Find
Notify
Tools

The wild oxens
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of mr rigby
posted
I have been reading Capsticks Death in a lonely land , about the marajò in Brazil and the Seladang in South-East Asia, where Berry Brooks hunted his in Vietnam in 1961.

A hunt that could have been wery much a story from a war zone ,since it was a hunt in a war zone. He went in there after a bull that weighed a bit over 3000 pounds and 7 feet tall at the shoulder ! sofa

and the marajò that Capstick wrote so fine about , the red waterbuffalo in the swamps in Brazil , he has the temperament of an constipated sumo wresteler and the tenacity of an IRS man. BOOM sofa sofa, well that sounds like a very interresting way to lose some weight, since a guy can lose about 10 pounds of weight on a tour .

Posts: 1196 | Location: Kristiansand,Norway | Registered: 20 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Now those sound like fun hunts!
Can the common man still hunt those Bulls or are they reserved for the rich and famous these days?
Every time I go on a good Elk hunt I lose about 8-10 pounds, Moose hunt in Alaska last fall I lost 14 pounds on a 13 day hunt. On my Bighorn Sheep hunt I lost about 10-12 pounds on that too but I hunt and hike really hard, serious hunts are not to be taken lightly and animals shall be persued with gusto!

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Brazil has closed just about all hunting.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12603 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mr rigby
posted Hide Post
Well Argentina has the Cebues , a wild Indian cattle or waterbuffalo, arnt sure, but Juan has hunts for them, they weigh 6-700 kg,and are very aggressive he said,and now as i have scoped my . ruger .450 NE with a Leupold 1-4x20.

The abillity to book a hunt with him gets more dangerous for the wallet, but the bank manger can probly borrow him some so i dont need to take the loan!!

Unfortunately yes Brazil has stopped the hunting, but there is other places, around the world which has widl oxens.

Snellstrorm ,when you mention the elk, i was at Norwegian paleontolic museum a little while back, and there have a scull and antlers of a extinct Giant Elk, whose horn is 3 meter wide!!!

Can it be cloned i wonder? Tame one and you have a perfect luggage carrier,just strap it on his horns!!

Posts: 1196 | Location: Kristiansand,Norway | Registered: 20 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of HARDBALLER
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mr rigby:
Well Argentina has the Cebues , a wild Indian cattle or waterbuffalo, arnt sure, but Juan has hunts for them, they weigh 6-700 kg,and are very aggressive he said,and now as i have scoped my . ruger .450 NE with a Leupold 1-4x20.

The abillity to book a hunt with him gets more dangerous for the wallet, but the bank manger can probly borrow him some so i dont need to take the loan!!

Unfortunately yes Brazil has stopped the hunting, but there is other places, around the world which has widl oxens.

Snellstrorm ,when you mention the elk, i was at Norwegian paleontolic museum a little while back, and there have a scull and antlers of a extinct Giant Elk, whose horn is 3 meter wide!!!

Can it be cloned i wonder? Tame one and you have a perfect luggage carrier,just strap it on his horns!!
There is an interesting article in TIME magazine this week about cloning. Seems like it's a crap shoot. It takes lots of attempts just to get a living clone, and science has not made a lot of advances in that regard. A clone can be bred sucessfully with a "naturally made " specimen, but when a clone is bred with a clone, seems like all their problems multiplies. My vote would be more super models, saber toothed tigers, and wooly mammoths.

Posts: 194 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 08 April 2004Reply With Quote