THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Nebraska’s lone bighorn sheep hunter harvests a trophy-class ram

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nebraska’s lone bighorn sheep hunter harvests a trophy-class ram
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
http://nebraskaradionetwork.co...-bighorn-sheep-hunt/

Nebraska’s lone bighorn sheep hunter harvests a trophy-class ram

DECEMBER 7, 2016 BY MIKE LOIZZO

Brett Roberg of Holdrege, Neb., was given, perhaps, the hunting opportunity of his life and he made the most of it.

Roberg was the only Nebraska Game and Parks Commission’s bighorn sheep hunting permit holder this year.

Monday afternoon, he was successful in bringing in a Rocky Mountain bighorn ram at Fort Robinson State Park.

The ram is estimated to be 10 years old and unofficially scored 166 on the Boone and Crockett Club’s system, which is derived from measurements of the horns’ length, their spread and four points of circumference for each.

Roberg was one of 2,539 entrants in the NGPC lottery for a bighorn sheep hunt.

The lottery raised $63,475 for the conservation program and sheep reintroduction efforts.

The Commission plans to have another lottery next year as well as auction off one permit.

Kathi

kathi@wildtravel.net
708-425-3552

"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Posts: 9394 | Location: Chicago | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
The auction will bring n ten times that amount.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
A 166 Bighorn Sheep is a Trophy Ram? sofa

Posts: 2329 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wonder if that's the same Brett Roberg that works for Nebraska Game and Parks.... Not that employees should be ineligible just interesting. Another employees son drew the tag just a few years back. Interesting with only 1 tag.

Posts: 147 | Location: Parks AZ | Registered: 31 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I saw a list of the auction prices one time and if I remember correctly they usually bring around 150000. I am one of the 2500 that applied for the tag, have done so for a long time and will continue to do so, I just wish they would give you preference points like they do on the other big game animals.

Posts: 1013 | Location: Imperial, NE | Registered: 05 January 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the Nebraska Bighorn tag drawing system. There are many years there are know tags available for management reasons.

One person one chance. Point systems are not fun.I don't want to be the 19 points guy who is not going to draw again this year or the 5 point guy who just bought a point, at least I get to dream about sheep hunting with the system currently implemented.

As far as the names being thrown around, I will do a little research. I find it hard to believe that there is nepotism influencing the drawings. It's just too small of a pool of participants who are really interested to pull that off.

Finally, congratulations to the luck Nebraskan for a once in a life time hunt that I hope do some day.

Posts: 457 | Location: NW Nebraska | Registered: 07 January 2007Reply With Quote