New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hot and Quick or Low and Slow
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Whether velocity kills or not isn't the question. After you've got that backstrap ready to put on the grill do you use high heat and cook it quick, or low heat and slow.

I used to be in favor of hot and quick for steaks, but practising on lomitos down here have convinced me low and slow works best; just don't overcook it. My method makes for a more tender piece of meat than what my friends get by the hot and quick method. That's not say they agree with me.

Brisket was the primary piece of meat to grill / smoke in West Texas and slow cooking worked best. Down here whether it's chicken, chorizo, lomito or ribs slow cooking will win every time.

Posts: 13870 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
When I'm BBQing steaks I like to blast them super hot for a couple of minutes each side. This sears the outside and holds the juices in. I want it to be pink on the inside.
When I'm using my broiler I find I have to keep the temperature much lower or I get a Dry steak. I'm talking venison of course. It is much harder to overdo a beef steak with all that extra fat.
I pretty much only do the prime cuts on the grill/broil. The rest of the cuts get tenderized, marinaded or simmered ect..
I like to broil my tenderloins with bacon on top of them because they are so lean and it just tastes so damn good.
Maybe this should be on the recipes forum.

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ya'll need to try some Grub Rub seasoning. It is the best I have used, good on deer, pig, duck, quail, dove, squirrel, etc....even good on store bought chicken and beef. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like my beef and vension raw. Just get it cold and cut it up and keep eating it til its gone. I put a little salt on it.

If I cook it I like it rare with the blood running out. No seasonings please as it ruins the flavor.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kensco: My favorite method of cooking backstrap (in Hunting camp or at home) is to fry it on high heat in a skillet! I like to let the meat age at least three days but have eaten it the same day it was harvested also. Anyway heat the frying pan well with your favorite cooking oil in it. Roll the 3/4" thick cut backstrap steaks in flour. Just before putting the steaks in the very hot frying pan add about 10 pats of butter to the oil stir it together. Put in the steaks and salt and pepper them somewhat heavily. Turn the steaks every minute or so and make sure they do not over cook!
The potatoes and vegetable are previously done up soyou can now sit down to a feast fit for a King!
I helped pack out a Moose on December 2nd of last month for an acquaintance. He gave me two packages of Moose backstrap last week in payment for spending my day helping him. I thawed out one of the packages of backstrap a few days ago and cooked it as described. It was incredible! Beyond gourmet! I vote for the old frying pan method of cooking backstrap! I have used this method of cooking the backstrap of Deer, Anteope, Elk, Mountain Goat and Bear. All taste wonderful when cooked like this. (I am making myself hungry!).
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most if not all chefs will sear a steak (or backstrap) then finish it in the oven for 5-10 minutes, then let the meat rest for another 10 minutes before slicing and plating up...

Posts: 258 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: 18 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've seen two Hot & Quick methods that were stunning. One envolved a thick coating of salt; the other a think coating of sugar.

The steaks, with sugar coating, cooked about ten seconds, tops, on each side. The cook got the mesquite fire so hot the grill had started to glow. He then rolled the steaks in about two pounds of sugar, dropped them on the fire, counted to ten, flipped them, counted to ten, and started stacking them on a plate. I think they were still cooking on that platter. The steaks were perfect Medium, with a pink center. Anyone that asked for rare got five seconds a side.

The salt technique I saw used was very similar, but they cooked longer, maybe the fire wasn't as hot.

The interesting thing was that the steaks didn't have either a sugar or a salty taste. Just a juicy meat flavor. I've not had better.

I tried the salt approach years ago, but suspect I didn't get my fire hot enough. They were a tad salty.

one of us
Picture of Flip
posted Hide Post
I like it slow, I hate meat with red left in it

Posts: 931 | Location: Nambia | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Venison, I eat cowboy style as my family has for generations...thaw it out in hot water, it will be grey and bled out..double dose it in flour and fry it, top it with Pico de Gallo and eat it..I was raised on this and sometimes after frying, it was simmered in white gravy for a change, I cut all the fat and tallow and membrane off of it before cooking....

Beef, I like it cooked on mesquite and rare..also topped with Pico de Gallo or some kind of chile.

Post Toaties: milk and topped with pico de Gallor or some kind of Chile... [Big Grin]

Peaches: topped with Pico de Gallo or some kind of chile. [Big Grin]

I'm a confirmed Chile head.....I can eat a habanero or Scotch Bonnet chile with little concern, but I have seen many Jalapenos and Serranos just as hot, and they have a much better flavor...

Posts: 42167 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
I wish I knew what Lomita is...maybe I'd better understand what you're cooking! [Big Grin]

Eric got it right. If a chef is cooking a whole backstrap, he'll grill it or sear it on the outside, finish it in the oven, let it rest and carve away...

If I am cooking steaks cut from the loin they get grilled. Some cuts from the haunch get grilled as well.

Alot of what you do depends on the animal and how it was killed and the meat cared for. You cannot expect a bull moose to be a tender as a calf. I don't know what a Lomita is, though! [Big Grin]

Tough cuts demand either moist cooking at low temperatures, or low and slow BBQ syle cooking. And I mean REAL BBQ, not what we call BBQ up here, which is actually grilling.

Tests have shown that there is no difference in moisture content between meat that has been seared and then roasted, and meat that has not been seared. So according to these tests, you cannot "lock in the juices." However there is a big difference in flavour, so I still sear or grill.

After many years of cooking meat, I've decided that when grilling or frying, pepper should be added as the end rather than at the beginning. I think the pepper reacts with the heat, and you lose much of the flavour of the pepper itself, leaving only the spicy hot aspect of the pepper.

The French have been making pepper steaks for years, and Cajun food is oftened blackened with pepper and spices, so it's not a hard and fast rule....

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was raised on steak cooked much the same as Ray's recipe, and I'm a chili head as well. I've got some Habaneros in the refrigerator that are so hot, I don't think I've ever seen anything so hot. We buy Pace by the gallon; one day my wife bought the mild. To fix up this mild picante, I added 2 of these Habaneros and made it almost too hot.

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"Lomito" is just the word for backstrap. Usually I get one about 2 to 3'long.

I grill on our balcony (12'x 40'). My wife marinates all the meat starting the night before.

I start my fire in one half the grill about five hours before I want to serve. Thirty minutes to an hour later, I wrap the ribs and chicken in foil and set them on the off-side, away from the fire. I keep the lid closed on the grill as long as the fire is acting right.

An hour or so before I want to serve, I put the chorizos (sausage) on the off-side and let them start working.

By the time I'm ready to put the lomito on, I uncover the ribs and chicken to finish them. The fire has usually burned down fairly good. The lomito cooks slow, but doesn't take too long. I keep everything else rolling and rotating on the grill so that everything finishes together.

My last official act is to close the lid, put the beer can over the chimney, and screw in the plug on the side to choke the fire out.

The guests are told to arrive about two hours before I plan to serve. Everyone gets lubricated. The conversation has time to get out of the way; then things get deathly quiet while the food disappears.

I haven't had any complaints.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Soak it it Jack Daniel's or Jim Beam over night wrap it in Hickory Smoked bacon and SLOW ROAST on a grill [Big Grin]

Posts: 1529 | Location: Tidewater,Virginia | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:

I'm a confirmed Chile head.....I can eat a habanero or Scotch Bonnet chile with little concern, but I have seen many Jalapenos and Serranos just as hot, and they have a much better flavor...

Ray, you and I are much alike there. I grow my own Habaneros here in Michigan, which usually involves a grow light in the basement and letting them ripen on dead, brown plants due to the too-short growing season. You can't make them hot enough for me, unless it's those little 'bird peppers,' now those are wicked...

I occasionally get in trouble when serving my cooking to people -- my 'mild' chili for my wife's work chili cook-off 2 years ago had beads of sweat standing out on foreheads.

I also like essentially raw meat waved over the flames to brown it, but I wouldn't eat completely raw anything except cow.

Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote