THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    OT: Binocs and Spotting Scope: What Do Use and Why?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

OT: Binocs and Spotting Scope: What Do Use and Why?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted
I am looking at the Minox line of both binocs and Spotting Scopes. German made
waterproof ect.

I have also been looking at the Kowa line. Both approximately the same regards to cost.

Any comments appreciated.

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Proximo>
posted
I have both Minox 8x32 binos and a Kowa TSN-821 spotting scope. Both are excellent and, I suspect, whichever is cheaper is probably the best one to buy.

<Vek>
posted
Stumbled across this website yesterday - interesting reading from a guy with access to LOTS of high-end optics.

www.betterviewdesired.com

-Jerry

one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Bino : Swarovski 10x42 EL
Spotting scope : Swarovski AT80HD

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use Leica (8x20) and Pentax (10x42) binoculars and a Kowa (TSN-1, old one) spotting scope. All have provided me with good value for money.

If you are shopping at the higher end there are no bad optics, it's much more a matter of how the bino's fit you and what you are willing to pay. I would recommend testing (preferably out-doors) several bino's and comparing their "feel" against each other. It's very important, for speed and comfort, that they fit you well.

Posts: 544 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 27 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Roger, I know nothing of the line of optics you are considering, so have no opinion there.

On the other hand, I own a well used Kowa spotting scope that I would not trade for any other I have seen so far. I shoot pistol and rifle silhouette competition and it gets used a lot. A brief look up and down the line at most competitions reveal Kowa is the most popular BY FAR! I admit it would be a little big and heavy for packing around while hunting, but the optics are superb.

In regard to binoculars I did what I suspect a lot of people do. I started out with Bushnell, then went to Pentax, then to Leupold, and finally had the good sense to buy some made by Swarovski. I whined over the cost all the way home, but they are the best optic investment I have ever made. Mine are the 7 X 30 model and for hunting they are great, plenty of view, small size, reasonable weight, and clear as they can be.
My dad had to go and get the new EL model 10 X 42's and I wish I had never seen them. He costs me more money that way!
[Wink]
R F

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
Binoculars: Leica. For all-around quality and performance, they simply can't be beat.

Spotting scope: I usually use a set of Zeiss 15X60 binoculars with a tripod adapter, plus a Zeiss doubler if I need more magnification. I like the comfort of using both eyes, plus the wide field of view.

Now, if I wanted to buy a straight spotting scope, I'd go with the latest compact Swarovski (HD, I think it's called). I had a guide in Utah this year who owned one, and we used it every day for a week of hunting. It was superb, and I intend to purchase one of them myself.

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
I recently switched to Kahles binocs, a change I will never regret..They are fantastic and you can save about $400 while your at it....Also these glasses are the most user friendly for folks that wear glasses that I have ever seen. I traded my Leicas for a pre-64 Win. after using the Kahles this year...They are no better than the Leicas or Swaroskis but they are every bit as good...

My spotting scope is and old B&L taped to a rifle stock thats been cut off and has a sling on it..works great and it's always handy.

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<ovis>
posted
Roger,

The Minox you refer to have been around for years and are of excellent quality. They are a subsiiary of Leica now. This year, in sheep and grizzley camp in the Brooks, I ahd the oppoetunity to use Leica, Zeiss, Swarovski, Pentax, and Leupold. Leica, Zeiss, and Swarovski are head and shoulders above the rest. I, too, believe that the top three are only different ergonomically. There is little to no difference optically. I don't think you would be disappointed with any of those three or the Minox for that matter.

Joe

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use Pentax DCF WP 8x42 and like them a lot. A friend brought two pairs of Kahles 10x42 to the range the other day and I liked them a lot, too.

I just ordered a used Leupold 25x50 spotting scope -- been wanting their variable but this one's a few oz. lighter and half the price.

John

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote