Find
Notify
Tools

Wolf shot in South Dakota
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Wolf Shot In Roberts County, South Dakota

The illegal killing of a wolf in northeastern South Dakota brings a reminder from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and the Game, Fish and Parks Department that wolves are protected by federal and state law.

On January 25, 2009, a Wolf was shot and killed by a coyote hunter in Roberts County. The wolf was a female and weighed approximately 70 pounds. The female wolf was traveling with a second and larger animal which is also likely a wolf. In addition to that wolf, an individual reported seeing two more animals which are also likely wolves in the area later that same day.

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and the South Dakota Game Fish and Parks Department want to remind individuals that wolves are protected under the Endangered Species Act and state law, and it is illegal to kill them.

Individuals planning on hunting coyotes in north-eastern South Dakota, particularly in Northern Roberts County, must use extreme caution before shooting any coyotes to ensure that the animal is definitely a coyote and not a wolf.

--GFP--

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Wolf Shot In Roberts County, South Dakota

clap

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those wolves are coming from Minnesota. That are hitting the NE part of the state.

I live on the far western edge, 400 miles from where they were shot, in the Black Hills. They claim that the wolves will never gain a foothold here because "it just isn't wolf habitat" I'm still waiting for some WY migration to occur. Then they can tell me it's not wolf habitat.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
the whole country was wolf habitat they well live anyplace there is food and we do not shoot them. The black hills well be a great place for them if they ever get there

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
a wolf is like any other animal. All it needs is food, water, and a den. If a deposit of wolves was made in the Black Hills, they'd likely thrive.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
dancing The US Fish and Wildlife killed five more wolves here in Wyoming this week for killing some cattle.

Steve

Posts: 847 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Instead of writing a citation for the killing of a wolf, the USFWS should send a THANK YOU card to the individual.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The US Fish and Wildlife killed five more wolves here in Wyoming this week for killing some cattle.

Steve

Big Grin Thanks for cheering me up this morning! clap

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The State GFP has done some rule clarification and classification to be in position to manage wolves.

SD is not classified as a wolf recovery area. So in theory the GFP could manage a wolf population. But I don't think it would be that hard for the Feds to come in take over.

As far as being wolf habitat, there is not a doubt in my mind that the Black Hills could support wolves.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good shooting!! Now come on down here to Montana....bring a thousand rds of ammo....and have at it!!

FN in MT

'I'm tryin' to think, but nothin' happens"!

Curly Howard
Definitive Stooge

Posts: 350 | Location: Cascade, Montana | Registered: 26 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol Bull
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in Montana:
Good shooting!! Now come on down here to Montana....bring a thousand rds of ammo....and have at it!!

FN in MT

clap clap Hell, i'll help with ammo clap

" If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand which feeds you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countryman " Samuel Adams, 1772

Posts: 1117 | Location: Helena, MT, USA | Registered: 01 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ol Bull:
quote:
Originally posted by FN in Montana:

FN in MT

clap clap Hell, i'll help with ammo clap

thumb thumb
jumping

Don