Find
Notify
Tools

Wife's Axis Stag 4/10/08
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Troy Hibbitts
posted
We own a few acres a couple of miles from the house and near the Nueces River. After seeing a bit of Axis traffic in the area this past winter, we finally put a feeder up down there. Since I had the opportunity to harvest a trophy mule deer on our deer lease this past fall, once we started seeing the axis on our property, my wife's made it a mission to get one. We have a "north wind" tripod set up down there that we put in during the winter, but with the predominately south winds, she's had to adjust and put in a ground blind (basically just an easy-carry low folding chair and some camo-netting sticks) back in the cedars.

Basically, every day that we come in from work with enough day light left for her to head down there, she does. Today, she called me on the cell well before dark to ask me to bring the camera and the other truck down because she'd shot one.

Shot with her TC Encore, .358 Winchester (225 gr TSX) at 35-40 yards.

I think that there may be a bigger one around - we've seen 2-3 in this size class or better.

Troy

http://thehibbitts.net/
Brackettville, TX

Posts: 282 | Location: Brackettville, TX | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excellent trophy! Way to go
Good Hunting,
Graham

Posts: 264 | Location: Northern BC, Canada | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Damn nice pelt on the axis. Love the contrast of the spots. Congrats to the huntress!!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Troy,
enjoyed meeting you and your wife at the big bore shoot in juliff. I'm surprised she wasn't shooting the cz 9.3 x 62. Any way you can't go wrong with the 358 win. Good looking axis.
Congrats, I know you'll enjoy the meat.
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Congrats!!

That's a lovely buck. I'm looking forward to the day I can get an Axis, they really are a great deer.

Rgds,
FB

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Troy,

Excellent Axis!!!
Kudos to your wife!!!! thumb

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is a dandy buck and some of the best eating game meat ever.

Perception is reality
regardless the truth!

Stupid people should not breed

DRSS
NRA Life Member
Owner of USOC Adventure TV

Posts: 923 | Location: Phx Az and the Hills of Ohio | Registered: 13 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very Nice

Posts: 2826 | Location: Houston | Registered: 01 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did yall opt to preserve the velvet on the mount?

Posts: 2826 | Location: Houston | Registered: 01 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
What a beautiful buck. Congratulations to her. That is one of the finest eating and looking exotic Deer we have in Texas.

An excellent trophy in anyones eyes. Well done! thumb

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful Axis!!!!!!

But I figured after the big bore shoot she would be hunting with a 458 Lott now.

Posts: 42343 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Troy Hibbitts
posted Hide Post
We have the whole head currently in the freezer . . . haven't decided exactly what we're going to do on the mount.

We got her a M77 Hawkeye in .375 Ruger the weekend after the Big Bore Shoot . . . she wants me to take the wafer-thin recoil pad off of it and put on a decelerator before she hunts with it. Why Ruger insists on those thin red and hard pads on everything is beyond me LOL.

Anyway, that Encore in .358 has been her go-to gun. She's had a .260 barrell for it since 2002, and when I asked her what gun she'd want for Africa she said she wanted to take her Encore, so I got her the .358 barrell . . . Unless she's likely to shoot over 200 yards, she's been using the .358 for everything lately.

Troy

http://thehibbitts.net/
Brackettville, TX

Posts: 282 | Location: Brackettville, TX | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice axis buck. They are truly an elegant deer.

Alan

But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.-Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 511 | Location: Goliad, Texas | Registered: 06 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I sure don't blame her on the recoil pad. I don't know why Ruger uses the things either.

I bet that 375 Ruger will be awsome Axis and Hog medicine.

Posts: 42343 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gorgeous animal, I hope to get one someday! Great trophy.

Posts: 206 | Location: nicholasville, KY | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote