THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Experiences with the 6.5X55 & 260 on game

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Experiences with the 6.5X55 & 260 on game
 Login/Join

<6.5 Mtn Rifle>
posted
I'm about to get a new hunting rifle, a Rem M700 in 260.

I know the 6.5 swede is very close, when handloaded, to the ballistics of the 260. I'm wondering what type of game you have taken with either cartridge, and what bullet weight, type, range, etc. What bullet is your favorite for medium game, like deer?

Also, what do you feel is the largest game that should be hunted with these cartridges? I know moose hunters in Europe use 6.5's all the time, but that may be all they have to use.

one of us
Picture of Slingster
posted Hide Post
6.5:

I happen to think the .260 Rem is a well-matched cartridge for ultralight, compact rifles and deer-sized animals with 120 and 140-grain bullets, and even elk and moose with 160-grain bullets, provided ranges are reasonable (say, under 200 yards).

I used a Rem Model Seven in .260 Rem to take a whitetail doe, maybe 170 pounds, last November. I loaded the 160-grain Hornady RN bullet to around 2350 fps, because my concept for this rifle was to have a modern incarnation of the classic 6.5x54 Mannlicher-Schoenauer carbine.

The range was about 20 yards, quartering toward me, facing left. The bullet smashed through the left shoulder joint and punctured a rib, went through the top of the heart, and punctured another rib coming out. The doe made 25 yards in five big bounds and collapsed. It was dead by the time I walked up on it.

Posts: 1079 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use my 6.5x55 on muntjac, roe and fallow with only 100gr bullets. It is exceptionaly accurate, pleasant and deadly effective.

Swedish hunting law sets a standard which most other countries can only look at enviously. If it is legal in Sweden to shoot moose with 6.5x55 and 140 or 156gr bullets it's good. It's certainly not all they have but I think I'm right in saying half the moose shot are shot with a 6.5x55.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Peter>
posted
Doesn't Sweden also have a "test" to prove that you can hit the target (the infamous 2 headed moose) in order to get a license? If hitting what you aiming at is half the battle, and using the right bullet is the other half, it seems that the bases are covered.
peter.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used the 6.5X55 in a Swedish mauser and an M700 Remington to take hogs up to 100kg, several fallow deer and whitetails, one oryx and I've seen red deer taken with the cartridge. Ranges were generally less than 100 meters, except the red deer which was ~200 meters away. Bullet weights were generally 140 grainBarnes XLC and Noslers, but I shot a few fallow deer with 125 grain Noslers. My wife will be using an M700 in 6.5X55 to hunt red deer this fall. That particular rifle shoots Barnes XLC bullets quite well, so we will stick to those - as you know Barnes penetrate quite well and the 6.5X55 bullets have a reputation for good penetration. Don't forget that it is the rifleman(woman) and not necessarily the rifle that matters most.

Posts: 258 | Location: Houston, Texas, USA | Registered: 18 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Kimmo E>
posted
Yes we have to take a shooting test and a theory test to hunt.

6,5 worked well for me.

I have seen a 305kg (slaughted weight) moose bull who have dropped in 100y for it(not mine).

The 6,5mm is the smallest caliber allowed for moose in sweden.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My Swede has performed well on an assortment of deer, antelope and coyotes, which covers its suitable game range well. It is very deadly with 120 gr bullets at 2950 f/s and the Rem 700 Rifle is a dream to shoot. As a dedicated Moose/Elk Rifle not my choice but I would not turn down the shot with a 140 gr bullet. Very easy to load for and recoil is low and fun to shoot. I would use it for all my deer hunting except for the history and success I have with the 270.

BR

Posts: 174 | Location: ,Alberta ,Canada | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of 6.5X55's. I normally shoot 125 gr Partitions or 129 gr Hornadays. My experience has been limited to whitetails and hogs (some rather large) with this caliber. I find there is no real difference in killing power between this caliber and a 270. It almost pains me to say this because I really like my 270's. As with the 270, I wouldn't choose to use one on elk but wouldn't hesitate if it were the only rifle I owned. I'd move up the bullet weight of course.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My 6.5/55 is an open sighted shortened model 96 and I have loaded it to just 2450 with the Hornady 140 grain spire points to take many hogs and a really nice mule deer. Longest shot was 125 yards and I see no reason to change bullets. The only recovered bullet was dug out of a 200 pound feral hogs knee after it went through the hogs body from the opposite side shoulder. It still weighed 90 grains.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote