Find
Notify
Tools

Doe hunt with a twist.
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted
This is another one where I don't have pictures, but then I think most of us know what a doe whitetail deer looks like.

A buddy from the DFW Metromess that has came out and did late season doe hunts came out this past Friday to try and get a doe for the freezer.

Due to other events, he was not been able to come out last year so I wanted to do my best at getting him a doe.

We have had so much rain in this area this year that I have not been able to fill the feeders on the regular schedule I have used in the past.

My nephew and his buddy that I talked about in the post about the New Years Day hog hunt were also involved in this hunt.

Because of the muddy conditions and still hoping to get some more pigs, I loaded the Polaris Ranger I have access to and hauled it down to the property where I keep our hog trap and with the help of my nephew, his buddy and my client, we moved the hog trap from the pasture into the field and baited with corn pretty heavily.

That was on Friday afternoon. Saturday morning after a quick deer hunt by both parties we met back at the field where we had moved the trap to check it and there were no pigs, which was not really a bad thing in the long run.

One thing we noticed when checking the trap was the amount of deer tracks around the feeder. It seems that the deer were going after the corn and the hogs weren't.

So I decided that the my client and I would come back out that afternoon and watch the trap from the Ranger parked in some brush.

We did see 4 deer that afternoon but none of them offered a doable shot.

Sunday morning found us back out there but setting in a slightly different location that gave the client a better field of view.

Again we were setting on the seat of the Ranger, but this time shortly after 8 a.m. a doe stepped out into the wrong place at the wrong time and the client dropped her with one shot at about 130 yards.

It was a great weekend and I am so blessed to be able to play a role.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Crazyhorse: Glad to see you posting hunt reports. Now, go get you one.

Posts: 12259 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IMHO, its nice to be able to put friends on game!

Good on ya Randall!

ya!

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is. But it is also nice to make time for ourself. This is not selfish. It is necessary.

Posts: 12259 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In all reality I get a lot more enjoyment out of helping other folks make a kill, whether it is a paying client, a long time friend or a family member.

I still get some enjoyment out of shooting ducks, but even that has became less important than it was.

I still love the hunt and the sharing of something that has been so much a part of my life for my 68 years, but it just does not mean the same thing now as it did at one time.

I can not really explain the changes that have taken place over time that have brought me to this point, but I think the one that nas had the most effect is that I began really facing my own mortality, I have realized that hunting as I have known it and been able to do it is moving toward its end and the future generations will not be able to experience the things many of us have.

I get my enjoyment from hunting by being able to help another person understand and appreciate the whole concept of what hunting involves and that the kill is only the icing on the cake, it is everything involved to reach the point where the game is on the ground and the pictures are being taken, that makes a hunt.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
Job well done!

~Ann

Posts: 19563 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on helping your buddy get his deer!

Posts: 2628 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Couldn't have said it any better about what it's all about to me than you did in that last post of yours CHC!!! Hope we both have many years left to do "our thing"!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank You Sir, I appreciate your comment.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sometimes its not what you hunt or what is killed,but who you are hunting with.Good for you!!Huntz

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
,but who you are hunting with.

And that is what has became most important to me.

Thank You Sir.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Randall, you have been on AR quite a spell, so probably you can remember/relate.

When I first started posting on AR mid to late 2001, if you were a Texan who hunted over spin-cast feeders, you were laughed to scorn by Western hunters. Times have changed quite a bit. I do an annual hog hunt in Crystal City, Texas with 25 other guys that post on 24hourcampfire. They come from as far away as Germany to hunt hogs from stands over bait. Course, camaraderie and hi-jinks play big part.

One of my favorite things these days is to host folks from western states that have never hunted hogs or other game in Texas from open air tri-pods/quad pods and box blinds. I usually have access to two or three ATV's. I'll take them to places that would cripple a horse or mule just to get to the point where we climb up a game trail to accessa blind that overlooks an open spot in the middle of a juniper thicket so thick you can't crawl through it on your hands and knees,

After three or four hunts they soon realize that it is not just "shooting".

I've yet to have anyone leave and not say that "they had no idea"

ya!

GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sometimes you have to improvise and hope it works.

I will take a dead animal in the pickup anyday over how it "should' have been done in someone else's opinion.

Helping someone get a deer or hog or turkey or some ducks has became a lot more important to me than making a kill myself.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Crazyhorseconsulting:

Helping someone get a deer or hog or turkey or some ducks has became a lot more important to me than making a kill myself.

Your a better man than I in that regard!

I've often said,

"If I'd rather be doing something else, then its a job."

Hunting, cooking, making jerky, leather work, messing with guns, reloading, photography are my hobbies. I will not do any of the aforementioned for remuneration. That way folks do not have a claim on my time. A gift can only be received, it can't be demanded.
I understand that folks value things they pay hard earned money but so far, no complaints in regards to gifts.

I too enjoy putting friends on game, but I am not yet at the point where I'd rather be doing that on a consistent basis than being by myself alone in the field with a rifle, a camera/lenses and a book or audio-book.

Selfish of me, probably so.

ya!

GWB

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
We are blessed, aye fellas. Congrats your success Randall.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5239 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geedubya:

After three or four hunts they soon realize that it is not just "shooting".

I've yet to have anyone leave and not say that "they had no idea"

ya!

GWB

Many years ago I had the opportunity to hunt with a fellow from here on AR. After a couple years, we became pretty good buds. I ventured south several times, and he came up here for a few elk hunts with my family. When a spot came open on his lease, he asked me to join. I jumped at the opportunity. During the course of my three years there, I came to fully appreciate that the challenge of Texas-style hunting is not shooting a critter from the window of a blind, but rather the planning, preparation, and tremendous work involved in making those blinds productive. We spent many, many hours and dollars mowing brush, cutting trees, hauling feed, setting feeders, building/repairing blinds, working on equipment, improving the feed quality and land's carrying capacity, and myriad other tasks. In that work I found the true enjoyment of what you crazy Texans call hunting. I loved it.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not to hijack the thread but I feel exactly like Geedubya. I'd still rather do than show.... except for my kids, then it's a toss-up.

At 65, I'm still a predator of the first order!

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Selfish of me, probably so.

I heard this statement from a man that did a hell of a lot more hunting than I ever will, but he stated that he had lost his anger and no longer felt the need to kill!

I have nothing to prove to MYSELF. I have killed more than enough critters over the years that it really means nothing to me anymore to pull the trigger on an animal or bird.

It has became totally mechanical.

Helping someone else successfully make a kill allows me to relive what it once meant to me.

Whether it is Lora or another family member or a long time friend or a paying client, it is THEIR reaction that keeps me going.

Unlike many folks, I am not particular about what I shoot! I don't hunt antlers, they do not cook up worth a damn and factory made buttons are a lot cheaper!

If I go out to shoot a deer, which I have not done in four or five years, it involves driving out and getting in the stand 10 or 15 minutes before the feeder goes off and as soon as the first doe that fits what I am looking for sticks her head up, she is down, I am out of the blind and out of the pasture headed for the skinning area as soon as I get her loaded.

There is no fun in that! It is not like all those times when I was doing spot and stalk and I might make 3 or 4 hunts before I MIOGHT get a shot at something.

Once that changed to hunting from stands/blinds overlooking a feeder, all the fun and excitement went out of the picture.

My health and physical abilities are going down hill and I can no longer do things that I once lived to do, so that is why guiding folks has replaced what I lived to do for myself.

Each to their own, I have enjoyed hunting for right at 50 years but my enjoyment has changed to seeing the looks on others faces when they make a kill thru my efforts!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Being as I'm only 67 yrs., I tell folks when I grow up I want to be a "professional small boy"

That way I can maintain the sense of wonder and excitement that my grankids have.

Another saying I like,

A man is not truly old until regrets take the place of dreams. I still dream of being afield. I am a meat hunter also, not a horn hunter, and I continuously look forward to the next opportunity to squeeze the trigger and make some meat!

ya!

GWB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glenn this pissers match is meaningless!

Unlike you who has to drive "X" amount of miles after arranging the ability to spend a few days at your hunting camp I have about 20K acres to run around on daily, srtarting when I walk out of the house.

I might feel different, might Hell, I know I felt different when I did not have access to the resource DAILY.

My day revolves around basically patrolling those 20K acres, checking on and feeding cattle and buffalo, filling and checking feeders and maintaining blinds and stands.

I have maintained the concept of being a Professional Small Boy since the first time I saw the phrase 40 years ago or so.

There is a difference when you are in the situation daily and when you have to take trips back to reality/or go into time out, until you can go back to the play ground.

I am not trying to belittle what you feel or how you view things, we all have our concept of what is important to ourselves, outside our actual responsibilities.

But having experienced the things I have and ending up back in the area where I grew up and have the ability to do the things I do such as tending to the buffalo and cattle, go try shooting ducks or fishing whenever I feel like it, if I want to shoot a pig or deer I can do that or set the trap and catch some pigs for people.

Lora and I raise sheep and have Llamas and Scotch Highland Cattle and chickens that we sell eggs from and turkeys and geese along with our dogs and cats, three of which spend the day with me on my rounds.

Why should I grow up??? What does it hurt if someone that has spent 50 years plus enjoying hunting and fishing realizes that catching fish has became more enjoyable than killing stuff and that helping another person kill something is more special than killing something themselves?

I make about a 50 mile circuit daily and the numbers of deer/hogs/turkeys/sandhill cranes/coyotes, etc. etc. I see during those drives is amazing but I have lost the desire to kill stuff, except coyotes, simply because I have no need to.

I get a lot of enjoyment out of helping others have a successful hunt and I can't see where that is a bad thing!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Glenn this pissers match is meaningless!

Randall,

my bad,

I did not realize we were having a pizzing match!

I'm out!

ya!

GWB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No need to get out, but it did seem like a pissers match in the making.

I am not saying or implying others should feel or believe as I do and gave several reasons why my personal attitude toward hunting has changed over the years.

As long as you or anyone else still enjoys hunting that is great, but I see nothing wrong with those that have reached the point in their lives where they get more pleasure out of helping others have a successful hunt and passing along their knowledge.

The future of hunting does not look all that rosy to me, so if I can help a person enjoy just a little of what I have loved, I waqnt to pass that along.

one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
Rest in peace my friend. God Bless you. Packrattusnongratus.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
I didn't get any bad vibes from what Geedub said. He just said what makes him roll.

Lots of folks lose the thrill of harvesting game. A family member is on the fence right now after 55 years of hunting, many of which were in Montana.

quote:
No need to get out, but it did seem like a pissers match in the making.

I am not saying or implying others should feel or believe as I do and gave several reasons why my personal attitude toward hunting has changed over the years.

As long as you or anyone else still enjoys hunting that is great, but I see nothing wrong with those that have reached the point in their lives where they get more pleasure out of helping others have a successful hunt and passing along their knowledge.

The future of hunting does not look all that rosy to me, so if I can help a person enjoy just a little of what I have loved, I waqnt to pass that along.

Posts: 5239 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did not find a place to put this so here it is.

Randall Weems aka Crazy Horse consulting has passed away in an accident today. Not sure what kind of accident but I hear he was care flighted to Wichita Falls and passed. Heard he was somehow ran over by his own truck.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Oh no! Not Randall now. Very very sad.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Spoke with Randall Monday about him putting up this post.

He was always busting my chops, and visa versa!

Bummer!

We are Diminished

ya!

GWB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geedubya:
Spoke with Randall Monday about him putting up this post.

He was always busting my chops, and visa versa!

Bummer!

We are Diminished

ya!

GWB

As most here know, Randall and I had our skirmishes, but what people don't know is that we got things straightened out most of the time by PM. I got Randall and Lora squared away to do an antelope hunt a year ago where I hunt in Wyoming and was looking forward to meeting and helping them, but due to some health problems I believe Lora was having Randall wasn't able to apply for the tags to do the hunt. I'm just glad if Randall did pass today that the last week or two he made some posts that I told him I agreed 100% with his thinking and he seemed happy to hear that. RIP Randall and God bless Lora in this sad time!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Crazyhorse and I did not agree on a lot of things. But he was always a gentleman to me. He invited me to hunt with him this year, but my mother suffered a massive brain bleed and passed after being on life support. I was out of commission for awhile with that. In PMs he asked me to use his name. So, Randall thank you for your friendship. I hope you got to try the venison recipe I gave you in our last PM.

I will miss him here, and never got to met him face to face.

He spent the last two weeks hunting with folks he cared about. I guess there is a bison herd in heaven that needs cowboying.

God be kind to his wife. I wish had I had stronger words.

If someone has his address, please PM it to me. I would like to write his wife a letter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
Crazyhorse and I did not agree on a lot of things. But he was always a gentleman to me. He invited me to hunt with him this year, but my mother suffered a massive brain bleed and passed after being on life support. I was out of commission for awhile with that. In PMs he asked me to use his name. So, Randall thank you for your friendship. I hope you got to try the venison recipe I gave you in our last PM.

I will miss him here, and never got to met him face to face.

He spent the last two weeks hunting with folks he cared about. I guess there is a bison herd in heaven that needs cowboying.

God be kind to his wife. I wish had I had stronger words.

If someone has his address, please PM it to me. I would like to write his wife a letter.

I don't have his address, but maybe you could send her an email to the address he has listed in his profile and she would get it: crazyhorseconsulting@yahoo.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you kindly Top-Gun.

I will get on it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow, two on this thread are gone. How very sad.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Years ago when Randall broke his elbow in a fall from the truck, Lora came on here and let us know,so she may be aware of this thread.There is some irony to the title of his last post.
RIP Randall I enjoyed the cut and thrust of your threads.

My sincere condolences to his family,I will miss you here. jc

Posts: 1138 | Registered: 24 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was shocked to hear that Randall had passed. My wife and I have hunted with him, and it was a great time.

As you go through life, if you spend enough time in hunting camps, you maybe fortunate enough to meet folks that can only be described as “true characters”. I’ve met a few and Randall certainly is on that list!

He will be missed here for sure. It saddens me to have lost yet another friend.

Rest In Peace Randall.....

Posts: 503 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 01 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So sad I well miss him and his posts.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear the news of CHC passing. I rarely agreed with most of his positions but he kept things interesting.

one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Damn! He could be a crotchety ol' rascal, kinda like my dad, who I love dearly. At times he frustrated me, other times he amazed me with his old-time wisdom and down-home anecdotes. I will miss his stories, his freely given advice, and yes, even his ranting and raving.

Lora - condolences dear lady. I grieve for your loss.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OMG, I talked to Randall just a couple days ago. We were exchanging Christmas and New Years wishes. I will see if I can get more.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 13873 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am pouring myself a shot of Old Crow whiskey and drinking it to Randal, a damn sure Texan.

Posts: 2435 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 29 July 2010Reply With Quote