New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are Mt Goats good to eat?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just wondering how the meat of a Mt Goat eats?
Thanks
Michael

Posts: 782 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 03 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had my mountain goat boned out and made into sausage. Excellent sausage. MTG

Posts: 241 | Location: NW Montana | Registered: 22 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since most take the oldest billy they can find, it isn't any wonder that goat meat is reputed to be tough meat.

465h&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I made mine into hamburger cut with 15-20% beef fat. It was the best wild game hamburger I have yet had. Better than Elk burger, deer burger or antelope burger.

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I thought my Goat was really good!
I shot an older Billy and some cuts were kind of tough but the flavor was very good I was pleased. I didn't make any sausage or grind out of mine I cut steaks roasts and stew meat.
My Bighorn Sheep on the other hand was not fit to eat.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jjbull
posted Hide Post
I have yet to kill a Mt Goat (can't even draw a tag) but have 2 friends that have in recent years.

Their comments on the meat:

1) Even the gravy is tough.

2) It's a good thing it tastes good, 'cause you have to chew it a LONG time.

What I ate from each wasn't bad.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Give me the simple life; an AK-47, a good guard dog and a nymphomaniac who owns a liquor store.

Posts: 818 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota/Florida's Gulf Coast | Registered: 23 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine was like gnawing on boot leather.

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unfortunatly, I had to feed mine to the hounds, I would do as stated above have it made into sausage.

Steve

Posts: 847 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Don't know about Mt. Goat, but I have heard similar negative comments about javelina and Musk-Ox. Had a lot more experience with javelina, and they taste excellent if cooked properly. Only killed one Musk-Ox, but regret not nhaving brought more of the meat home. a little tough, but if cooked on low heat for an extended cooking period, it was excellent.

From my experience with game meat, the biggest problem is 90% in the mind of the person eating it.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have eaten chamois and ibex. If aged well, the meat is delicious.

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Colorado Bob
posted Hide Post
Yep, tough & chewy. Made most of mine into stew meat or burger. I've shot my 1st & last mtn goat. Bob

Posts: 599 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 09 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
I have had tough, gamey goat and mild tender goat.

I think its one of those things like bear meat you just dont know til you eat it what an individual goat might taste like.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Elmer Keith mentioned [ "Sixguns "] that they found Mtn goat acceptable though it had to be boiled a long time , after eating rancid bacon for many days ! rotflmo

one of us
posted Hide Post
Marinades and or pressure cookers go a long way on an old goat. Sauasage of course is a cure all for most any old male of any species. A younger goat is excellent fare. Even an older goat is good if cooked slow and long. Even on a spit if cooked slow and left fairly rare should be good. Like most game they tend to dry out fast and get real chewey if overcooked. A makeshift oven of basalt and clay worked really well on a hind quarter.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Oh almost forgot, once home goat is a great candidate for sous vite then a quick sear for appearance on the the grill.

Happiness is a warm gun

Posts: 4106 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Depends on how hungry you are.

Posts: 11995 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Definitely edible, but not a top choice among game meat. Nothing wrong with the flavor, but tough and chewy. Ground up it is fine, but so is the shank of a good elk or deer. I've had no problem eating the three I've taken, but it is always used gournd or as a lesser cut of meat.
Bill

Posts: 1088 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I pulled the loins and backstraps off mine, marinated them and cooked them on the grill. Great flavor but a little tough. Made jerky out of the rest. While it wasn't as good as deer or elk it was pretty good and didn't waste a single scrap of meat. I did the same thing with the only Auodad I've taken.

Posts: 60 | Location: Colorado by birth. Navy by choice. | Registered: 01 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really liked the flavor of Mtn Goat, having tried only two. Here is the best way to prepare it:

Cut the loins into 2" thick steaks. Get 2, 4 foot pieces of 2x6. Place the steaks on one 2x6 and place the other 2x6 on top. Then drive over the wood with a SUV/Pick-up. Now they are ready to cook.

Honestly, it was some of the best flavored meat I have eaten, just tough. If I had it to do over again, I would have aged the loins in the fridge for 14 days, which would have made it much more tender.

Posts: 783 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the couscous we ate with rocky goat was great.

Posts: 1742 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada. | Registered: 21 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In general, Mt. Goat is good but tough. The couple I have had tasted good, but the piece seemed to get bigger the longer you chewed it. It seems tougher than the other sheep, deer, elk species. Ground, stewed, or crock potted seems to be the way to go.

A lot of people believe it is because they are designed to climb and use their muscles for strength maneuvers, rather than run away in bursts of speed, for periods of time like other species.

Skeletal muscle is made up of bundles of individual muscle fibers called myocytes. Each myocyte contains many myofibrils, which are strands of proteins (actin and myosin) that can grab on to each other and pull. This shortens the muscle and causes muscle contraction. That is what is tough, and the proteins are what breaks down when you age meat.

If you have a lot of fast twitch muscles, there is much more strength and also more fiber in the muscle. Long lean slow twitch muscles have less, and theoreticaly are more tender.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Idaho Falls, Idaho | Registered: 03 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One of the best wild game dishes I ever had was mountain goat done up as a pot roast. A friend brought to a wild game feed and it was outstanding. Not tough at all and excellent flavor.

Mart

"...I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprize, and independance to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 993 | Location: Wasilla, AK | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 458Lottfan
posted Hide Post
My brother and I have killed two on Kodiak, They were both outstanding to eat!!

Posts: 583 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 08 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FishN4Eyes
posted Hide Post
I really like the flavor of mountain goat but my experience is they are a bit chewy.

I steaked the prime cuts (backstraps and tenderloins) and made jerky and sausage out of the rest.

Posts: 736 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 28 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mine is tough as a boot... unless cooked in a crock pot for at least 8 hours. If cooked 12 hours is becomes much more tender. It is very tasty, just needs a lot of cooking time to tenderized.

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
From my limited experience of one old SW Montana billy, NO! He was the worst smelling and foul tasting meat that I have ever tried to eat. I even had a local meat shop grind him all into sausage.

I have two upright freezers and later that year one of them quit working. Luckily it was the freezer with the goat and not the one full of elk meat.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1632 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote