Tools

Adequate Hunting Accuracy?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kensco:
The weak link is not the gun, the bullet, the scope, it's me. I know my limits and stay within them. That's good enough for me.

Well said Kensco! Getting a gun dialed in is not the last word in accepatable hunting accuracy, it is merley one thing that helps give an edge, usually in the form of confidence, over a broad range of variables. I would rather shoot a 1 1/2" moa rifle off hand at 200 yds while in the proper frame of mind and good physical condition than a 1/2" moa rifle @ 200 while mentally rattled and physically winded.

[ 01-12-2003, 22:54: Message edited by: Wstrnhuntr ]

Posts: 10164 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I THINK IF YOU CAN SHOOT 1.5 MOA AT 100 AND 3.5 AT 300 YDS YOU DON,T HAVE TO LOSE SLEEP OVER IT.I THINK EVERYBODY KNOWS THERE OWN LIMITS OR THEY SHOULD.MOST PEOPLE HAVE WHAT I CALL( ONE DAY SHOOTERS) TO SITE THE GUN IN AT A PAPER PLATE. THEY HIT IT THEY ARE GOOD AND OFF HUNTING THEY GO .

Posts: 7 | Location: wyoming | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Flip
posted Hide Post
If the bullet shoots well and cann kill the game at your own cut of point than the is accurate anouth

Posts: 931 | Location: Nambia | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Anymore, I'm more interested in how well a rifle shoots at 200 and 300 yards than 100. As was said, repeatable accuracy (more tthan group size) is key. Still, I like a bullet that will hold together and penetrate on rear shots. On deer, a ballistic tip will do that. I'm doubtful it would on an elk so I'd choose whatever stout premium gave me the best accuracy at 300 yards.

BA

one of us
posted Hide Post
Kensco,
nice post. I appreciate your honesty, and i agree with you. I think 3moa is pretty darn good from standing. Most people dont shoot enough to know thier limits from standing and sitting positions, only from bench positions, and i think that creates a problem when it comes time to decide ethicly if we want to take, or pass on a shot at game.

Posts: 107 | Location: Tigard, Oregon USA | Registered: 02 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like my rifles to shoot one inch or less at 100 from the bench. I know I won't have the same conditions in the field, but if I know my rifle and load is capable of that group it increases my confidence. My varmint groups MUST be smaller, usually 1/2 inch. It gives me something to strive for too which means I shoot more and obtain more skill with that rifle. That combination of shooting and load make for confident hunters and better bullet placement. With that Barnes bullet scenario, I'd work with different loads until I could improve it or change bullets.

Bob257

Posts: 434 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
<Chainsaw>
posted
John, The key for me has been to sell off most of my hunting rifles. I now have two hunting rifles that are for practical purposes the same with the same scope. The OAL of rifles is 38". I use one mainly and the other is a back-up.

I practise my shooting from the bench but for the most part I practise from an elevated stand with no rest at distances that I encounter from actual hunting spots. I also practise snap shooting, that is from the time I decide to shoot till the time I squeeze the trigger, (shoulder the arm to actual shot) I want no more than 3-5 seconds to go by.

The bullet I use is Barnes in both these rifles, as Barnes in my rifles has been the most accurate. I use the Hornady of the same weight for my practise but do shoot with the Barnes before the hunt. I use 30 caliber 130 grain and some 140 grain bullets. All that I currently hunt is whitetail and this bullet has performed great on all chances I have had. My shots are all 200 yards or less.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brad:
I like a bullet that will hold together and penetrate on rear shots.

That is contradictory with your position on using a 270 for elk at long range.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Depends on the game!

3MOA is not acceptable for roe stalking and still less for muntjac. It won't cut the mustard on a neck shot of a bigger deer either (not necessarily a bad thing)

Contrary to popular belief, you can use better accuracy in the woods. Yes it's short range, but you will probably be having to thread a shot through a gap at an animal that is only partly visible.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote