Find
Notify
Tools

Turkey Hunting near Albuquerque??
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Redlander
posted
Does anyone know if there is any decent turkey hunting around Albuquerque? Specifically in the Cibola National Forest. I've got a business/training trip there at the end of April and might consider going a little early to try and bag a Merriam's if possible. It'd also be a good excuse to be outside a little.

Not really interested in a guided hunt but a DIY sort of thing. I'm also not trying to find out someone's "honey hole", but just sort of pointed in the right direction.

Thanks in advance.

If you are going to carry a big stick, you've got to whack someone with it at least every once in while.

Posts: 842 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 23 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Redlander: I just moved from Grants, New Mexico in June because of health reasons, otherwise, I'de still be there. I don't have his telephone number now, but call information and get the number for the United States Forest Service office on Lobo Canyon Road. Ask for Chuck Hagerdon, the district ranger for the Mount Taylor Ranger District of Cibola National Forest. Explain to him what you are up to and I'm sure he can put you on to locations. When I was in the area I had better luck with turkey in the Zuni Mountains, which is part of the Cibola National Forest and is about 20 miles from Grants. I've seen several large flocks on and near Forest Road 180 in the Zuni Mountains. Roads permitting, just outside of Milan on the west side, you will see a paved road leading off to the left. Turn on that road and it will take you over Interstate 40. Keep on the road and it will turn into a gravel road. Keep on the road through the scrub brush and on up into the ponderosa pine trees to the very end of the road. That is about 14 miles. Turn left and go about five more miles to Diener Canyon. That place is loaded with turkey. Ask Chuck about road conditions. If he isn't there, contact the Cibola County Sheriff's Department and ask for Detective Harry Hall or Undersheriff Johnny Valdez. Each of them are hunters and should also know road conditions. Johnny might also turn you on to some turkey hotspots. You would be well advised to buy the Mount Taylor Ranger District of Cibola National Forest map. They are $7 and show almost all of the backroads. In any event, be very sure to ask about road conditions. Those mountain roads can suck a vehicle right out of site after a decent rain. Even a four-wheel-drive is useless. You can also look at County Road 42 off of New Mexico 53 south of Grants. It too, is absolutely horrible when wet. The road is called the Back Country Byway and it connects New Mexico 53 with New Mexico 117. There is a boatload of public lands there called the Cibola Wilderness. Belongs to the Bureau of Land Management and is home to turkey, elk, mule deer, antelope, quail, p-dogs and tons of coyotes. It is 33 miles of rough back road on Cibola County Road 42. About 18 miles of it is pretty darn good hunting. Saw a bull elk back in there one day that would top 370 easy, but like all elk, he knew the season was not on so he stood there giving me a perfect broadside view of him, then he turned around, and gave me a perfect broadside shot of the other side of him. I found an old rubline of his. That damn thing was so big that I could not reach the top of his rubs on the trees and I'm 5'8" tall. That area is truly amazing, but again, if anyone says it is the least bit wet, forget it. You'll find yourself walking out of a remote area. There are a few homes back in there, but those are far apart. Anyway, if you do contact any of those folks I told you about, tell them that Tom Purdom said hello. Have a tolerable day. Tom Purdom

Posts: 499 | Location: Eudora, Ks. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of hunting1
posted Hide Post
MT Taylor or the Zunis have turkey. Not too far from Albuquerque. Good luck!

Good Shoot'n!

Posts: 90 | Location: Albuquerque, NM | Registered: 02 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redlander
posted Hide Post
Tom,

Thanks for the great information. If I get in touch with any of the guys you mentioned, I'll pass along a hello.

If you are going to carry a big stick, you've got to whack someone with it at least every once in while.

Posts: 842 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 23 January 2004Reply With Quote