THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Are Winchester 70's in SA lefties a reality ????

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are Winchester 70's in SA lefties a reality ????
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Not much is ever posted or published about new left handed firearms. I usually post a once a year query about new lefties for the year. This year I recieved few replies. I have a Winchester 2004 catalog. They list a 70 short action in both the LT and Featherweight chambered for the standard WSM's. I saw Boddington pictured with one. I have not found any listed on Gunsamerica or other. Are these being produced, are they just getting out latter in the year, or is there a snafu at Winchester ????

Anyone else waiting on new lefties to appear ???

Posts: 346 | Location: Las Cruces, New Mexico | Registered: 05 January 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Jesse,

I think they are 'vaporware'. Have you contacted USRAC directly?

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been looking for them for over a year, the gun stores I goto say they have them on order but have never received any. If Winchester made some, they made a very short run.
Many years ago Browning made a run of short action stainless stalker A-Bolt. I was lucky enough to get one. A few years later I read that Browning's run was very very small, it interested me enough that I called Browning to ask if this was true. They told me they couldn't disclose the exact number made, but my 7mm08 w/ BOSS was about 1 of only 10 made.
I think most of those companies don't want a lot of inventory sitting around, and most gun shops don't have a bunch of lefties in their inventory, they run a limited supply , fill the outstanding orders and that's it for another year.
I finally got sick of waitng and orders a MRC short action lefty and guess what, I'm still waiting over a year later, I guess it doesn't matter if your big or small, they all like to screw us lefties.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I talked to Montana rifle last week, they have a bunch of left handed actions in stock, and barrels to attach in a variety of calibers.

Posts: 359 | Location: 40N,104W | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's gotten to where I don't really get worked up about new stuff, as there usually is no new stuff for lefties. This catalog was given to me after a purchase in the local gun shop. I thought they were new for 2004 and just late coming out. Sounds as though you guys knew about them for a while. Would be nice to have a quality factory rifle in a WSM.

As for Montana, again, I am really tired of waiting. I vented on another thread. Too young to have that much patience. To me it's like paying for a car, and having to wait a year to obtain it.......why ????? The nickel and dime, string along makes it worse. " I spoke with ____ , and he said they're coming soon....." I just talked with ______, and he said not much longer." Blah, Blah, Blah...

I could not readily find a contact number for Winchester, only a website that is difficult to navigate through.

Posts: 346 | Location: Las Cruces, New Mexico | Registered: 05 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Iron Buck
posted Hide Post
I have been looking for a LH 270WSM M70 Featherweight since they were listed on the web site & the catalog last year. I even wrote Winchester who said they would be available last fall. Fall came & went.......... Never happened.....I never found one. Anywhere. < !--color-->

For 2004 The Winchester website did not list the featherweight in LH at all. I figured they just scrapped it. Then I saw the 2004 catalog They listed the LH featherweight as being available in the WSM shortmags AGAIN....Still I have never found one.

I saw the article where Boddigton had and used one....so maybe there is hope? I do not know for sure...I never did write Winchester again.

I'd really like to have a LH featherweight. I ALWAYS LOVED the way they looked. I'd actually preffer a Regular 270 or even an 06.....but I'd take a 270 WSM if I could get one. And then hope that it was a good & accurate one from the factory ......Here's to hoping anyway

Posts: 813 | Location: Wexford PA, USA | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Called a friend that works at Winchester corportate. They are scheduled to build the short mags later this year and will fill all backorders. They do have 7mm Rem mags, 270 Wins and 300 Win mags in stock. I guess those would be Sporter LT's. I guess any dealer can buy them?

Aaron

Posts: 174 | Location: Utah | Registered: 15 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jesse, I am a lefty and I just gave up even looking for lefty bolt guns. I shoot a T/C Encore, and have barrels in .270win, .308win, .338win., among others. Not everyones cup of tea though, but it works just fine for me.

Posts: 358 | Location: Stafford, Virginia | Registered: 14 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Iron Buck
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Called a friend that works at Winchester corportate. They are scheduled to build the short mags later this year and will fill all backorders. They do have 7mm Rem mags, 270 Wins and 300 Win mags in stock. I guess those would be Sporter LT's. I guess any dealer can buy them?

Aaron

Any idea if the upcoming SAs will be Featherweights or the LT versions? Or both? Any more info would be great, Thanks

Posts: 813 | Location: Wexford PA, USA | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
I know you guys are talking about Winchesters, but have you given any thought to a Ruger? My buddy just ordered a left .270 from Wal-Mart for his boy. Took about three days to show up. Seems like they're readily available. Still a CRF with three-position safety. I've seen them on GB and AA too. Just something to think about.

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
September production for both Featherweights and Sporter LT's in WSM calibers. There will probably be a lag between production and hitting the shelves, but I am not sure how long that would be. Get your orders in if you want one.

Aaron

Posts: 174 | Location: Utah | Registered: 15 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Iron Buck
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info Hopefully.....Winchester follows through this time. I have a standing order for this rifles since last year but I will call my dealer to update him.

As far as the Rugers go, I have several Mark IIs and like them a lot. I have always wanted a M70 Featherweight in LH. Hopefully I will get my wish This is more an issue of want than need LOL

posted Hide Post
As I understand it, they'll only be chambered in the WSM cartridges.

As such, they are unappealing.

As for Ruger M77s, not freakin' likely!

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
george whats wrong with the rugers? my lefty mk2 in 30-06, competes with my varmit rifles for great accuracy.

Posts: 310 | Location: middle tennesse | Registered: 05 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Iron Buck
posted Hide Post
My Ruger Mark IIs are great. They are more accurate than The LH M70s that I have other than my M70 with the BOSS. My (3) Rugers all shoot just under minute of angle. They are in 300 win mag, 270 win along with a RH 243 for my daughter. The actions are nice & tight, the bolt operates smoothly and the (2) with stock triggers are acceptable. I put a Timney in my 300 win mag.

Ruger gets a bad rap on this board.......but mine have had better in quality & accuracy than my Winchesters out of the box. About on par with my Remington 700s (all pre 1990 guns). IMHO Rugers are great bargains.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have nothing against Rugers, make a darn nice gun, but they don't make short actions in their left handed models.
I think the title of this post is "short actions" and as good as Ruger is they don't give a rat's azz for lefties that what something besides a long action .

one of us
posted Hide Post
The brownings are available in lefty shorts. Never owned a browning bolt, how are they? I do not know why they do not use the m70 action. Both are owned by same company.

Posts: 310 | Location: middle tennesse | Registered: 05 February 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Quote:

george whats wrong with the rugers? my lefty mk2 in 30-06, competes with my varmit rifles for great accuracy.

1) They don't make a short-action left-hand
2) They don't make a long-magnum left-hand
3) Barrels are of questionable quality (I know, I know, NOW they make them in-house, but for 30 years they were using low-bidder quality barrels)
4) That STUPID angled front action screw!
5) The triggers are NON-ADJUSTABLE; fuck'em if they don't trust me to adjust my trigger properly
6) Investment cast receivers
7) Hit-and-miss accuracy with their rifles
and finally,
8) Bill Ruger himself was a lefty, and the son of a bitch waited about 50 years to produce a LH rifle!

George
P.S. Five of my six LH Model 70s shoot sub-MOA (the sixth is an unfired .300 Win. being converted into a .458 Win. Mag.).

one of us
posted Hide Post
George-

Such language is offensive to me..............Yeah Right. You being the lefty handed gun whore that you are....tell me how you always get your skinners on all of the hard to find deals. I am still interested in a SA in a WSM configuration. I don't have as much money as you to piss away, so for a while I bought Savages. I have a pile of them. Functional, but still Savages. I am tired of waiting for this Montana deal to go through. I'd probably use an SA from them, but what stocks would even be available for a SA 1999 in a lefty ?????

As for the Winchesters, do you need to buddy up to a gunshop, pay for the rifle, then wait a year ??? I understand that they have to eat too, but after having my own FFL and knowing what a gun really costs, it's hard for me to stay loyal to a shop, and smile, while giving them double the cost of the firearm.

posted Hide Post
Jesse,
I work hard at finding LH M-70s (I used to work just as hard at finding LH 700s, but with Remington quality slipping so dramatically in the last few years and Winchester offering LH rifles...).

When I find one at a good price, I ask a few very specific questions, and if the answers are 'correct', I buy it. No hesitation. There is always money in 'The LH M-70 Acquisition Fund'.

Of course, now I am somewhat saturated with M-70 rifles, so the buying spree has abated some; actually I am diverting my focus to building a couple of rifles on those M-70s, like the .458 and a .416 Remington.

The story on the MRC's is that any stock that fits the M-70 will/can be fitted to the MRC. McMillan supposedly already has the dimensions; look for others, like H-S Precsion, Rimrock, etc. to follow suit once the demand calls for it.

I don't loan money interest-free to gunshops or anyone else.
I once laid $100 deposit and waited a year for a LH 700 .30-06, which never arrived. Needless to say, I got my money
back.

There is a lot of leg work and research involved in finding LH M-70s. Of course, some of the sellers are bloodsuckers looking to extract a premium for a LH .375H&H, but you are not obligated to pay that premium. Others want what they paid for the gun or somewhat less. Others still have lost interest and want something new to shoot (look for this last type!).

Savages are extremely accurate, especially at their price point. My 10FLP .223 regularly and consistently shoots one-hole groups with my handloads (varmint bullets, not match). My wife's 112FLVSS .22-250 is almost as accurate. I had a 110L .338 that shot very well, too.

However, they are like a chunky or plain-faced girlfriend; they do everything they can to make you happy, you just hope none of your friends see you with one.

George
P.S. I don't 'piss my money away', except for what I spend on taxes, food and clothing.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Did you also know that mr. ruger shot right handed? All of his custom rifles are right handed and he figured everyone should shoot right handed.

NH_Hunter

Posts: 97 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 12 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Our local Big 5 Sports had two Featherweights(7mm WSM and a .300 WSM) about 6-7 months ago. My son, a southpaw, was drooling over them but never went ahead and bought one. Lawdog

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote