Find
Notify
Tools

Bow case with luggage on plane.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted
Do the airlines charge you an oversize fee for a bow case as one of your checked luggage items? It would not be over the weight limt but the total inches allowed.

---------------------------------

It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it

Posts: 741 | Location: NB Canada | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
I think most airlines consider it a piece of sporting equipment, and therefore exempt from the size restrictions.

Posts: 3296 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Clem
posted Hide Post
It is best to call the airline and ask them to send something in writing. Most post their policy on the web but it may not be spcific. I have traveled with skis, golf clubs and a rifle case and not been nipped. I don't see why the bow case would be an issue.

Posts: 1292 | Location: I'm right here! | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Like it was said, most airlines will take one bow case as one checked bag. Here's Continental's policy, check the web for other airlines.

Archery Equipment
Continental accepts one item of archery equipment per customer in lieu of one piece of free baggage. All items must be properly encased in a suitable container.

An item of archery equipment consists of:

1 bow case containing bows
1 quiver with arrows
Maintenance Kit of sufficient strength to protect items from accidental damage.
Archery equipment carried in addition to the free baggage allowance will be assessed at current excess baggage charge.

Continental is not liable for damage to archery equipment that is not contained in a hard-sided case.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12602 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
I have never been charged extra for a bow case and one bag of luggage. Flew on Delta.

Try and check two bags with the bow case and I've seen folks get hit for that.

I have also had a bowcase boogered up pretty good flying. The samsonite gorilla must have been working that day. So make sure it's a tough case.

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A friend went from Atlanta to Windhoek last year, and checked both a bow case, and a rifle case with SAA. Packed some odds and ends of clothing in the bow case, and everything else in his carry-on. No problems whatsoever.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote