New
Find
Notify
Tools

PMP Ammo VS ND Deer
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I recently built a Turkington 30-06. With PMP 150 Gr. factory ammo, it shot cloverleaf groupings. I decided to try it for North Dakota deer this year. I shot 2 does with it. The first one was a 200 yd. shot quartering slightly away. At the shot the deer took off running right toward me, dragging its left front leg. I was about 100 ft. straight up from the deer, and shot it again while it was running. The deer then turned and went about 20 yards and fell over dead. Autopsy showed that the first bullet had blown away the top half of the heart, and broke the leg on the opposite side. The second bullet had grazed the hair on the neck and had hit the hardest part of the shoulder blade. It broke the shoulder blade and apparently exploded. It took out a portion of hide about 4" long, zero penetration.

The next doe was a 100 yard quartering shot. The bullet entered behind the last rib, exited lungs on the opposite side, just behind the shoulder. The deer went about 30 yards.

I have only shot one more deer with this bullet, and it was a less than 100 yd. spine shot with complete penetration.

JD

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used PMP too, and also found the bullets a bit soft.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Terry: It is definitely not a round for breaking bones + penetration. Penetration was good on all the shots, except where the shoulder was hit. I was kind of surprised to have the bullet explode at 30-06 velocitiy. I've had similar explosions with BT's and most standard bullets at +2900 FPS, but this is the first at slower velocities. Maybe a 180 gr. would be better, but I think the 150 gr. is for target practice only, too bad because I was given a case.

JD

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have you tried the Barnes TSX yet? I am very pleased with the performance on deer this year and also the accuracy is outstanding.

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dwight: I've used X bullets since they first came out. I haven't shot deer with TSX because I think they are too good a bullet for deer, elk and larger for sure. I was just giving info on PMP's in case anyone else might try them.

JD