Find
Notify
Tools

elk success photo
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Shot this elk opening day in Idaho.
Cow called in a group in the fog to about 40 yards. They spooked so I cow called like crazy and they stopped out about 150yards and went back to grazing after a few minutes.

I waited about 20 minutes until the fog started to clear then I started cow calling a little.
This 5x4 walked up to me and I shot him at about 100 yards with 300win mag and 200gr Nosler Partitions. 1 shot put him down.
My friend shot a 5x5 the next morning I will post his picture later.
 -

Posts: 162 | Location: Boise | Registered: 07 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
sweet!, exit? where did it hit?

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rukidnme, Congratulations! What Unit were you and your buddy hunting in??

My two buds and I struck out in Unit 37A, Oct. 1-24th, Controlled Bull Elk draw. Very, very hot temps.

L.W.

Posts: 253 | Location: S.W. Idaho | Registered: 30 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses.

I shot him where the neck joins the shoulder quartering back into the body. There was no exit.

We were hunting up by McCall near the Salmon River. We were at about 8000' and it was definitely not dry, it snowed off and on all three days we were there. Lots of elk and wolf sign.
Just like last year the wolves had the elk pushed down into the canyon breaks in the steep stuff.

one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
Rukidnme:

Nice bull, congratulations. Now for a computer dummy, me, LOL.
How do you post pictures here?

Thanx

Jerry

Posts: 1297 | Location: Chandler arizona | Registered: 29 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jerry.
Don't feel bad I had to ask how to post photos also.
There is a post in the photography forum under 'posting pictures' that details it step by step.
I followed it and it was not that hard.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Rukidnme. Glad you and your bud, scored. I had two friends who were also up in the McCall Zone, hunting in the Lake Hazard area. They killed two 6x6s. They too, were seeing wolf sign all over the place. That area is heavily populated by the McCall wolf pack.

Looks as if my two buds and I were just in the wrong place (37A-Lemhi) at the right time, and the weather creamed us.

L.W.

Posts: 253 | Location: S.W. Idaho | Registered: 30 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, nice bull!

Posts: 1317 | Location: eastern Iowa | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
Rukidnme:

I know this sounds lame, but where is the photograpy forum? I can't find anything titled photography forum. Thanx

Jerry

Posts: 1297 | Location: Chandler arizona | Registered: 29 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jerry,
It is called Practical Photography for Hunters. It is down the forum list a ways.
Down at the bottom of the first page or maybe on the second now there is a topic titles posting photos, has all the info.

Thanks again for the responses on the photos guys.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Weidmannsheil! Sounds like an exiting hunt!
- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote