New
Find
Notify
Tools

First blood for the Kimber .300 WSM
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Bought one of the french walnut stocked Kimber 8400's this spring in .300WSM. I did minimal testing last week and came up with a load pushing 168 gr TSX's at a chronographed 2900 fps, with moa accuracy. At about 8:30 this morning I was glassing a canyon not far from home when a bull started bugling below me. I had a cow tag and figured he probably wasn't alone. In a few minutes I saw a band of elk across the canyon. A quick check with the rangefinder said a standing cow was at 291 yards. A shot through the front shoulders and she dropped in her tracks. She was still trying to rise, so I hit her again. I am impressed with the TSX's. The first shot went through both shoulders and exited, punching a nice hole, but not destroying everything. The second shot was through the front leg, in the heavy bone below the elbow. The leg was shattered, but the bullet still penetrated both lungs. I have a second Kimber, a Montana in .243 that is accurate to allow for head shots on marmots at 300 yds when that is all that is showing above the rocks. I am a Kimber rifle fan. clap

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Congratulations. Pictures?

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
posted Hide Post
I really want Kimber to come out with a 30-06 length action. That Montana in a 250 Savage would be one sweet rifle. Did the second TSX exit also?

I am back from a long Hiatus... or whatever.
Take care.
smallfry

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glad you had a good test run.

What are you using for powder?

Mark D

Posts: 1089 | Location: Bozeman, Mt | Registered: 05 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
smallfry, the second bullet didn't exit, but I didn't find it either. I recently recieved an email from a tech guy at Kimber stating they were coming out with an '06 length action, but no date had been set. Mark, my load is 66.7 gr H4831. I am seating bullets at Barnes's suggested starting point of -.050. When I have time I will test seating depth to see if I can improve the groups. I haven't tried any other powders yet either. My objective with this rifle was to find a relatively mild load that gave moa or better accuracy. I am there, so don't know that I will go to great lengths trying to improve it.

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote