Well this will probably get me flamed! BUT I do not believe in tipping,but I do only because I don't want to be the [censored]!

I think you should get paid what you ask and thats it.If you need tips to make it then raise your prices.But 10% should be about right!

one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
C-Roy,

I ask the outfitter what the guide and the cook are paid for a day's work in camp, and use that as the basis for tipping. This is a very personal decision, and I dislike being hounded for a tip because the outfitter does not pay his help adequately.

jim dodd

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My take on the tipping issue: tips are meant for "extra service" ,not for paid up service.To often we hear that up to 10% is "customary".If its needed the outfitter should increase his price to pay HIS help.
Again: tips should be reserved for service beyond the ordinary,everything else is already paid up.
A fellow that shows me the stand I am hunting from,therefore,gets zilch,no extra service provided,he is ,by any definition a helper for the outfitter with close to zero value to me.If the hunting price includes gutting and getting the meat and trophy shipped back with me,than that is already paid for.
Free yourself of the guilt feeling that you are getting something for nothing..
Stand up for what is right..If you still feel you have too much loose change and there are people in this world that could use some of your cash- by all means spread it around.

sheephunter

Posts: 795 | Location: CA,,the promised land | Registered: 05 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oh it's fine not to tip. If you decide to go back just hope the same fellow is not still working there. He may be the one who decides what stand you hunt. I guess you non-tippers do the same at resturants as the service should be included in the price of the meal. Hope your guide isn't a struggling college student or some guy working to buy a few Christmas presents for his kids. Let your concience be your guide.

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote