Find
Notify
Tools

Saw 2 whitetail bucks yesterday
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of cwilson
posted
On the way home from work yesterday, I saw 2 deer feeding in a thicket about 150 yards from the back country road. I stopped and glassed them. Turns out that one was a doe, one was a buck (small deer - 1 1/2 year old) with one antler gone and the other was a full-racked 8 point that I would guess by body size to be a 2 1/2 - 3 1/2 year old.

I think this is the latest that I have seen a racked deer in West/Central Pennsylvania. I once saw a small spike on Valentines Day, but never saw a buck with decent antlers in February.

I've seen deer lose their antlers as early as late November or early December. Does anyone know why there is such a long period of time over which the antlers can be shed?

cwilson

A well requlated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed - 2nd Amendment U.S. Constitution

Posts: 715 | Location: Boswell, PA, USA | Registered: 20 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am not a biologist but I think I have read a lot of it depends on the health of the deer and amount of nutrition he is getting.

Keep yer powder dry and yer knife sharp.

Posts: 607 | Location: Texas City, TX. USA. | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
I once saw a full antlered buck chasing a doe in APRIL.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of joedjr
posted Hide Post
Some are are still sporting head gear here in N.J. I've seen some as late as the end of March on my trail camera.

Posts: 310 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: 24 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The smaller deer like spikes hold theirs longer because the more loving a buck does the sooner he sheds !! I don't know the other variables.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://i253.photobucket.com/albums/hh51/bja105/feb22008057.jpg

These two had lost their antlers by last week.
Not exactly pertinent to a discussion of buck with antlers, but it gives me an excuse to post pics from my new camera!

Jason

Posts: 582 | Location: Western PA, USA | Registered: 04 August 2003Reply With Quote