THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Lookin to start workin on sheep/goats in CO

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lookin to start workin on sheep/goats in CO
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I know its gonna take a few years, but do you guys have some suggestions as to where I should start looking as far as sheep and/or goats go? I'd even be interested in a ewe hunt just to sink my teeth into the experience!

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Colorado Bob
posted Hide Post
I got my mtn goat in G13----lots of goats & tags. I went in the 2nd season---fur is better. Ewe hunt would probably be in the Sangre DeCristros. Bighorns experience is only down in SW corner of the state. Better units out there for sure. CB

Posts: 601 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 09 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bob!

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
You really won't have to worry about drawing a tag for 3+ years so just put in every year for Sheep and Goats, use a ewe as a second choice on your Sheep application. After you have accumulated 3 preference points you will then be "in the drawing" so to speak. So look at it this way you have 3+ years of touring the states Sheep population and getting to know an area, by then you will have an idea where you want to hunt. Some units are a different type of hunt than others, some high country, some timber hunts, pretty much all steep!
I got both a Sheep and a Goat several years back ( in the 1990's ) and have been trying to draw a Desert Sheep since then.
Good luck with your Sheep and Goat tags.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Milehighshooter,

Considering where you live, why don't you start your "conditioning" and walk over the the Moose & Goose Hq. They will be able to tell you about success on draw/hunt/etc. Might even have a few suggestions for you.

I took these pictures about 1 1/4 hours ago on BLM land that was hunted by at least 2 hunters this year.

If a day goes by when you don't learn something - it was a Total Loss!

Posts: 324 | Location: SE Wyoming | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks for all the replies fellas! i think i'll pick a random unit this year and do as Snell suggested and spend some time in the summer checking it out, getting a feel for things. I know i'm in for a long wait, but thats fine. Need some time to get my "sheep" rifle built anyhow Cool

one of us
Picture of Colorado Bob
posted Hide Post
Milehigh----All the drawing data is on the DOW's website. It's under statistics, I think. Plus they have horn measurements of all the sheep/goats killed in Colorado. Included is the drainage/kill site----They seem to use the same range year after year. CB

one of us
Picture of Colorado Bob
posted Hide Post
Snellstorm---Good luck on the desert. I tried that route after I got my ram in 98. I gave up & went back to the Rocky Mtn route. Got 3 points plus 1 weighed point---could be my year I get lucky in hte draw.

one of us
Picture of Colorado Bob
posted Hide Post
Snellstorm---Good luck on the desert. I tried that route after I got my ram in 98. I gave up & went back to the Rocky Mtn route. Got 3 points plus 1 weighed point---could be my year I get lucky in the draw.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
MHS
170+ class ram is a gimme in a few areas I mentioned in the PM if you have iron lungs and brass balls Smiler
Keep building them points
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb37/Feleno/SheepCopyright.jpg

Posts: 161 | Location: United States | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 161 | Location: United States | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's a nice old bruiser!

If a day goes by when you don't learn something - it was a Total Loss!

Posts: 324 | Location: SE Wyoming | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WOW! I think I'll be reading that PM again Wink